Rain Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain Gear

The rainy season is lurking around the corner up here in the Pacific NW. Any suggestions for best bang for buck rain gear??
    If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

I like my Taurus Wagon...
    Ken Talbot

Comment

plastic trash bags and duct tape.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Mother Goose just bought herself Froggs Toggs but hasn't used them yet. They are very light weight and roll up pretty small. The material is breathable so I am hoping that it will be better than my old dryriders (vinyl). The only thing I read that might be a downside is keep them away from your pipes.
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Pat, how did you find out my secret?!

Saddle Up, I will say not to bother with the cheap hunters ones you can find at Walmart and such. They aren't designed for hurricane winds and will shred rather quickly at just 55mph!

If you wear a full face helmet, then you'll just need one that is secure around the neck to allow the rain to run off the helmet over the jacket, otherwise you might want to find one with a hood! I think I remember using one with a hood and put it on inside the helmet!

BTW, I followed the directions in the STICKY thread at the top of this forum to reveal the older threads, and viola, there was one about Rain Suits by Denny Z, also a PNW'er! I bumped it for ease of viewing!

Happy Shopping! T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I've heard good things about Frogg Toggs, check this out

This suit looks interesting and inexpensive.

http://store.froggtoggs.com/browse.cfm/4,453.htm
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Re: I've heard good things about Frogg Toggs, check this out

Originally posted by Cobia
              This suit looks interesting and inexpensive.

http://store.froggtoggs.com/browse.cfm/4,453.htm
              I believe thats the one she got.
              http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

After about the third post I got on ebay and bought some rain gear named Himilaya, I'll keep you all posted on the performance as I intend on riding this rainy season...Now for rain boots/ booties? Or is it just better to wear rubber construction boots and change over when you arrive? The rain boots I've seen look pretty cheesy..
                Easy Bro's
                If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

Comment

Re: Boots

I bought the Tour Master Reponse SC Road Boots and I love them.
                  Here's the link to the review on WebBikeWorld:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ster-response/[/URL]

Got an awesome deal on a pair in my size from a freight handler on ebay. $29.00 down from $129.00!!! Only had one pair and in my size, brand new, tags still attached, in a very slightly distressed box. Who wears the box anyway? LOL.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I have a pretty large foot, so I can't wear just any boot and still work the pedals.

But there are lots of Gore-Tex (or similar) lined choices out there that really work.

If you have a pair of leather boots you love, mink oil will do the trick.

Two applications before you use them and one after use (and when they're dry).

eBay is great - I got a new pair of $275 German touring boots for $65. And I'd also recommend:

www.sierratradingpost.com
                    1982 XJ1100J Maxim
                    2000 BMW R1200C

“We go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I bought some over boots to use when it rains HARD. They have snaps and velcro on the sides, a strap to go under your heel, and a small bit that goes under the toe. They work great, have kept my feet dry, even when wearing tennis shoes!
                      I don't remember the brand for sure, but I think it's Tour Master. I picked them up at Road Rider, but I'm sure you can find something like them other places.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Bro's for the responses.

Comment

Wet Weather boots

I ride with Cruiserworks waterproof leather boots year round. These boots are "stand in a stream" water proof. A little pricey, but I, too, have a large foot (14 EW) and they fit well, plus are fairly comfortable for walking.

Ralph

Comment

Rainsuit Comparison

Hi,
                            I know that I'm new here but I'm not new to riding.
                            Here is a rain-suit comparison

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/acc...son/index.html

I have used the Nelson Rigs for the last 6 years.
                            It is durable, effective and it breaths very well so I don't get over heated like with the Frogs.

I used a similar article to make my decision and have not regretted it to this day.

Be alert! (we need more lerts)

Van
                            03 Honda GL1800 Goldwing; 08 Honda 250 Rebel; 1979 Yamaha XS1100SF.

Comment

Tour Master gear is working good for me. I rode from Vancover B.C. to Olympia in driving rain. Made it home dry. I have the Tour Master jacket and paints combo, and the Tour Master boot covers. I made up a set of grip guards that keep my hands warm and dry.
                              DZ
                              Vyger, 'F'
                              "The Special", 'SF'
                              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                              X