Mike's XS - Coil replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike's XS - Coil replacement

Just finished this modification and man-alive it is the difference between night and day. Rolled out the drive way in a rural area after getting the bike started. Thought I had found the friction point in the clutch with the engine at around 3,000 rpm. Used to accidentally popping the clutch at this point would be a jolting lurch forward. Not today! The bike has so much more torque it pulled the front wheel off the ground!!! The modification is found at this location in the XS-11 web site.

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...l-upgrade.html

Definitely worth doing!
    Life is good. Especially when the XS-11 is running XSively well.

'79 XS1100 SF

Tell me you didn't go with the green wires!
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey TC!

Hey TC. I think you got blindsided by the "Green" wire comment.

Hope all is well!

Floyd & Janel
      Syracuse, NY
      '80G

Comment

Mike's XS Coil replacement

No Green wire for me... Mine are the other Gr... Gray but only because the green wires were not easily found... Just kidding.
        Life is good. Especially when the XS-11 is running XSively well.

'79 XS1100 SF

Comment

I may be ratarded

But does this work for an 1100? I checked out mikesxs and it seems everything is for 650's
          1980 XS1100 Special, ignition is more like a 79...

Comment

Mike's XS is strictly an XS650 business. Many parts are acceptable replacements for the XS1100. Do your homework. Mike's XS will not support you on any bike, but the XS650.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I guess thats next for me

Wow, impressed I am, have to do that this winter too.
              Bikes Now.
              80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
              79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
              83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
              83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
              08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

I did TC's Mod

I did TC's Mod with the mikesxs super coils. I have a 1980G and remembered to by-pass the ballast resistor. I Turned the bike over and the immediate differance I noticed as that the bike started and idled without the enichment lever pulled out. It had never done that before.

Comment

I didn't do the work but..my bike..

Mike's XS 650 coils.Work great.
                  '80 XS1100 SG
                  Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

I've been reading the posts about ignition coil replacement on the XS1100 and wondered if anyone could give me some input please. I just read MikesXS High Output Ignition Coil Upgrade on the site and it sounds really good. However, I'd like to be sure that it will suit my bike.

Mine is a 2H7 XS1100E from 1979. European version of the bike with square everything (including me). It has the 2H7 black box, original ignition coils and ballast resistor. The sparks at the plugs are not exactly powerful although the bike starts immediately and runs fine. "Leave well alone", I perhaps hear everyone say? I'm not sure what to do. I'd like more powerful sparks and am not sure about relying on 30 year old coils.

The modification mentioned in the MikesXS tip sounds good. If I fit these coils, do I need to disconnect the ballast resistor completely by unplugging it or do I have to join the wires together? I'm assuming the latter....

Would the above have any possible detrimental effect on the black box at all?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.......
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Follow up

I e-mailed MikesXS re the coils. He told me in a very short e-mail that he only ships to the US anyway. So much for global trade!
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I just got a brand new set of MikesXS High Output coils and test fit them to make sure that they would work, but after putting on and taking off the primary wires 2-3 times total one of the connectors dislodged from the coil So I tried to glue it back on to no avail and lo and behold the other terminal came off too. After this I double checked the other coil and it looks like it has the same problem.

I don't know if I just got a bad batch, but I am going to use Dynatek coils instead and send these Taiwanese pieces back.
                        79 SF 3H3 Engine, 145/45 Mikuni Jets, El Cheapo Pod Filter Mod w/ EMGO Pods, Coil Repower w/ Dyna Coils, Accell Wires and Side Gapped Plugs, 78 Mech Advance, 4-2 Turnouts

Comment

Originally posted by spayne83 View Post
                          I just got a brand new set of MikesXS High Output coils and test fit them to make sure that they would work, but after putting on and taking off the primary wires 2-3 times total one of the connectors dislodged from the coil So I tried to glue it back on to no avail and lo and behold the other terminal came off too. After this I double checked the other coil and it looks like it has the same problem.

I don't know if I just got a bad batch, but I am going to use Dynatek coils instead and send these Taiwanese pieces back.
                          Good call...mine lasted at most 5000 miles..junk!!
                          '80 XS1100 SG
                          Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Mike's coils get quite a bit of bad press. Z1 Enterprises has Dynatek coils at a good price.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Here's a Set...

Free shipping too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatek-Dyna...80532408760%26

BUT this may be a better price at Z1, Thanxs Jet :

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...x?item=DYDC1-1
                              Last edited by Schming; 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM.
                              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X