V-Strom 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Strom 1000

I probably made a bad mistake today when I lingered too long at my local Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Susuki, etc. dealer. I was wandering around the showroom telling my friend how I couldn't find a new motorcycle that I liked when I found a 2005 Susuki V-Strom 1000. I made an even more grave mistake of sitting on it and found that it fit. Things got worse when the salesman walked by and said "You want to ride it?" Well, I couldn't say no, could I?

It is the first modern bike that I have felt good on and I am so happy that the salesman was busy when I returned it so I could escape without buying it. I bet my wife would be even more happy if she knew how close we came to being the proud owners of a new motorcycle.

Have any of you other XSers ridden one of these? What did you thinK about it?
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

I didn't ride one, but I did sit on it at a bike show. The thing just feets comfortable right away. I was talking to a guy who had one at Deal's Gap and he loved it. When he pulled off to do another run he did a nice long wheelie on it.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

stunt bike

quite a few guys use theese bikes for stunting. they take a crash ok ,and wheelie pretty easy.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I haven't ridden one but have read alot about it. It seems to be an excellent all around bike. The only weakness to me is the looks. You should check out the V-Strom 650 as well (same frame but lighter), Motorcycle Consumer News raved about it.
        Robert
        79 SF

Comment

Well, I bought one yesterday. It was the color I wanted (black, with blue metal-flake, just like my SH), the price I wanted ($7,499) and it was at a local dealer. I can't wait until I get it broken in so I can really get on it.
          Bill Murrin
          Nashville, TN
          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

Bill,
            Can you post or link a photo of the new ride?? Congrats on getting it!
            Don
            Don
            99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Originally posted by nashville_bill
              Well, I bought one yesterday. It was the color I wanted (black, with blue metal-flake, just like my SH), the price I wanted ($7,499) and it was at a local dealer. I can't wait until I get it broken in so I can really get on it.
              Awesome! Congrats on the new ride. Bringing it to TWO next fall?
              Gary Granger

Comment

Thanks, Don.

http://www.procycleusa.com/index.cfm...=12&baseid=482

Gary, Mary wants to go back this spring to the XS650 club's "Dogwood Festival", so I guess that will be it's first trip to Suches and then back in the fall.

My garage is getting crowded with three motorcycles now.
                Bill Murrin
                Nashville, TN
                2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

v-strom

hiya bill,

have you had a chance to ride the new v-strom much yet. how has it performed so far. all i've read say it and the 650 both are awesome machines. i have been seriously watching this bike for some time now and really like the looks. my only concern was the high ride height. is this adjustable or a problem? it also looks right on with the hard side and trunk box attached.

cheers

Comment

The smoothness, flat power curve and sure handling are shocking to me. I had a test ride that hooked me, but my first real weekend on it has me woried about my drivers license. I'm still braking it in and keeping it below 5,000 rpm (which is 95 mph) and I can't say enough about it. I can't wait until I get to open the throttle all the way. All my riding buddies are pretty shocked too after their turns riding it. The curves that were pretty scary at 60 on my XS11 are comfy at 80 on the V Strom. And I thought my XS11 was pretty strong. It's amazing what has happened in the last 25 years.

The ride hight is the first thing that was attractive about it to me. I'm 6' 3" and have always felt cramped on my bikes, but this one is like sitting in a chair. I read on one of the V-Strom forums that you can reduce the seat hight by an inch by putting the 650 seat on the 1000. I did buy an aftermarket windshield from Cee Bailey's to take some of the air off my helmet. I can ride at 75 mph now with my visor up.

So, go to your local dealer and give it a test ride. But, be warned, you may not get over it.
                    Bill Murrin
                    Nashville, TN
                    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

thats the worry. the dealer i last purchased from has a hot 04 with super low miles for the mid 6k range and its killing me.

Comment

Originally posted by nashville_bill
                        The smoothness, flat power curve and sure handling are shocking to me. I had a test ride that hooked me, but my first real weekend on it has me woried about my drivers license. -SNIP- The curves that were pretty scary at 60 on my XS11 are comfy at 80 on the V Strom. And I thought my XS11 was pretty strong. It's amazing what has happened in the last 25 years. -SNIP-

It seems like the same think I said when I bought my Bandit....I was shocked at what 25 years had changed. Then when I got the Aprilia, I was shocked what 5 more years had changed. Almost every day I rode the Aprilia, I walked in the house and said "I don't have to slow down for corners any more"....Bill, it only gets better from this point on, enjoy the ride!
                        Gary Granger

Comment

The same guys I have been riding with that were hard to keep up with are now dissapearing in my mirrors and I'm still braking it in. The best rider is on an FJR 1300 and he couldn't belive how strong and how well the V Strom handled when he road it last weekend. The guy on the BMW 1150RT was blown away as well. I wasn't very impressed with the BMW.
                          Bill Murrin
                          Nashville, TN
                          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

I rode the 1150RT at Americade a few years back.....ummm it sucks for a $16,000 ($18,000 with options) bike. Thats the price of two good bikes!!
                            Gary Granger

Comment

Congrats on the new ride!
                              Keep the rubber side down and all....
                              BMW.... rode the rockster... 1150. Bout the same horsepower and torque as the eleven. Shaft driven, 80 kilos or so lighter, and 25 years younger. 25 years people! And they still cant make em as good as my XS! Sure, it can do almost all the stuff the XS can. It even brakes better. But I was scared ****less with the throttle in a curve, not to mention the annoying vibration. I know vibrations. I had a guzzi... an italian version of a hardley drivable. Shakes itself to bits. But those left me with a grin for a couple of hours after a ride. BMW was just annoying. It did a bit better two-up, but.... naaaah....
                              Gotta take the new VFR for a ride one of these days... too bad they're pricy.
                              Eh well... F**k comfort. I wanna nice old big block cafe racer guzzi!

LP
                              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
                              X