Another Rusty Tank Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Rusty Tank Fix

Long story short, I found this fix on the website for the Kawasaki Concours, the Concours Owners Group (COG).

The product is called POR-15. It is a three step procedure and the results were excellent on my XJ1100's rusty tank.

Instead of copying the authors work and posting it here, this is the link to the COG page - http://concours.org/ca/tank.htm

I was dreading the job - you know chemicals the unknown but, it was actually pretty easy - I left the tank/petcocks/gas gauge installed for the first two steps and then removed them for the final coating. I wish I had thought of coating the inside of the gas cap and the gas gauge assembly with the small brush that was included with the kit. The kit is $27 and with S/H I think the total was $34.

Enjoy!

Let me know how it works over time. I am preparing to use a different sealer by Hirsch Automotive. Here is what Hirsch had to say about their product as compared to the POR-15 coatings.

"IT IS NOT A MOISTURE CURED URETHANE PAINT THAT IS SOLD BY ONE U.S. COMPANY AS A GAS TANK SEALER. THEIR OWN ADVERTISING TELLS YOU THAT IT IS MOISTURE CURED AND THAT ONCE YOU OPEN THE CAN YOU CANNOT RE-USE IT. THIS TYPE OF SEALER, USUALLY A LIGHT GRAY OR SILVER, WILL NOT STICK TO THE INTERIOR SURFACE OF MOST TANKS FOR VERY LONG AND GENERALLY 6-12 MONTHS LATER, WILL BREAK AWAY FROM THE INSIDE OF THE TANK AND WILL TURN INTO A FLOATING PLASTIC BAG INSIDE OF THE TANK. THAT TYPE OF ITEM WHILE BEING RESISTANT TO ALCOHOL WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE A TANK SEALER AND SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A FUEL TANK"

I went with the Hirsch because it is said to be the only type tank sealer that is used in aircraft.
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Now you tell me.
      I hope you're wrong about the bag thing. I will post a question to the other site and ask for a review from long time users.

Comment

Good luck

I would say somebody on this site has used it. My tank was a little rusty but I felt sealer was a little drastic No problems so far!
        Garry
        '79 SF "Battle Cat"
        outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
        X