Rain X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain X

Has anyone used this product on faceshields or windshields?

It's great on my car windshield and would like to try it on my faceshield but concerned if it would react with the plastic,acrylic, Lexan or whatever material the fairing winshields and face shields are made of.
    XJ1100 Ruby Red
    XS1100LH "Midnight"
    1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Yes and it works great. A long snowmobile trip in warm, rain, sleet, weather to prove it too. Over 120 miles.
    So far no problems.
    Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

May be a problem on some coated shields. Shoei says to not use it on their High-Def (amber) shields or damage could result. From the Shoei site:

2. Plastic Parts incl. Shield
      Plastic parts should not be cleaned with agents containing solvents (including any petrochemicals) as these are absorbed by the plastic material, cause its slow deterioration and thus increase the risk of breaking. Acid or alkali-based corrosive cleaning agents as well as window cleaner are equally unsuitable. The shield should only be cleaned with water and a neutral cleaning agent. Heavily soiled areas can be gently cleaned using a soft toothbrush or a cotton swab.

The Rain-x site does not say what is in the product, so you may want to check the label. On the other hand, I've use anti-fog treatments on my clear snowmobile shields for many years without apparent problems.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

READ THE BOTTLE! I didn't, and it ruined my windshield on my Venture. RainX is not intended for use on plastic windshields. On mine it ate the outer layer of whatever, yellowed the plastic, and made it impossible to see through. I ended up buying a new windshield.

RainX works on glass and such, not plastic....I hope this wasn't too late....
        BobE
        Richmond, RI
        1980 XS1100G - "The Old Coot"

PREVIOUS RIDES
        2005 Venture, 1993 Venture, 1983 Venture
        1978 Gold Wing, 1983 Gold Wing
        1975 CB500T, 1983 Husqvarna 250WR
        1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5
        1981 CB900F, 1965 C200 (Honda 90)
        1968 Powell Challenger (Hairy-Chested Mini-bike)

Comment

Thanks for all the replys.
          No not to late. Always nice to be able to tap the vast knowledge and experience of fellow XS'rs
          Am just using Plexus for cleaning and protection. Never get caught in the rain do I.........NOT!!
          XJ1100 Ruby Red
          XS1100LH "Midnight"
          1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

How well does the plexus work?
            http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Plexus works very well. Have been using it on my helmet shield for a couple of years. Bugs come off pretty easy and no scratches.
              Have now used it on my windshield and same results.
              XJ1100 Ruby Red
              XS1100LH "Midnight"
              1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Just a thought, never tried it, maybe you could use Armor All on the windshield? It can be used on plastics and it seems to make water shed off during the rain.
                http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Working...
                X