Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS750 Float Needles

QUESTION:
    Mikuni float needles vs K&L float needles: Should the needle compress all the way down? The K&L does, the Mikuni stops about 3/4 down.

After a nice Triple clean in the ultrasonic cleaner, got the carbs back together, synced, and it ran pretty good. After a few runs & tuning, put the bike on the side stand and it conked out. Looked down and saw fuel running out of the air box. Obviously the float needles are sticking.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Don't know the right answer to your question, but all of my bikes have K&L needles and I don't have any problems. I set the floats according the FSM (float weight pushing down on the spring).

Maybe it doesn't matter?

I know you have enough experience to find the problem. Maybe float is tight on the float pin....maybe to float bowl gasket is interfering with the float movement....maybe a piece of dirt got in there...etc.

-Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

It shouldn't matter as long as all the floats are equal height.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Brass floats? Could have a breech.

Comment

Also make sure the float seat is clean.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Brass float had a leak. Replaced the seats for shiggles.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I have had success with repairing leaky brass floats with an electronic solder station & liquid flux. All fuel must be drained and the brass must be cleaned. I use a Dremel with a brass wire brush. The solder will add a small amount of added weight so I add about 1mm more to the float height.

Comment

Working...
              X