Gentleman, Check your sprockets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentleman, Check your sprockets!

I am working on a chain drive conversion for my project XS and have discovered a clearance problem. I had intended on using a R1 rear wheel and sprockets. The R1 uses a 530 chain, driven by a 16 tooth drive sprocket. That drive sprocket is too large of diameter to clear the XS transmission.

What I am looking for is a 530 drive sprocket that is no more than 80mm in diameter, measured at the end of apposing teeth (14 or 15 tooth). I have not yet splined the drive shaft, so that is not an issue. I visited all the local cycle shops, but they weren’t much help.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Custom

How about finding some guy who makes gears or sprockets as some call them to fit........It would pricy but must be someone in the area who could cut a gear out of a blank steel billet and machine it then harden it to suit the size you need..........you probably have gone the route of looking for comparable sized gears from junk bikes.......where I work most of our grinding equipment was built in Switzerland and replacement sprockets were costing around $1200. for a 31 tooth sprocket new off the shelf. Maintenance dept. found a machinist in the area who made sprockets as a side hobby at half the cost, they worked out just fine........anyway Denny, good luck with the conversion and a happy new year.
    Bruce
    78 XS1100 Alpha
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Bruce,

I can machine a sprocket. If I can't find something off the shelf, I will make my own.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

There is Sprocket Specialities that can custom make sprockets.I would check them out.Concerning a 530 chain with a little checking you might be able to use a 520 o ring or x ring chain which would be stronger and lighter than the 530.Check sprocket specialities they might be able to help you out.Good luck.
        Bill Harvell

Comment

Wildbill,

I ordered a 15 and 14 tooth sprocket from DennisKirk
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Hi Denny,
            Good project you have gotten yourself into. The Fat Tire XS!
            Do you have a website or pictures, I would like to see your Work-In-Progress shots of the conversion.

We are in the middle of solving the sprocket problems on my Current Project. Same kind of problems, sprocket want to hit the case or something else.

I know you will figure it out, I have seen pictures a few years ago - of some mods & additions that you made to your 79F
            Bill Woods
            1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
            1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
            2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

I am currently working on the output shaft that will drive the sprocket. I found a 14 tooth sprocket that clears the housing. Once this shaft is done, I will start on a housing to put it all in.

The shaft is a hardened piece, so I either have to soften a stock one up to machine it or machine a new one. Then have it hardened. Both ways have their on issues.

I will have to fabricate a new swing arm also. Aluminum, I home.

Hopefully, pictures soon.
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
              X