Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires on the XS 11

I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, but here goes:

I had a Dunlop Touring Elite II on the front of my '80 XS11SG, and it slid in turns, and on water. If you let go of the handle bars, the front began a wobble that would scare anyone on two wheels.

So, I decided to replace the tire, and had good luck in the past with Metzler.

I bought a Metzler ME33 Laser and mounted it on the front. After about 100 miles, and some wet riding, I can attest to the outstanding performance of this tire in our bikes.

I suggest if you are looking to replace your tires, you give Metzler a look. They recommend using the ME55A Metronic for the rear as a match to the ME33 Laser.

I will be purchasing that tire when my Cheng wears down.

E-mail if you have any questions, I will be happy to share.

greg
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

tires

I was using Metzler 33 on the front and 55 on the back, super sticky great for the twistys. But the summer heat and the xsive speed I was travelling was melting the back tires at a rate of 2 per summer. They were over 220 canadian. Dunlops are fine with me now lasting me a couple of summers 20 to 30 thousand KM. I Have ridden my bike for over 100,000 Km (60,000 miles) and Metz were the best traction on wet and dry pavement.

1980 XS1100 Special
    119,000 km and climbing
    Marc Walker
    Brantford, Ontario

Comment

Wobble is often the product of an out-of-round or improperly balanced tire. Easy check for balance...get the front wheel off the ground, mark a point on the tire's low point, spin the tire slowly and let it come to a stop several times. If the mark consistently comes to rest at about the same spot, suspect balance.

Out-of-round is a little harder to check. Ideal to check with a dial indicator on a stand, but sometimes you can just eyeball the tire as it spins. Like balance, jack up front end and slowly spin tire. I tape a light wire to the fender so it *just* touchs the tread, then spin the tire and use the wire as a reference. If it touches in some places but not others, tire is out of round.

Tire pressure is also very important; use the manufacturer's recommendations. Dunlop has the numbers on their web page.

The Dunlop K491 Elite II is an excellent tire front or back, surprised to hear you had a problem. I suspect a poor balance job, corrected when the Metzler was installed.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Tires

I resently replaced the front tire on my '79 XS11 with an oversided Cheng Shin tire. I had a almost bald tire(i know bad idea, but ought it that way) and have had great luck with the tire. These tires are inexpensive and people in my area seem to like them on all makes of bikes from Honda's to HD's. Normal size for my year is 100x90/19 and I went to a 110x90/19 and MAN what a difference. Nice smooth ride compared to a used Bridgestone SP11 I put on till my new one came in.

Well,Good luck man. Here's the web site I got those tires from. http://www.imotorcyclestore.com/html...ex_street.html

See on the road,
        Cuda

Comment

I recently replaced my front with a Dunlop elite 2, handling changed dramatically! But after a couple weeks...(not miles) it acted the same as the "stone" that was there...2 days of sitting revealed the culprit...fork seal gone... ....something to think about.........?
          '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

Comment

tires

I bought a new Gold wing in 75. Tires were a problem in cross country touring so I had a 15 inch rim laced on the rear and installed a steel belted radial meant for a sports car. I can hear the shouting already like it won't hold the road and it won't have traction. Well, it worked fine. I commuted through the Santa Cruz mountains to my job in Palo Alto for years, until the bike was stolen, and no problems. These were some of the worst roads you'll find anywhere and there was no noticable sliding on t he curves. I even commuted in the winter we had 86 inches of rain.

Comment

Working...
            X