Finished with the Duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished with the Duck

Been working on the electrical on this bike for a couple of days now. Mabee I'm too much of a perfectionist but I'm calling it quits on the Duck. The bike looks great and runs good. Just not reliable. Keeps fouling out the no one cyclinder plug. I believe that is is cauzed by blow-by. She smokes pretty good outta that jug. The main light switch is so worn out that I can't really fix it. The wiring is 35 years old and really needs replaced. I don't think that the guy that owns this bike is going to want to put the $$$ into it that it's going to require. ( ie: engine rebuild, fork tube replacment, Wire harness replacement. ) These XS650's are notorious for charging problems. Same goes here. It charges for awhile, then quites charging altogether until it's cold. Then it charges agian. This leads me to believe that the stator brushes are worn. I've decided that as of today, I will not work on any body's bike for $$. I will help them out if they want to work on it themselves, But the frustration and time invested, to me, are not worth giving up the time from working and riding on my own stuff.
    Thanks for all the advice from you guys who are knowledgable with the XS650's. With your help, we did concore many obsticals.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

I understand a favor turning around and biting you in the 6:00, but most of the charging problems on XS650's are the brushes. Putting in a new set and clean the slip rings does it most of the time.

These bikes were pretty easy on stators and rotors and I have regulators and rectifiers for them on my website if he needs them.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I worked my way through the stuff breaking just after fixing it. Runs great as long as you don't turn on the lights. I may be ordering some parts from you next year. The gentleman that owns this bike said we're done witgh spending this year, mabee next. This will give me a little bit of time to test this stuff out and figure out XSactlly what it needs.
      S.R.Czekus

1-big XS patch
      1-small XS/XJ patch
      1-XS/XJ owners pin.

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

It seems strange to me that he would give up on it just before riding season...

But then a lot of what some people do with (or to) their bike escapes me. For example my 79 Standard project bike with 17k miles on it that was left to rot under a carport for almost 20 years...

Back to the 650, it will probably need to have the handle bar switches gone though, cleaned and lubed. This is a slow and tedious process that the factory never meant for any one to do. I'm not sure if it's worth the labor on somebody else's bike but well worth the loving effort on my own machines.

Geezer

Comment

Well I guess that I was XStreamlly frustrated with this thing. Hurts pride more then anything being that I've turned wrenches my whole life and consider myself a pretty good trouble shooter. I did find the problem with the lights. When I reassebled the switch, I put the copper slider in upside down, Were there should have been two nipple making contact, there was only one. Bike rides great, ( even with the little bit of blowby ) Just little nit picky stuff now.
          S.R.Czekus

1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

pics

Where's the last pic's???? Before ya go on we that have been on pin's and cushion need to see some pics!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This pic is close to what she is now

Since this was taken, I've fabricated a seat bracket and did some fancy fabric work on the seat cover. This is an old picture. I did sart a thread called my dog ate my camera.
              S.R.Czekus

1-big XS patch
              1-small XS/XJ patch
              1-XS/XJ owners pin.

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

pic

Awsom,,how does she sound????

Comment

Sounds pretty good with those potato pipes. Turnes alot of heads. I like riding it by the local harley hang out bar and watching the heads turn.
                  S.R.Czekus

1-big XS patch
                  1-small XS/XJ patch
                  1-XS/XJ owners pin.

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Czekus21
                      Well I guess that I was XStreamlly frustrated with this thing. Hurts pride more then anything being that I've turned wrenches my whole life and consider myself a pretty good trouble shooter.
                      I know how you feel, I'm currently working on a FZR600 and for no obvious reason it's running so rich that it'll foul the plugs black in under 10 miles. All the jets and needles are stock. I'm down to thinking some dork drilled the jets...

Geezer

Comment

charging?

If this bike still has charging problems, bear in mind that the weak point in this system is the alternator rotor. If you have a XS650, it's not if the rotor will fail, but when. A rewound unit should last a long time.

We had two failed rotors on a 650 rally a couple years ago and had to get the bikes 150 miles swapping batteries around after isolating the rotors.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Working...
                        X