V-ROD... Fast? Oh man....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-ROD... Fast? Oh man....

Let me start by saying "The Breeze had never been beat or even really challenged by any of the local Harleys around here or on the open road.
    My nephew shows up with a very sharp and new looking V-ROD.. "Is it fast?" I ask, not really knowing what to expect out of an engine that looks like it came from a Buck Rodgers episode. "It's not too shabby" he replies. We decide to go for a ride "because it's so dang nice out". Of course as soon as we leave the city limits on a fairly deserted piece of flat road, I dropped a gear and mashed it. In his usual way, "The Breeze" took his head, squated slightly on his hunches and got down to business. As I was rolling through 100, a silver streak of Lightning whipped by on the left, leaving "The Breeze" and I in a swirl of jet-wash. The silver streak quickly morphed into a tiny speck on the distant pavement. A few minutes later we pull up alongside the grinning offspring of SWMBO's sister, who is by now leaning on his idling bike by the side of the road, in that "cool guy" stance known only to those who are feeling quite smug about some money they feel was recently well spent. "Yeah.." says I, "I guess she has a pretty fat top end. "It's OK" he replies, then states that " I let ya get rolling a little bit berfore I laid into it". "What?" I reply in disbelief. If "The Breeze" has anything, it's acceleration. Noting my smirk, he hops back on, smiles, and puts his kick stand up. Thinking maybe I had a jump, I lit the furnace again. As I was preparing to make the smoothest, most well executed power shift of my life from 1st to 2nd, lightning struck again as the mysterious silver streak once again appeared and just as quickly vanished into thin air.
    Well, appearantly the V-Rod is quite an animal. I will be the first to tell ya how fun it is to listen to someone tell you how much they spent on their new Harley, and how fast it is, then blow them into the ditch. However, be warned.....choose your battles carefully if you can't handle the idea of losing a few.
    My bike is pretty much stock. The nephews V-Rod is used, bone stock, and just for your amusement he gave less than 10K for it. He got it from a wealthy guy who wanted to get in on the 100th aniversery Harley thing, but then lost interest after about 2000 miles. Hmmmpph.... I love my bike as before, but I must admit...That V-ROD... plenty of cool there, and the respect came the old fashioned way.
    They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Materi,

I read you loud and clear. My pal just got one of those and I beat him once.

ONCE.

I know as soon as he learns to shift it, Swamp Thing is V-Rod fodder!

I've been avoiding him for a few weeks now.

Comment

Was watching Automaniac on the Telly a few nights ago. They did a bit on the Ducati 999R. 0 - 60 in 3 (yes, three) seconds, with a top end of 190 MPH. Cost around $30K. 150 hp in a 400 lb bike.

Ducati web page:
      http://www.ducati.com
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Well... its not a harley engine. So you have an excuse for being beaten. Well... to tell the truth, is anything on a V-rod manufactured in the US?
        I'm not a hardley fan, but thats no hardley. Too bad. I liked hadleys better, even if they were unridable (at least like I like to ride).
        The second thing is.... any time someone beats me at a drag... I wonder what's wrong with my 78E. New muffler intrails, open air filter and carb job are in store for the winter.
        A friend on a ZRX1200 beat me in a stoplight drag. Quite embarassing. Not so much on the freeway, but that can be fixed. The only problem is... he just got a new akrapovic exhaust half an hour ago. (BTW, did you know akrapovic used to live 100m from my house? A friend used to race with him. Never met the guy tho)
        So... get some decent exhausts, K&N air filters, a carb job and let him eat your dust! (within legal limits and in all safety, officer)

LP

PS: I dusted RSV Mille.
        PPS: A bit modified ZX12R made 2.5secs 0-60 and top speed of 200mph. No turbo. Gotta ask a friend what was the top speed of his 79 Z900.
        Last edited by strom; 07-15-2005, 02:35 PM.
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

.. the grips
          i think the grips are made in the usa
          all the bolts are metric
          .. if you want to beat up on a weewod head for the twistys ,these bikes are bilt like drag racers so they turn like crusers
          you will have to spend alot of money to keep up with one on the straits

Comment

cheer up !

I saw the special on how they developed the nim rod. And there is hundreds of hours of intensive development involved. If someone had put that much effort in our model we would have at least 140hp on tap, and a slender 450 lb killer ! I have an issue of cycle world dated feb of 02' There is an intervue with nun other than Terry Vance( of vance and hines) Disscussing "The bike that almost ate Terry Vance". He goes on about a suzuki gs 1100 baced machine messaged out to 1325 and supercharged, nitrometh and all the trimmings, Produced 800 hp,which was the first top fueler to break the 200 mph barrier. Actual was" 6.98 sec@203.61mph. My point is the suzuki gs was our competition, and with a little help the sx should be able to kick a nim rod In the Arss! I'm on a mission to take my 1179cc and go chain drive and to" even the playing field "go with cams and pipe, Keihn flat slides. Opening up a can of spam ! Whoop Butt! Thats only fair ! They spent millions. I'm only going $1500.00 and some dyno time. Just kidding I'm going to get another beer ! Cheers !

Comment

2 words for the v-rods :

v-max / v-boost

Comment

My point is the suzuki gs was our competition, and with a little help the sx should be able to kick a nim rod In the Arss!
                My question is,,,,, What is an sx.????
                S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                1-big XS patch
                1-small XS/XJ patch
                1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

quit picking on me ! I ment xj only a sissy would ride a xs ! Does your mom know you borrowed it last friday night on your date with my sister ? She looks better with her cow bell off. Wouldn't you agree ?

Comment

Heheehehehe!
                    Hahahaah!
                    Cow bell!!!
                    Hahahaa
                    Yeah, she's no beauty.
                    We were sittin' on the couch getting ready to make-out. She started to take her glasses off, and I snidely remarked...
                    "What, you're takin' your glasses off to try to make yourself look better?"
                    And she says, "No, I'm taking them off to make YOU look better!"

Cow bell!
                    Hahahaha
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

The V-rod engine and frame design and development was highly assisted by the germans over at Porsche, in case you did not know...
                      It's the first Harley that looks good, IMHO.
                      Carpe Diem!
                      1980 XS850G
                      1973 CT70

Comment

The XS is truly a force of nature, but frankly it can only beat about 90% of what's out there. There are a few betterfasterstronger bikes - my FZ-1 has 143HP and weighs in at 450 lb. I know that the XS is no match for it, and I know my FZ-1 is no match for, say, an R-1, but I still love my XS, and I still love surprising some of those 90 percenters who thought they knew everything but really needed a lesson...

Regarding the V-Rod, it is fast, but in a race a Rocket III will beat it any time, a V-Max will give it a good look for a while then pass it, a ZRX10 will beat the Rocket III, I don't know where my FZ-1 or, say, a V-Strom would be in that race but I bet they would be close enough to see who crossed the finish line first.

About torque and horse power (or watts or newton-meters) here is a good site:
                        http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html
                        Marty in NW PA
                        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                        This IS my happy face.

Comment

WANNA BE !

I would rather drive a tried and true Jap bike rather than harley's first attempt at a Jap bike!!
                          Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

?

Can't we all just get along
                            1982 XJ 1100
                            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Well, now he added some sort of tuneable pipe to the creature which supposedly gave him another 10 or so horsepower (according to HD). I told him it was a good thing, because that dog sure did lack for top-end before

Anyway, just for the record we blew through the twisties together the other night, and yeah....I think I could have left him in the dust. But...it was dark, and I don't like to push the issue in situations like that because then, a lot of riding technique comes into play, and knowing when to twist the throttle forward is probably more important than twisting it towards you. I don't want to push someone (especially the offspring of my family members) into something that may be more than they are equipped to handle. But I digress....again for the record, I could tell by what the bikes were doing that I could have left him in the hairpins all other things considered.

BTW, that cowbell thing...Ha Haha.....awww c'mon dudes, she's not that much of mutt....though the dentist was wondering what happened to all of her teeth when your Pop informed him he was working on the wrong end.....

Keith
                              They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X