Kawasaki valve shims needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki valve shims needed

Anyone got any valve shims for a '84 KZ550Ltd that they want to part with? Sell, swap, donate, etc? I'm told these are 13mm in diameter. Not sure what thickness's I need yet, hoping to get into that this week I've got at least one that is out of adjustment as it starts making noise when it gets hot. Dealer has to order, take a week or 2, or 3... to get here.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

A friend has an extra engine for GPz 550... the engine is the same as KZ550... I think...
    I can ask him, but I don't think u're gonna get them any faster... I'm in EU and stuff press...

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Most bike shops that work on all brands have a kit with the different sizes in it. My Kawasaki's all had tiny 'shim under bucket' adjustment shims, they looked like little watch batterys. This means the cams must be pulled to make the adjustment.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
        Most bike shops that work on all brands have a kit with the different sizes in it. My Kawasaki's all had tiny 'shim under bucket' adjustment shims, they looked like little watch batterys. This means the cams must be pulled to make the adjustment.
        Yep, you are correct Gary. I checked with the shop that I like to deal with... (Yes, I SHOULD have checked there first!!) and they had all kinds of them. Got the out-of-adjusmtent shims replaced and everything put back together.

TECH TIP:Before removing the camshafts, secure the cam chain to the sprockets with wire ties. MUCH easier to get the engne back in time.

Did a test run last night. Bike ran great... but once it got warmed up it started with the tap-tap-tap again!! So, just got done tearing it apart and remeasuring clearances again and everything is within spec, as I expected it to be. ?????? Started doing some thinking and checking... remembered an old V-8 I used to have that had a cracked manifold which chirped. Checked the exhaust flanges on the m/c and found them to be all loose. Retightened them. Haven't made a test run yet, but got my fingers crossed.
        Brian

Comment

Just went in again yesterday and checked the valve adjustment AGAIN!!! #1 & 4 exhaust were out of adjustment again. I can't understand this... a very simple process of measuring with a feeler gauge and I can't seem to get it right... <sigh> In any event, replaced the 2 shims and remeasured, everything is in spec once again. Still have a very slight tapping once the engine is warm but, the heck with it. It will stay that way and I will just turn the walkman up louder!!
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by xssiveone

TECH TIP:Before removing the camshafts, secure the cam chain to the sprockets with wire ties. MUCH easier to get the engne back in time.
            Hold on now, are you saying you removed the camshafts to get at the shims and buckets?
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Cams need to be pulled since the shims are under the buckets on these Kawasaki's. I know I had a 82 KZ650H2 (650CSR).
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Ah, yes, I'm catching on now, I should have scrolled back up in the thread to see what the talk was about in the first place. That would make valve adjustment a bit of a PITA now, wouldn't it....
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Hehehe... yes Ken, it IS a real PIA!! Not so hard after you have done it once or twice.. (or thrice!!). I was told that the design engineers went to this method to prevent the shims from slipping out of the valve followers. I dunno, I kind of like the XS setup myself. At least the shim takes the wear and abuse from the cam and not the valve follower.

Went for my first real long ride on this today. Covered almost 300km (180miles) and other then a numb butt, nothing worse for wear. M/c held together just fine and ran like the wind. Slight tapping is still there but have now heard that these engines are known for noisy valve trains. Think I will just have to turn the tunes up.

As for the plastic wire tie trick, timing is interesting on these as well. Exhaust cam is set into place by aligning a mark on the sprocket with the valve cover mating surface. Intake is set by counting links from this mark and stradling a particular link on a mark on the intake sprocket. If the chain doesn't leave the sproket then when you put the exhaust into position, the intake is automatically in time when the chain is tight between the 2 sprockets.

And, as much as I would like to take credit for it, it's not my idea. Came from another list at www.gpz550.com
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X