U-haul motorcycle trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-haul motorcycle trailer

Rented one of these last weekend to go pick up a bike. I don't have a pickup and it was a non-runner.

Two thumbs down! Would not rent again unless all other options were exhausted! One tire was bald, both were over-inflated, it had a strange vibration\harmonic that made the whole vehicle hum when pulled at anything more then about 40mph. It also did not have working suspension - we all know the xs's are not light weight bikes and even loaded I never saw the suspension on that trailer flex at all, might as well have been a solid axle.

Not sure what else is available from "other" renters but next time I'll buy a kit trailer from harbor freight before I rent from u-haul.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Back in '99 when I bought my XJ I used a U-Haul trailer to get it from Maine to Wisconsin. No problems. Pulled it with my little Toyota 4x4 pickup.

Don't know what storage space you have, but my last couple trailers came from salvage yards, purchased old campers and tore them down to the frame and deck. Less expensive that Harbor Freight, and larger / heavier duty trailers to boot. Cost was $100.00 each. Had to get them titled as home-built, not hard to do here in Colorado but check with your DMV before you try this. I had to fill out a 1-page form, pay a title fee in addition to license fee, and that was it. I made sure lights were working and safety chains were good, but never had to have an inspection done. Was issued a VIN number to put on the trailer when I received the title.

Sold one, have the other for sale @$350.00 since I sold my Jeep Grand Cherokee tow vehicle and bought a Neuman all-aluminum 5x12 that is light enough to pull with my Subaru. Those old camper frames are heavy.

Cut down camper trailer. $100.00 for trailer, $30.00 or so for lights, around $60.00 for title and plates. Trailer came with a spare tire, tongue jack, and safety chains. It uses a 2 inch ball coupler and 13 inch car tires. 1 drawback: width between wheel wells is less than 48 inches. Not a problem hauling the bikes, but the snowmobile skies are just a bit to wide to fit between. If I keep this trailer I will put a splice in the axle and move the wheel wells apart by another 6 inches or so.

Yep, that is a surge brake unit on the trailer tongue. Does not work, but I could probably rebuild it if needed. Trailer deck is just under 12 feet long and is original to the trailer. Over-all width is about 6 feet.

I used this to haul my snowmobiles for a couple years, first my Arctic Cat, then my Yamaha, before getting the new aluminum trailer. For hauling a bike I would add a wheel chock and a couple D-rings to use as tie-down points.

In any event, I feel that by going this route I ended up with a better trailer than the Harbor Freight unit, both in terms of $$ (you would need to add a deck to the HF trailer) and in utility as this one will handle a longer and heavier load than the HF trailer. JAT.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I think the same goes for anything with the U-Haul name on it. When SWMBO moved from Utah to MO, we got a BRAND NEW Uhaul truck (less than 100 miles on the meter), and half way out of the Salt Lake valley, the AC died. We got a flat on the car trailer too, and we sat on the side of the highway in the middle of nowhere for about 4 hours, waiting for someone to come fix the tire. Needless to say, it was a long trip...
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Ryder??

Hi,
        Some ryder truck rentals do rent ryder trailers although I cant speak to whether they are generally better than uhaul. Most tool rental stores do have trailers to rent. Ive rented them a few times, and they just seemed too heavy duty to use for a motorcycle since they are commercial type trailers. Also a private rental outfit isnt gonna want the trailer taken one way at all unless its a chain unknown to me. I like the camper frame idea, will look into that shortly.
        Bikes Now.
        80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
        79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
        83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
        83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
        08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Originally posted by yamtom View Post
          Hi,
          Some ryder truck rentals do rent ryder trailers although I cant speak to whether they are generally better than uhaul. Most tool rental stores do have trailers to rent. Ive rented them a few times, and they just seemed too heavy duty to use for a motorcycle since they are commercial type trailers. Also a private rental outfit isnt gonna want the trailer taken one way at all unless its a chain unknown to me. I like the camper frame idea, will look into that shortly.
          That is what I thought to, that's why when I saw Uhaul had "motorcycle" trailers I was happy and figured it would be just right. Also FYI uhaul doesn't let you rent motorcycle trailers for one way trips, they have to be returned to the location of pick up. I like the camper frame Idea too, but I have no place to store one. Actually my dad is a welder and we've built some very nice "custom" trailers for ourselves over the years for snowmobiles and stuff, If I had my choice I'd do that but like I said, no storage.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

For a quick around town pull I don't think that the U-haulers are too bad but anything long enough to be one way or on a freeway I wouldn't do it.
            "Shop"
            Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Comment

U-Haul

-I like to rent those $14. bucks a day wagons from U-Haul to pick up non runner bikes,i took one of these a month ago to bring a Goldwing Aspencade from West Palm Beach to Miami and it performed very well pulled by my old Pontiac Trans Am.
              -What happens is that you gotta pick a trailer in good condition,not simply let then idiots assign you to anyone.
              -You can't beat $14. bucks a day...
              -1982 Maxim 1100 project
              -1980 Xs 1100 parts bike
              -1981 Seca 750-daily ride
              -1978 Suzuki Gs 1000 parts bike
              -1983 Pontiac Trans Am-daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                That is what I thought to, that's why when I saw Uhaul had "motorcycle" trailers I was happy and figured it would be just right. Also FYI uhaul doesn't let you rent motorcycle trailers for one way trips, they have to be returned to the location of pick up. I like the camper frame Idea too, but I have no place to store one. Actually my dad is a welder and we've built some very nice "custom" trailers for ourselves over the years for snowmobiles and stuff, If I had my choice I'd do that but like I said, no storage.
                Well I have to disagree with a couple of things...first off what size of uhaul trailer was it? I have rented a 5'x9' ramp trailer 3 times since this past Dec. In each case the equipment was in top notch condition...no bald tires etc....The 2nd thing I take issue with is that "uhaul doesnt let you rent motorcycle trailers for one way trips" Again this is in-accurate as i have rented trailers for one way trips countless times... I have been quite pleased at uhaul for their consistent quality and service...and I will not hesitate to use them again in the future.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I have rented U-Haul Motorcycle trailer a few times, one to pick up Banshee which was a two hour ride one direction all interstate. For $15 a day, it is the best deal I know of. As to condition of tires and wiring, it depends on the dealer your going to. Around here I have several choices in a ten mile radius. Never had an issue. You can also rent their enclosed trailer, just do not tell them what your using it for. I got Thunderstruck home in one.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

aaaahhhhhh renting trailers.........i have not rented a trailer in 20 years ..... sounds like they are renting the same trailer i use to rent
                    careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

what i have is an old boat trailer that i got for hauling off the pos al fishing boat and then i decked it
                      i will be building a newer bigger trailer after i get rid of another boat this one will be 20 ft long and has larger tires and i wil recess tie downs into the wooden deck

Comment

Working...
                      X