HJC CX-14 helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HJC CX-14 helmet

Since my 12 year old Shoei was showing its age, Santa gave a gift certificate to the local Yammy dealer for a new helmet. My requirements were Snell approval, venting, weight and a decent fit. The dealer selection was not top notch as I expected to score another Shoei or a Bell but he carried neither. I zeroed in on his line of HJC's. Gave some thought to one of the new full face with the front section that flips up but did not like the feel of the helmet and am still skeptical of that front section staying down in a crash. I picked out a HJC, CX14 in silver. It was night and day in comfort from my Shoei. The large fit me well with no pressure points. I liked the extra distance it seemed to have at the chin bar, didn't feel like my head was crammed in. This helmet was VERY quiet at highway speeds with the shield down and not much noiser with the shield up. It has chin and top vents but I can't comment on there effectiveness, yet. I did stick my head above the fairing windshield and could feel some cool air running thru. This summer will be the true test. A negative is the face shield does not raise up far enough for me. Kinda like having your hat pulled down a little too far. I figure I can get used to that. The other rachet positions are well placed and it was not hard to operate with a summer gloved hand. The lining is removable for cleaning after too many "sweat head" runs. The D-ring strap setup is much easier to use than my Shoei. There is a offset to them so when you want to loosen it, you just push back against the rings and it loosens right up. Since this was "last years" model (CX14 replaced by CX15), he gave me an addition 10% off the sticked price of $139.00. I also bought the smoked shield for $24.95. Both clear and smoked shields are supposed to be UV reflective. Sheilds can be changed without tools.

I am not a fan of "cheap" helmets because it is my last line of defence in a crash. I remember when I bought my Shoei RF105, it was over $200. But, at $139, I would not call the HJC "cheap", but great value for the buck. Its comfortable, lightweight and so far meets all my needs. I hope I never have to test its DOT/Snell endorsements.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

I don't think I've seen any of those "flip-up" helmets that were Snell certified. Were any that you saw? I don't think they certify three-quarter helmets which are what those basically are with the face flipped up.
    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I have an older HJC that I use for snowmobiling. Different head shape, I guess, as my Shoei is more comfortable. However the HJC had a heated visor option, useful for cold-weather operation.

One of the parts places mentioned on this site is Zanotti Motors, they sell helmets as well as parts at a discount via the web and I paid a reasonable price for the HJC and visor. If anyone is looking, know what you want and size, you might get a quote from them.

URL: http://www.zanottimotor.com/

No affiliation, but have used them for parts and pieces (motorcycle and snowmobile) since 1999 and have never been disappointed. Prices are good but not rock-bottom. Their customer service, in my experience, has always been above average.

A few places sell the D-ring connectors to adapt the standard strap to the quick-connect style, they also come up on eBay. Nice option to have.

I run the Shoei amber (aka high definition) shield in summertime use, reduces eye strain and improves clarity by filtering out some of the bluish light content. The HJC shield is grey overall, helps in many lighting and does decrease over-all contrast of any scene. The downside is that, for me, it blocks to much light and isn't good for early morning or late afternoon / evening riding. Since I commute about an hour each way, (leave about 7:00 AM, get home around 6:00 PM) the grey shield isn't suitable for spring or fall commuting. Works great for snowmobiling, though, with all that sunlight reflecting off snow....
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Snell will not certify flip ups. Yet.

Writeup here on helmet testing:
        http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

Snell has one set of criteria, DOT another. After reading this I think if DOT approved it is good enough, DOT with Snell is a bonus.

I just scored a Shoei X-11 for $226 shipped. I think that is a steal.

However my Vega did well in the test, and HJC does well. I like the HJC selection and almost bought one when I found the Shoei.

Search the internet there are great prices on good helmets, if you know your size.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Great article. I loved this bit:

The Wayne State Tolerance Curve is the result of a pretty gruesome series of experiments back in the '50s and '60s in which dogs' brains were blasted with bursts of compressed air, monkeys were bashed on the skull, and the heads of dead people were dropped to see just how hard they could be hit before big-time injury set in. This study's results were backed up by the JARI Human Head Impact Tolerance Curve, published in '80 by a Japanese group who did further unspeakable things to monkeys, among other medically necessary atrocities.
          These monkeys died for your brains.
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

....and I'm dying for some monkey brains a la Temple of Doom
            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA
              Snell has one set of criteria, DOT another. After reading this I think if DOT approved it is good enough, DOT with Snell is a bonus.
              Though since DOT is a standard that manufactuers voluntarily adhere to, I think I would better trust the specifications of a third party testing organization. At least you know that if it passes Snell rating and has a DOT sticker as well, then it passes that too.
              1981 XS1100SH

Comment

independent testing

Here's another website that has very detailed reviews of helmets.(read: ~40 pages per review) Though I didn't see the HJC CX-14 in there, this site could help someone choose one over another.

Helmet Reviews
                -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

I just got the CL-15 for a great price. I've only worn it while going under 55, but there is very little wind noise, good vented air, and great visibility. Great bang for the buck, and it looks pretty good too.
                  78 xs1100E standard

Comment

Working...
                  X