Yamaha tripple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha tripple

A guy down the road has a Yamaha tripple (750?) for sale. Have not spoken to him yet, just stopped by and looked at the bike, it is parked along the road with a for sale sign on it. Don't really need another bike, but ....

Copndition looks a bit ratty. Rear turn lights gone, fork seals leaking, faded gauges, couple dents in the tank, mirror stems are there but glass is gone, tires worn. Inside of tank looks pretty clean. Have not heard it run. Seat is OK, seat cowling has a crack in it but is complete, paint faded.

Fron the rim design, looks like it is a late '70s or possible up to '80, has the same straight spoked wheels common on '78 - '80 XS 11s. Disk brakes front and rear. Aftermarket 3 into 1 pipes, couldn't find a name on them.

Any real problems with this bike? Any idea what would constitute a reasonable offer? I am thinking $200 - $300 range....

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Hello Jerry,
    My friend keeps his 79 xs750sf in my garage. It is a nice bike, i have rode it several times. The XS750's have the same 2nd gear problem as the XS1100's, and the brakes sludging up over time - plugging the "spooge holes". The only other problem he had was when the Mechanical timing advance (governor on the parts list), stuck. We cleaned and lubed it and now she revs over 4000RPM again. It looks like a 2/3 replica of my 81 special. Sounds nothing like my bike. it sounds meaner, but its not. The only thing is dislike about it is the vibrations inherit to the engine design.
    We found his on www.cycletrader.com for $700.00 21k miles and in fantastic shape. Needed 2 tires, battery, and had one dime size hole in the exhaust. if the one you are looking at is real rough i would have trouble giving anymore than $200.00. If it really is "ratty" then only give him $100.00, unless you can start and ride it.
    good luck
    send us pictures Before you start!
    Bill Woods
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

1979 YAMAHA XS 750
      YAMAHA/XS 750///PART BIKE/ PARTS OR WHOLE BIKE $100 MUST SELL (330) 784-2981 More Details
      Date Placed:
      18-JUL-02

Is this it?

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Wrong area code...would have to be 928 (Arizona). $100.00 sounds more reasonable....lots of work to get this one back in shape. Will try to call tomorrow and see what the owner says. Can always part it nect to the '77 CB550F that is also a 'project' bike....
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I would not recommend the '77, that's what I had and it was pretty slow. Also the front tire was small. The '78 fixed all that and turned out to be a really nice bike. I liked the sound of the triple. The '76 came with a three into one exhaust. It was silver, as I recall. My '77 was maroon, the '78 was red. Can't remember beyond that.

Comment

Hey there Jerry,
            I wish I still had the 850 triple I brought back from Japan back in '83. It was made for Japan market, didn't get stopped by US customs like it was supposed to when it got shipped with my household goods, so I couldn't get the clearance paperwork done since I already had it, so I could never title or tag it, gave it to my best friend in Texas, he eventually gave it to a friend who used it for off road-flat track racing or such!!

The thing I liked about it WAS the vibration, I felt like I was on a motorcycle, you know, that old BSA or Triumph feel. But it did balance out with the higher RPMS's and really was quit smooth at cruising speed, as best as I can remember. I drove it around in Japan for 1.5 years before I transferred back. My 1100 was "too" smooth when I first got it back to the states, felt like I was on a high powered sewing machine. Now it has a little bit more rumble, not sure if it's the big bore kit, or it just needs a good carb synching!!?? Good luck!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X