Maxim 750 starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxim 750 starting problems

I have starting problem with my 83 Maxim 750. Yes, I know this 1100 site but I can’t find anything like this for 750’s and I’m guessing they would be very similar.

I purchased the 83 Maxim 750 about 2 moths ago. Last weekend I went for a ride with my buddy (owns 84 Virago 1000) and during our trip we traveled about 10 miles on a very bumpy highway. On the way home we stopped for a coffee and when I went to start my bike it barely turned over. It gave me about ½ turn and it just clicked. My buddy pushed me on the bike and it started in 2nd gear no problem.

Yesterday I took the bike battery to a local battery shop and they stated it was done. I purchased a new battery. Once installed in my bike it did turn the engine and eventually it started. I was happy that the fix was this easy. But my happiness was short lived. I turned off the bike and tried to start it again and to my surprise again it turned slowly and then just clicked when I pressed the start button.

I let it sit for about 1 hour and went to test again. This time I connected jumper cables from my car (to make sure the new battery was getting enough juice) and got the same results; 1 slow turn and then just click when I press the start button. I got closer to the engine when pressing the start button and heard something click and then some kind of spinning or humming noise came from somewhere under the carbs. Eventually after half a dozen or so tries the bike did turn over and started again.

I’m not very familiar with the bike parts names and location of the components but I’m very good with tools and can fix/test if I know what to look for and if I know where to find it (pictures are even better). At this time I’m thinking of checking the connections by following the wires from the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The yamaha site has it's parts catalogue online. You can go there and take a look at the starter motor / starter clutch diagram. Sounds like the starter clutch is not engaging. The whirring sound is the starter running without engaging the engine. These things can get intermittent. Might have shaken something loose on that bumpy road.

Steve
    80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
    73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
    62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
    Norton Electra - future restore
    CZ 400 MX'er
    68 Ducati Scrambler
    RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Re: Maxim 750 starting problems

snosheriff wrote:
      I have starting problem with my 83 Maxim 750. Yes, I know this 1100 site but I can’t find anything like this for 750’s and I’m guessing they would be very similar.
      The XJs are very similar, but not all together the same. There's an excellent XJ discussion list where you can get a more specific reply.

XJ-Owners List

Hope to see you there!

Bill K
      Bill K.
      1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
      1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Working...
      X