Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit review

Fellow Bandit wannabees:

I just finished reading an interesting article by an avid Bandit rider. He discusses what a B12 is, and what it can be, as well as its strengths and weaknesses. Well worth a look...

Long term review: Bandit 1200
    Last edited by Bill; 08-24-2002, 05:49 PM.
    Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

OK I read the article and need to reply about a couple of 'bad' points. First off the clutch is bad? Once you get to 150 HP or higher they do recommend Barnett springs, but the stock clutch has been fantastically reliable to me. I pull wheelies all the time and am constantly running to redline; there is no clutch slip or any problems with the clutch. Maybe this guy should learn how to shift?

The author says that brakes are a bit woody? Holy crap I can do stoppies on demand! The brakes are nothing short of excellent. I am sure that pure sport bikes have better brakes but not by much. The 2001 and up bikes have 6 pot brakes and are even better than mine!!

The suspension does suck on 97-00 models, I upgraded mine and you should too.

The fit and finish of the bike is excellent, paint is amazing for an economy priced bike.

Bottom line, all the good stuff is true and all the bad stuff is BS! We agree on one thing though the Bandit was made for this, and I do it on a regular basis!!

Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

This is absolutely the first I have heard of a clutch complaint. And the author's recommendation to use semi-synth to help this?? He's been thru 3 clutches? Probly the semi-synth

I complained about the suspension too, esp. on bumpy roads, but it's easily cured.

No weave, the bars are fine, the brakes are great.

Funny, he didn't mention the number one complaint - the stock overrestriction of airflow and lean jetting giving a flat spot in the throttle at ~3.5-4krpm. Again, easily cured, too easily cured. Lots of extra hp waiting to be released.

This reviewer gets a 2 on a scale of 10 for credibility, IMO.
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hart
        This is absolutely the first I have heard of a clutch complaint. And the author's recommendation to use semi-synth to help this?? He's been thru 3 clutches? Probly the semi-synth
        Mike,

I use Semi-Synthetic in my Bandit (and XS) will no problems. I don't think we can blame the oil for this guys ability to burn up clutches!
        Gary Granger

Comment

Here is another quote from the article:

My only gripe is fuel consumption, as it is very high. Driven sensibly you can manage 33mpg, but this is not terrific if you are considering munching miles and go touring on the Bandit. It is a very hedonistic machine, it's hungry on fuel but is rewarding on thrills and big fat grins.

My Bandit got 40 mpg straight from the factory, and since I have tuned it (can, Uni filter, re-jetted, etc.) and increased the HP by 10-15%, I still get 40mpg! Around town, doing wheelies and stuff it drops to 36mpg. I am not sure what is wrong with this guys bike, but it seems to be in need of a serious tune up.
          Gary Granger

Comment

I missed that comment altogether - outrageous! He's from England right? Maybe someone else converted wrong? Nah

I got 46 mpg on one rainy cruise at The Deuce, lifetime avg for my bike is 39mpg. Previous best was 42, but I was just a tiny bit rich, dropped the needles .020" at the end of last year. I've managed to get 33, but that's like around town, never above 3rd gear, and twisting the throttle like crazy.

Gary, I think the guy needs more than his bike tuned!

Comment

His gallons are smaller if he is using Imperial gallons. 40 mpg here in the US should give 33 mpg Imperial. I think thats' right.

US gallon x .833 = Imp. gallon

YMMV
              Marty in NW PA
              Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
              Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Uh Marty it's the other way around, the Imperial gallon is larger, you get more miles per imp gal, not fewer.

US Gallon = 3.7854 Litres
                Imp Gallon = 4.55 Litres

An Imperial Gallon is 1.20094 US Gallons, 33mpg us = 39.6 mpg imp

US Gallon x .83453 = Imp. Gal., 33mpg imp= 27.5 mpg us

Comment

Err, umm, duhh I knew that. I knew that in high school. I really need another cup of coffee.

Sheepishly yours,
                  Marty in NW PA
                  Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                  Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                  This IS my happy face.

Comment

Oh, okay Suzuki Bill (got a rise out of us, eh?), I have a negative review of the Bandit for you -

The horn sucks!

So I went to the old-fashioned auto boneyard here called Pull-A-Part, $1 admission fee, prowled for horns, found a set of Fiamm's on an older Taurus, the horns and relay cost me $2.54!!!

I put an inline fuse at the batt to run power forward to the relay, and mounted the horns inside the fairing using double-sided tape from auto paint store - awesome stuff.

They are LOUD. Fiamm horn set w/ relay at bike store runs like $29 and up, fooey on that!

Ok, the fuse cost 1.99, and 7.99 for the tape (which will find many other uses eventually).

Comment

ok, thought of another negative or two...

The stock mirrors - can't see behind you, and that's what they're for! Napoleon bar-end mirrors are the answer.

The stock seat is not conducive to long stretches - my solution was Corbin, incredible improvement in riding position and comfort.

Comment

Mike Hart wrote:
                        Oh, okay Suzuki Bill (got a rise out of us, eh?)
                        Uhh, YEAH. That's the ticket! I thought maybe I'd found some reasons why I didn't need to buy a B12. Guess not. Oh, well. Nice to hear some definite opinions on the subject.

That reminds me... anyone read Smitty's latest ramble on the allxs11s list? Just like old times! That list has more life than I XSpected.

Last edited by Bill; 08-25-2002, 01:00 PM.
                        Bill K.
                        1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                        1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Working...
                        X