Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion on a honda?

hey,

what are your opinions of the Honda ST1100s? Say around 2000 models?

Over here in Aus they use them as the cop bikes...I'm thinking of doing a long ride around the country at the end of this year and was wondering what you all thought about these bikes? My thinking was if the cops use them, they must be pretty reliable and tough? Who here has had one or has an opinion?

Winkel.
    Winkel
    '81 XS1100RH (Australian)

I don't know about that bike. But, I do know that just because the cops use them, Doesn't mean they're good. Depends on the department, they're expense account, etc.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

The ST 1100's are rock solid (most Honda's are). They get good mileage, and just run and run and run. Amazing range too.

The only drawback I've noted to either the ST1100 or the ST1300 is that you either "fit" or you don't. There's not a lot of options as far as highway pegs and moving your seating position around a bit.

If you fit, they are comfortable.

CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I dont know much about those bikes, I do know that Honda's are VERY solid bikes. I had a Honda 400 before my XS and loved it, just that it was way to small for me. I put well over 25K on it and never once ran into a problem.
        Bauer
        1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
        Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
        1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
        Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

Solid bike, good handling, made for European drivers and roads.

I sat on one and the FJR and while I would not turn one down I prefer the FJR.

Brief old comaparo here
          http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/ltourers.html
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Honda ST

Well, I own a Honda ST 1100. They are a bike that does everything well. Put bar risers and a Corbin tour seat on it. I have riden it long distances, (1000+ miles at a time) and they are great! Quiet, and mine is runnin from 47mpg two-up to 53mpg single on a long trip, and that's at a constant 80-85mph. The 11's are makin 100+hp, which is plenty to pass. At sea level they will run 0-100 in 11sec. They are a super bike for the money. I have ridden the FJR1300, and they are awesome! At 145hp, they rip! At sea level they are a 0-100mph in 7.4sec. bike. The one I rode, just pokin along in third, twist the throttle, no 'clutching' and when it hit the torque band the front wheel pulled off the ground for quite a distance! That also was at 5,000 ft elev. where I live. The position you ride on the FJR puts more weight on bars resulting in my hands felling a bit numd after awhile. Really like the FJR, but don't need that kinda power as there makin' 145horses! I'd most likely end up in jail or dead. They'll top out at 165mph. The ran the one I rode quickly up to 140, and it will do it very quick, pullin on ya pretty good. A bit to sport oriented, seating position, short windshield, although adjustable while riding, just hit the switch, activates electric motor. With the hard cases you can pack a few things and run twisty's hard. The Honda ST is enough for me as it will grind the pegs and your soles with two-up in the twistys easily with no twitches, and I don't have a fork brace on it either. I also have the large GIVI trunk on rear. Like I said, bang for the buck, and trouble free for well over couple hundred thousand miles, the ST 1100's are still the bike that does it all well, and it still has the largest fuel capacity at 7.6 gal., which is still more than the new 1800 wing holds, which is also a great bike, as they handle the twistys like a sport bike now, but you pay for all the bells and whistles at 20 grand. The new ST1300 is nice but it has turned more sport than touring with seating position, short windshield, etc. and only makin 16 more horses than the ST1100. You can find nice used ST1100 for $4,000 or less, 91-93's, and don't let 50+ thousand on one scare ya if it's in good condition, cause most owners that ride alot will put alot of long distance miles on these cause of there confort and fairly nuetral riding position. As you can tell, I like my ST alot but my 81 XS Venturer 1100 has more charm, and it 'does something' so to speak while riding even long distances, plus I bought it new in 81 as my first tour bike. Guess that's favortism. I still ride 'em both like they were designed to be ridden accoringly, even at age 53 as I still race competevely moto-X and super-X so I'll still push a bike to its limits occasionally. Either one of those bikes are good choices. All-around I just favor the ST for the most fun and long- haul as far as a newer bike is concerned. Had to say that quietly, wouldn't want the Bentley to drop a tear from its headlamp...lol.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

honda makes a good bike and has good power but on there new bikes there are over priced compaired to the other makes of bikes out there
              79 yamaha xs1100f standard
              best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Your correct Bandet, the Kaw. sport tourer is half the money new for new. It's missin the same quality and ones who I've talked to who own them say they wished the seating position was somewhat better and didn't have the "buz" at srusin speeds, that's a felt buz from what I'm told. For 3-5 grand for a nice used 91-94 Honda ST is way more bang for the buck than even a new Kawasaki in the same class. Personal choice and how thick your wallet is all enters into equation.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                X