Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle lift,s, Harbor Freight

Hi ,
    I made the mistake of buying the forty dollar motorcycle lift, MANUAL for the rear wheel from HF, that lift is only for liteweitht bikes, such as motorcrossers or something. My eleven, cant be moved up with that thing at all. AVOID for any kind of road bike.
    Another item, a hydraulic lift, went for about eighty bux, listed as a jack for atv and mcs, I bought that about six months ago, and it was such an assembly problem, ended up taking it back, either there was something missing or some other problem that wasnt apparent to me.

I did buy a lift that does work from them though, its the whole bike lift, retail , about four hundred bux, I bought the pedal lift, not the automated one. One warning, DO NOT ROLL THE BIKE OFF THIS LIFT WITHOUT RAISING THE SIDESTAND. Dont ask me how I know this. They warned me when I left the store, that this is not a lift the operator can walk on or ride the bike on, THEY ARE CORRECT. DAMHIKT either. I got it for the bargain price of a bit over three hundred bux with coupons, its worth that,, but heed the warnings. Oh, and one final warning, the cylinder leaks fluid, if the cross bar isnt used , the weight of the bike cant be left on the hydraulic cylinder , it must be put into the steel bracing bar.
    80 MNS , Georgefix pods , crossed fuel lines, no octy, inline filters, Daytona handlebar, custom seat, Hardley 19 muffs

if your handy, go to this website and check itout

http://www.afabonline.com/table_lift_plans.htm

the guy sells plans
    but if you study all the pictures you can build one

I did
    and it lifts a full dressed xs11
    no problem
    http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
    78E main ride, since birth the "good"
    78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
    78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
    79F Parts
    80G Parts
    75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

well it looks like i will be building another lift
      i built one out of wood and black iron pipe for my scooters
      the plans i looked at for that one showed a motorcycle on it but i wouldnt trust it
      but i do like the looks of the metal table lift with wood work top

Comment

I bought the air/hydraulic one from HF last year. I use the safety bar but I have no problems leaving weight on it. I left my wife's V-Max on it for almost six months while I was rebuilding the motor with no ill effects. Take a look into the cylinder. If it's creeping I'd repair/replace it. Other than that it was worth every penny. Finally I can work like a normal human instead of the hunchback of Sussex County.
        Me Make Big Dings Wid Hamma N Welda

1979 XS1100F
        1985 VMX1200

Comment

Never thought about building one myself. All the more reason to buy myelf a nice welder!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            Never thought about building one myself. All the more reason to buy myelf a nice welder!
            Keep in mind material costs won't always be all that cheap; unless you can pick up some stuff very cheap or free, you'll find that buying is only slightly more $ than building. Steel isn't cheap.

With that said, I do build some items, particularly if what's available is a bit too 'universal'. But I'm not going to spend a whole weekend building something to save $20...

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I thought the Harbor Freight lift was too flimsy so I bought a Pro-Cycle lift. It was more expensive but it's better than lifts that cost twice as much.

Admittedly I was censoring going back to turning wrenches when I bought it and I've only had one paying bike project on it but I'm still happy I spent the $650 (with shipping) for it...

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Is this the lift you got from Harbor Freight?

A friend and I grabbed a display model maybe a couple months ago for about $200. It was missing the foot pedal, but everything is in good shape.
                We have yet to do anything with it, but it was more for my friend's husband who has been in Afghanistan for the past year.

Edit:
                We were thinking about rigging a detachable extension to fit his '67 Triumph chopper.
                Last edited by Prothec; 08-26-2010, 08:38 PM.
                82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                Website/Blog

Comment

yes that is the one

Hi Pro,

Yes that is the lift that I bought, am happy, doesnt leak at all now, but I do use the safety bar that comes with it. As above, if you back your bike off that, with the sidestand down, very unpleasant things happen. haha.
                  80 MNS , Georgefix pods , crossed fuel lines, no octy, inline filters, Daytona handlebar, custom seat, Hardley 19 muffs

Comment

I also have the whole bike lift from HF. I got it used at a yard sale for $75. The guy I got it from said he had never had a problem with his GL on it. I have left my XS11 up at max height for days without any problems. With the outriggers down just enough to clear the front casters, I ride my XS on and off with no problems. Two things to note though, can not pump it up with my bike on the side stand, to unstable, and when I put my XS on the center stand the first time it slid back six inches and would only slide forward on the c. stand until I used a tie down to hold the c. stand. Fixed that problem with a self adhesive nonskid pad also from HF. There is a hatch at the rear to help in removing the rear tire, but I riveted it down to forgo any problems.
                    1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
                    Braded stainless brake lines
                    4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
                    V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
                    Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
                    Vetter Windjammer III faring
                    Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
                    James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

I have the same lift. The only complaint I have is where they mount the eye bolts for tie downs. I mounted tie down bolts further forward on the deck and use camlock tiedowns instead of ratchets. A small hydraulic jack is useful on the deck from time to time.

Comment

Has anyone thought about trying to fit a pneumatic ram?

My friend who originally bought it gave it to me because they were given one of those small lifts that slide under the middle.

I need to rig something up for a lever to operate the hydraulic ram so I can use it....
                        82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                        Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X