Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUZUKI VX800 air filters

Help! ...... ? ......where at , in the universe, can I
    maybe, find, aftermarket air filters , for a 1990 VX800 Suzuki ?
    ?? ......anybody know of a link?
    This is my brother's motorcycle, that he has had since it was new.
    I've got to show him how much I know; by showing him how nifty this site forum is.
    JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
    7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Re: SUZUKI VX800 air filters

Originally posted by oldnortonrider
    Help! ...... ? ......where at , in the universe, can I
    maybe, find, aftermarket air filters , for a 1990 VX800 Suzuki ?
    ?? ......anybody know of a link?
    This is my brother's motorcycle, that he has had since it was new.
    I've got to show him how much I know; by showing him how nifty this site forum is.
    Well, I'm not much on the later years and models of any bikes, I checked JCWHipme, in their "CRUISERS" section, they list air filters, FRONT AND REAR?, for Suzuki '86-02 VS800 Intruder, not a "VX"??? Other than that, I can't help you!! Good Luck!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

This has 92-94
      http://www.instantop.com/cyclepages/filters.htm

I found this here:
      http://www.vx800.net/
      On the left, click on FAQ | Engine | Air Filters

to wit:

5.3 Air filters
      The stock air filters from suzuki are pretty expensive, and unfortunately the big aftermarket places don't make direct replacements. Apparently there's a Japanese company called Meiwa that makes replacement air (and oil) filters that seem to be more available in Europe than in the U.S. One poster said to try the "Polo" catalog. Where those aren't available, here are a couple of different tricks:

The best solution seems to be to use a stock K&N part, which is apparently a cotton gauze filter that don't require the saturate-and-squeeze oiling method of foam filters, just a light film of oil. The idea is to dismantle a stock filter by removing the wire mesh (like window screening) that encloses the paper -- some people use cutters, others apply heat to soften the glue. You're left with a base to attach the new filter to. The K&N part number is RU-0160. It has a 1-1/2 inch flange, 3 inch diameter, 4 inches long). The price seems to be under $30.00 (US) for each filter. After the flange cools, the RU-0160 slides right on, and a hose-type clamp is provided to secure it. In some areas the K&N part comes pre-oiled (you can tell, because it has the red color of their filter oil, and says "pre-oiled" on the wrapper). Properly oiled, it has a 50-100,000 mile service interval for street-driven applications.

An even more promising piece of K&N news, from Raffaele Belardi:

"... I confirm that last friday I bought, in Italy, a K&N filter which is a direct replacement for the stock one on the VX (and the VZ800 Marauder). They came in the K&N box, with the K&N colors, the K&N stickers and the K&N instructions. And the K&N part number SU0009. The box also says 'Made in the United Kingdom'(!)."
      Someone else reported that they couldn't locate that filter in the US, but this is still encouraging news. It implies that the air filter for the VZ800 Marauder is the same as that for the VX800, and being a current model worldwide, the Marauder may lead to more availability for this filter. [ Can anyone confirm this? - TRB ]
      Rick Blunden reports good results with a set of UNI filters:

"The UNI UP4152 'Flex Core Pod' oiled foam air filter retails for $10-12 each and is a good replacement for the stock paper filter. Depending on what you read and what your superstitions are, the UNI traps smaller particles than the oiled gauze (K&N) or paper elements, but does not allow as much air to pass through as the K&N. Like the K&N, the UNIs should be cleaned in solvent and reoiled every 10,000 - 20,000 miles. They probably won't last more than 1 million miles :-). Rejetting is not necessary, and intake noise level seems the same as stock."
      You can also use UNI filters designed for the GS500E and Madura 700. They replace the stock filters entirely (rather than reusing the metal base), but they don't really fit properly -- you need to shim them out from the air boxes with washers, since their flanges dont' fit over the airbox lip, and you need to glue or screw the rubber snorkels to the rubber tube on the filters, since the pipe clamp won't hold them anymore. All in all, having tried both, I'd use the K&N units. (The UNI part number, if you want it, is NU-2453, available from Dennis Kirk as 30-3026.)

Hope this helps.
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

By the way, nice looking bike. Sorta early nekkid...
        Marty in NW PA
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

And, just because I am sitting here visiting with some of my kids, who chose to visit, and thusly prevents me from RIDING, her is one for you that comes from teh land of Oz:

http://www.froggy.com.au/vx800_in_oz/mods.html

Oh the heck with it, it is getting dark and I am gone!
          Marty in NW PA
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

MartyA ;
            ......the information, re: "RU-0160" (K&N) ; was exactly what we needed.
            Found the item/number and picture in Chapparal catalog.
            $26.99 each.
            I have had much experience with K&N's ; you ain't gonna beat 'em.
            We are deeply indebted for your conscientious efforts.
            JCarltonRiggs

Comment

quite welcome.

I have 4 K&N's on mine. The only problem I have is putting too much oil on them. Then that strangles the motor, so I clean them and do it again. Must be a talent I lack. Oh well....
              Marty in NW PA
              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA
                quite welcome.

I have 4 K&N's on mine. The only problem I have is putting too much oil on them. Then that strangles the motor, so I clean them and do it again. Must be a talent I lack. Oh well....
                PERZACTEMLY!! (Tip for the day!) "....that strangles the motor..."
                Never oil 'em. Spray 'em lightly with WD-40 .
                That's even worse with the UNI's , about clogging up with age and oiling them. The foam rubber type is worthless . They ought to pay you to use 'em.
                Nothing will go thru the K&N's; I don't think they even need the
                WD-40.
                JCarltonRiggs

Comment

I have had no problems with air flow with a properly oiled Uni filter. The problems seems to be a lot of people think generic foam filter oil will work with a UNI, I won't. (to thick and heavy) UNI makes it's own oil, like K&N, that is light and sticky and comes in a spray can. K&N oil is even lighter and not sticky but must be used for proper filtration. If you buy the right oil for the job at hand then I think you will see better results.

Of course it could be WD40 , I never tried that.
                  Gary Granger
                  Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                  2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I have had more opinions about the K&N and other "hi-flow" filters. Someone says the dirtier they get, the better they work. Someone looked at them and criticized me for having dirty filters.

Here is some fun quotes from the K&N site:
                    "Spray K&N air filter cleaner liberally onto the entire element and let soak for 10 minutes."

NEVER USE Automatic Transmission Fluid,
                    NEVER USE Motor Oil,
                    NEVER USE Diesel Fuel
                    NEVER USE WD-40, LPS, or other light weight oils.

Service every 50,000 -100,000 miles on street driven applications.

Let the dirt "build-up" work for you; it will not hurt the performance and actually help filter the air.

"Spray K&N air filter oil down into each pleat with one pass per pleat. Wait 20 minutes and re-oil any white spots still showing."

The first time I did the spray thing I ended up doing it 3 times. First time 4000 rpm was max, the second time I cleaned and re-oiled and could only get ~5000 rpm, then the third time I sorta held the spray can near the filters and whispered "oil." No problems then.

They do look a little dry right now, but I am resisting the urge. I only have 17,000 miles since the cleaning and oiling, only 33,000 miles to go......

Marty in NW PA
                    This IS my happy face.

Comment

I think the foam filters work well. Dirt bikers use foam filters, and they see a lot of dirt.

WD-40 works well as a solvent to clean the foam filters that have been properly oiled, did their job and got full of dirt. Follow with soap and water, let dry, re-oil. WD-40 on a paper towel for cleanups.
                      David Browne
                      XS11SG Crunchbird
                      XS500E

Comment

Working...
                      X