Front forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front forks?

my front forks are in decent shape execpt the right fork has a couple of pitting spots on it, causing it to leak fluid. is there any way of repairing it or will i have to resort on getting a new one?? Thanks Dennis
    Dennis 79' XS1100F 80'XS650Special Lets Git-R-Done And Cruise

I checked into having fork tubes rechromed. It's expensive but cheaper than new tubes. Call around to all the plating shops in your area. There is bound to be one that knows all about it.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Thank you geezer i didnt know if i could repair or not
      Dennis 79' XS1100F 80'XS650Special Lets Git-R-Done And Cruise

Comment

fire fighter

If the pits arent too bad try a scotch brite pad. If your lucky the ridge left from the pitting will polish out. And replace the seals. The pitting will put very small cuts in the seals and they will leak again. It's cheaper than plating. Seals are around $20.00

Comment

I've never tried this but I've always wondered if after cleaning and polishing with #1500 sandpaper (wetted with solvent, then degreased, if the pits could be filled with epoxy.

Assuming this would work (one hell of a big assumption) then the tubes would have to be polished down again after the resin hardend.

The closiest I've come to trying this was filling rust pits on the outside of an old military Mauser barrel. It was rusted where the original wood contacted the barrel and looked like crap. I bead blasted the places to be filled and filled them with JB Weld. After sanding it down, I painted it with Yamaha self oxidizing exhaust paint and baked it on. It was pretty good looking for cheap old hunting rifle. Your milage may vary...

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Something you could try that may make the fork seals last longer...once every couple of weeks or so, loosen the fork clamp bolts i the triple clamp (one side at time) and rotate the tube a little. That will keep the pits from wearing on the same spot on the seals, and mabe prolong seal life. Your idea of the JB weld, or similiar material may be a good temporary fix. Be worth a try.

Comment

forks from franks

quoted me 225 for both forks new not rebuilt.you supply all the inner workings.Over and under sizes slightly different costs.
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
              X