Duplicolor Engine Clear Coat Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicolor Engine Clear Coat Paint

I wrote the following letter to Duplicolor Paints yesterday, and they wrote me back today:

"I have an old bike that the aluminum has become severely oxidized on. Originally from the factory it had a laquer coat over these parts, but over the years it's yellowed or been wore off. I have sanded the parts down to good aluminum again and got them polished with a final 3000gr wet-sand.

A simple wax on the parts that don't get hot let's them last a month or two before having to polish again, but I am tired of that. Do you recommend your clear-coat paint for these applications on bare aluminum, or can you suggest something else clear to help keep the restored finish looking good? It looks close to chrome when done, but I want it to last longer. It will obviously be in the rain and sun.

Just to throw another curve to you, anything that could be applied to the same bare aluminum that gets very hot such as engine cooling fins would be a tremendous added plus! Mine are all polished up, but they take a lot of work to keep that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

And here was their reply:

"Hi Tod,

Thank you for your inquiry. For this application I would suggest using our Engine Enamel, Clear # DE1636 for all of these applications. The product can withstand temperatures up to 500F and is an enamel based clear so it will not amber like a lacquer will. It will be necessary to apply this to clean metal, so be sure to completely remove all of the wax you have used.

You can read more about this product at this link to our website:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

If you have any additional questions, please ask.

Thank you,
    Jared

If you click on the link, the things that sell me on it are,

*Oil and gas resistant
    *Will not blister, flake, crack or peel

Has anybody else tried it?

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Yep.

Swear by the stuff. Besides the engine, it's the clear coat I used on my tank & side covers. Let it cure fully before abusing it and it will resist gas, heat and whatever the hell else you throw at it.

Those that have seen my paint job can't believe it came from a spray can!

Comment

Originally posted by randy
      Yep.

Swear by the stuff. Besides the engine, it's the clear coat I used on my tank & side covers. Let it cure fully before abusing it and it will resist gas, heat and whatever the hell else you throw at it.

Those that have seen my paint job can't believe it came from a spray can!
      Hey Randy .. are you applying the paint to freshly polished parts like engine covers?
      Thanks
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Rob,

Yes, it works fine on aluminum engine parts.

Comment

I have seen Randy's bike in person= it don't look like no spray bomb paint job!

Comment

freshly polished is the key word in Rob's question to me...Any surface prep involved to highly polished (slick) like engine covers?
            1978 1100E Standard
            2 1985 700 Maxim's (black & red)
            1986 600 Radian (basket case)
            1979? GS1000 (no title)
            1980 1100SG Special

Comment

Prep for duplicolor

I have not used Dulicolor on polished aluminum But I have painted other polished parts. You need to remove ALL of the polishing medium for the paint/clearcoat to adhear properly. Most polishing stuff has a wax base and the best way is to use caburator cleaner or acetone and toilet paper.Clean it several times to make sure you get all the wax off. Don't use paper towles, they are too rough and will leave tiny scratches that will dull the aluminum.
              For those who faught for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never taste.
              Unknown deffender of Khe Sahn

Comment

Working...
              X