Vista Cruise. Simple my &&^$*(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Cruise. Simple my &&^$*(

I purchased one of the inexpensive universal throttle locks. I cannot get this thing to allow my throttle to return. I see in some of the threads that the throttle has to be manually returned. I don't care for that at all. Has anyone been able to do something about this, or should i just see if i can send it back?
    Thanks for any help.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Is it the small plastic one at the top of this page? http://www.casporttouring.com/thesto...ta-Cruise.html

I couldn't get mine to work because the lock has a shallow inset that won't fit over and pinches the rubber handlebar grip.

I turned it around backwards and put it with the lock lever pointing forward. The inset fits over the switch assembly and it doesn't pinch the handlebar grip. I use my index finger to set/unset the lock instead of my thumb.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

throttle boss

you could buy a throttle boss it is not a cruise control but a small paddle you rest your palm on and it keeps you at a certain speed,, my friends and i use and like them,,about 10 bucks,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
      The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
      moemcnally@hotmail.com
      i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Don't know which on you have.There is one on mine (was there when i got the bike) I don't use it that often cause it doesn't lock the throttle all the time and i've been to lazy to mess with it.But when it does lock and i flip it to the side to unlock the throttle snaps back.
        1980 XS1100g

Comment

I think i might just take and hog the hole out a little bit, and see if it works. It is the cheap one, like at the top of Scott's posted link. I don't quite get what Scott is talking about on fitting his though.
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
            I don't quite get what Scott is talking about on fitting his though.
            Bob, instead of installing the lock on the handlebars with the thumb lever facing you, turn it around so it's pointing forward. It should fit that way without cutting anything.

The thumb switch faces the front of the bike, use the index finger to lock/unlock.

The inset on the lock body fits over the kill switch housing.
            You can see that it would pinch and rub on the rubber handlebar grip.

The bottom of the throttlelock with the retaining clip.
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hey Scott. The rubber from the grip is not the problem, i have it pulled back.The problem is that the sleeve seems to be a larger diameter than the lock can accomodate. even with the thumb lock removed i can't put hardley any pressure on the two parts, and it locks the throttle up. This thing will have to wait until August to screw with. I leave today for a youth camp, and i am taking the bike,
              1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

I dunno, Bob, maybe you have a different part? I assume that by removing the thumb lever you unscrewed the brass adjuster nut and opened up the clamshell? The nut is supposed to be the adjustment for the thumb lever so unless you tightened it all the way down I have no idea why it won't fit on your bars.

The throttle lock is about the only moving part I haven't had to mess with since I put it on the bike two years ago.
                -- Scott
                _____

Comment

I had a similar problem with mine. The "detent" area was not angled properly, and it wouldn't stay locked. The lock itself is just molded plastic, so I used a piece of fine sandpaper on a flat surface and sanded it to the right angle. Maybe you have some burrs on the inside diameter of the grip hole that are not allowing it to clamp down all the way?

I had to trim about 1/4" of rubber from the grip, but the ring of the throttle lock makes it look like it came that way. You did get the Yamaha version, right? It took me a couple of rides to properly adjust the tension, but once I got it right, I can set it, and it holds, but I can still turn the grip to adjust the throttle with it locked. Once I unlock it, the trottle snaps back effortlessly.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Just got back from my week long youth camp experience. Rode up without the throttle lock. Thanks for the infor guys, i'll be working on it when i can. Have to get ready for the county fair, so the next 3 weeks will be tied up. The only riding will be to and from the fair grounds.
                    1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

One of those came with my bike I might have to put it on and give it a try. Never seen a pic of how its mounted so that might help!
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                      X