Product Evaluation: "Vista" universal cruise control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Evaluation: "Vista" universal cruise control

Recently I purchased this vista throttle lock from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...Q5fAccessories

I chose this one because most of the others were single piece flimsy looking things. The seller had good communication(though I did have to request a tracking number) and the shipping time took a while, but considering it was coming from Calgary(to NY) it wasn't so bad.

Installation wasn't too bad, though there are almost not pictures to go with the instructions. You have a good deal of text on the back of the package, and one drawn picture of the assembled product. I had hell trying to install them over older Yami foam grips, so I tossed on a thinner grip for the prelim install.

It's a pretty straight-forward installation, though the rubber grommets took some trial and error.

Once I got the hang of it it went on pretty easily, and only too a little bit of tweaking to get it to function correctly. It functions as it should, looks decent, and is sturdy.

Two minor gripes:

-The first is that it takes up about a half an inch of your grip. Leaves me just enough, but it might get to be a problem. I might actually get myself a longer grip-tube and grips to take care of the issue. The other option would be the standard tube with a hard-body grip. Then attach the throttle lock assembly to the tube and slide the grip up to that. The latter would obviously not work with soft grips.

-The second is that the new position of where you hold the grip, vs having the master cylinder shifted closer to center, changes where/how you're able to grip the front brake lever. I would make double-sure about your adjustments and whatnot to make sure that you can even reach the lever.
    As it was I adjusted everything a touch, and I can, but I'm glad I didn't take it out, go to reach for the lever, and grab nothing but air.

I have it adjusted so that if I'm shaking out my hand and need to grab the brake, I can get to the lever and release the throttle-lock in one motion. I should be posting up pictures in the next couple of days. It's not the final position, as I'm going to need to disassemble to grease the slide, and I might change it once on road, but should give some idea.

Spider
    Last edited by Spider; 01-22-2010, 08:17 PM.
    1978 XS1100
    "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

The one specific to Yamaha is much more tidy and only takes up about 3/16" between the grip and the controls. No bar across the front of the controls either.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I don't mind the bar across the controls. I wanted something massively sturdy, which it is. Just a bit of a PITA when it comes to eating grip space. Have you a link to the one from Yamaha?
      1978 XS1100
      "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
        The one specific to Yamaha is much more tidy and only takes up about 3/16" between the grip and the controls. No bar across the front of the controls either.
        I just got the Yamaha-specific model yesterday, and got it adjusted correctly today. MUCH cleaner than the universal version! I had to trim my grip down a bit, and I had to hit the detent surfaces of the throttle lock with some sandpaper to keep it from un-locking by itself, but now it works great! I did a test run today at lunch, and I can feel the benefits already! I'm so glad I bought this thing before my 700-mile trip to the MOTM rally next month!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I got one from. Cycle gear but I think that the brand was NEP and It was like 10 bucks cheaper
          91 kwaka kz1000p
          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Garth how was the one you bought did/do you like it? and how was the instalation? I have a throttle rocker which I like but had a throttle clamp years ago on an old bike but don't remember the name of it just that it would alow your throttle to creep and you would slow down. Anyway am kind of looking for 1.
            Barry Kustes. Call me BEAR
            1980 XS1100G
            Luggage rack
            Sissy bar
            Open header
            Work in progress
            Daily rider

Comment

Working...
            X