Yamaha GTS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha GTS1000

Does anyone have any experience or knowlege about the GTS 1000?
    My local Honda dealer has one for sale. Im looking for a sport tourer and this looks kinda cool. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Looks great... but god forbid u crash it... no standard parts... at least that's what the front "fork" suggests...

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I have always wanted one, not to ride, but to display, this was truly mechanical art. It was a limited run, very expensive and with lots of engineering firsts. I think that parts availability and price would make this a bike that you would not want to rely on for daily transpotation.

BTW, it looks like crap with the bags on it too!! I have an artical someplace around here that explains all about it.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Your both right about the parts thing. I have been sufin today looking for info on this bike. NOT MUCH! Unless your in Europe where the bike apparently ran for several more years. Parts seem quite difficult to find.

Thats all I need, another bike with no parts on the maket anymore!

The dealer is asking $5900 for a '93 with 32000 miles. He says the price is VERY nego. Good price considering the orig. cost. But I am still thinking of waiting until the ST1300 gets going and try to find an ST1100 fer cheep. Lots-o-parts for that bike.

Comment

Earlier this year there was one in the Oregonian want ads for weeks. It was more like $3k. Anyway, it was advertised as "center-steered". I didn't know what it was, but now I see these nice pictures with no forks. How does the steering work? Just curious.
          David Browne
          XS11SG Crunchbird
          XS500E

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
            Your both right about the parts thing. I have been sufin today looking for info on this bike. NOT MUCH! Unless your in Europe where the bike apparently ran for several more years. Parts seem quite difficult to find.

Thats all I need, another bike with no parts on the maket anymore!

The dealer is asking $5900 for a '93 with 32000 miles. He says the price is VERY nego. Good price considering the orig. cost. But I am still thinking of waiting until the ST1300 gets going and try to find an ST1100 fer cheep. Lots-o-parts for that bike.
            If you're thinking of spending that kind of money take a look at Honda ST1100's. I bought an immaculate '91 with 18,000 miles on it last year for $5100. It even had a few extras like a Corbin seat and and the Hondaline trunk (expensive). Parts are readily available.

I've got a few photos of it on my web site from before I totaled it. I'm gonna wait until the ST1300 drives the price down on the ST1100 and then get another....
            Steve Warren Lawrenceville GA
            http://home.attbi.com/~stevewarren/
            2002 VF750C
            1977 GL1000 CWC#449

Comment

Wayne, did you see this?
              http://gtser.kendra.com/Brochure.htm

There is quite a lot of info on the net about this GTS1000.

A-arm center hub single fork / shock single sided swingarm. Fuel injection.

Here is one of several threads I found:
              http://www.cycleworld.com/ubb/cgi-bi...=2&t=002186&p=

Variations on a theme. Many other makes had this concept. BMW cantilever front is a variation on this.

Somebody's web site:
              http://www.mts.net/~neelin/motorcycle/gts.html

In case you are interested.
              Marty in NW PA
              Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
              Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Thanks Marty,
                I did see that last website, but the one with the brochure was cool. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X