Stop&Go Pocket Tire Plugger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop&Go Pocket Tire Plugger

The Stop&Go Pocket Tire Plugger kit works as advertised! http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

I always check the tires before I ride and, naturally, I discovered that I had managed to make the streets a little safer for everyone by picking up a stray drywall screw with a brand new ME88 rear tire with only 600 miles on it.

The kit has a laminated instruction card complete with pictures but this was the first time I had to use the Stop&Go kit. It only took about ten minutes to read the directions, remove the screw, clean the hole, put in the plug, air up the tire and ride to the store -- fantastic!

I don't trust patches or plugs for long-term use so I will be replacing the tire ASAP ($150 for a new tire vs $150,000 for a hospital visit and a new motorcycle, maybe a little less for a nice closed-casket funeral) but the Pocket Tire Plugger got the bike up and running.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

patches

RI don't understand why a patch on the inside of the tire is no good it works fine for a car
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by GARTHXS View Post
      RI don't understand why a patch on the inside of the tire is no good it works fine for a car
      Short answer: Stuff happens. Tire plugs and patches can fail and have failed.

Long answer: A repair plug that I installed in the rear tire of my bike failed and almost killed me and several other people. It was 100% my fault.

A failed patch killed two of my friends, husband and wife, on their motorcycle. When one tire goes flat cars are less likely to fall over at speed on the freeway and pin you underneath them while scraping off one side of your helmet and your skull on the concrete center divider. The tire patch was installed by their dealership. The flowers were installed by FTD.

New tires are expensive in the short term but much less expensive in the long term. The Stop&Go Pocket Tire Plugger makes an excellent temporary repair that will get you back on the road and it's easy to use.
      -- Scott
      _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Point made Scott!!!!
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
        A quick death and an easy one.
        A pretty girl and an honest one.
        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Tube?

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
          Short answer: Stuff happens. Tire plugs and patches can fail and have failed.

Long answer: A repair plug that I installed in the rear tire of my bike failed and almost killed me and several other people. It was 100% my fault.

A failed patch killed two of my friends, husband and wife, on their motorcycle. When one tire goes flat cars are less likely to fall over at speed on the freeway and pin you underneath them while scraping off one side of your helmet and your skull on the concrete center divider. The tire patch was installed by their dealership. The flowers were installed by FTD.

New tires are expensive in the short term but much less expensive in the long term. The Stop&Go Pocket Tire Plugger makes an excellent temporary repair that will get you back on the road and it's easy to use.
          How about installing a tube after the patch work?
          Last edited by Nubian; 04-23-2011, 08:29 PM. Reason: activate notifications
          BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
            How about installing a tube after the patch work?
            Sure, a tube would work with a flat patch but things were a little more casual back in the day. Neither of my friends rose for Easter sunrise service this morning so I'll have to wait a while to ask them why they didn't have a tube installed after having the tire patched.

The Stop&Go plugs are shaped like rubber rivets and the head would rub against a tube so I would not use a tube with a plug.
            -- Scott
            _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
              Sure, a tube would work with a flat patch but things were a little more casual back in the day. Neither of my friends rose for Easter sunrise service this morning so I'll have to wait a while to ask them why they didn't have a tube installed after having the tire patched.

The Stop&Go plugs are shaped like rubber rivets and the head would rub against a tube so I would not use a tube with a plug.
              Also remember that any tire repair removes the speed rating of the tire. And putting a tube in a tire moves the speed rating down one step because of the added heat buildup of the tube.

I'll run a plug for a bit for local use if a tire is close to EOL until I order the new tire, but not for long trips and no sustained high speeds. I also have the stop and go kit. I do need to get a small pump though for on the road use. I do find it far more likely to get a puncture when the tire is close to the end of it's tread life than with a newer tire, probably because of the thinner rubber.

My last two punctures, were from (of all things) rocks. Stupid like triangle shaped rocks that got caught just right in the tire and then pounded through till the sharp point just barely pushed through the casing. Strangest thing I've ever seen. I've gone to checking regularly now, just to make sure, cause if I'd seen them in time, I could have prevented them from penetrating the tire. But my new front should have arrived today, just gotta get it mounted this weekend, pop the wheel off and drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon, or something like that.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                My last two punctures, were from (of all things) rocks. Stupid like triangle shaped rocks that got caught just right in the tire and then pounded through till the sharp point just barely pushed through the casing. Strangest thing I've ever seen. I've gone to checking regularly now, just to make sure, cause if I'd seen them in time, I could have prevented them from penetrating the tire.
                A long time ago I worked for a tire shop, and a number of times I have seen punctures from rocks just like you described. IMHO it's good practice to pick the rocks out when you are inspecting them.

Larry
                Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                82 XJ1100
                80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                64 Yamaha YA-6
                77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Cy, Yahman: I hate those little rocks! I always try to take a quick look and pick them out of the tires when I stop for a break or fuel up.

I used to have a chart from a tire shop; one of those informational pamphlets they put out for you to read while they have the wheels off your car and the installers break for lunch.

The chart was a guide for de-rating the load and speed ratings when you put tubes, patches or plugs in tubeless tires. The load ratings went down a lot but it wasn't really useful for motorcycles except to make you paranoid while you try to ride slower. No one is really going to pull the fairing, ditch the bags/topbox or kick the old lady to the curb just because they had to put a plug in a tire and they're close to or over the de-rated load rating. Just get another tire ASAP.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

I have the Stop N Go tire plugger and I've had to use it. It's a great "get you home" tool. The plugs aren't vulcanized and they will fail if you use them as they weren't intended.

Marty (in Korea)
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

i rode a plug for 500 mis once...scary thing to do...and so much slower due to paranoia... hope i never have to do that again...my zuki manual says, replace after 1mm or closer on front, and 3mm speeds above 80, and 2mm speeds below 80...who carries a measure stick when they ride?...
                      Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
                      Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Working...
                      X