FJ 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FJ 1100

Anybody have carnal knowledge of the inner workings of these beasts? SWMBO's Damned FJ 1100 has developed a knock and it seems to be coming from the right side, towards the rear of the clutch cover, in the area of the trans shafts. We have pulled the engine and torn it apart. I have inspected evey bearing other than the crank mains, and I can't find anything wrong. No sloppiness or rough feel when spinning them. The bearing that the clutch basket rides on seems ok. The main shaft bearing and starter drive assy seem ok. It only seems to be noticable when sitting still, trans in gear, and the clutch lever is being squeezed.
    Any ideas?
    TIA

I had an XS motor that did that and it turned out to be the primary chain slapping the bottom of the crankcase. I noticed a the inside of the case was polished from the chain makinf contact.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

sabotage?

hey john you didn't......... you know slip her some ....saw ...dust or something ,trying to beat that fj in a show down ,did ya?Just kidding . does sound like a primary chain thogh. But that is unkanel knowledge.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Sabotage? Me?

Nope, no funny business here. It has been knocking for some time, but it has now gotten to the point where it needs to be looked at, only looking didn't find anything wrong. Over at an FJ members forum, I posted the same question as I did here, and one of the replies was the starter drive chain could be worn, and slapping around, or the clutch basket is worn, allowing the friction plates to bang around where they protrude out the side of the basket. That seems to be a problem on our bikes too.

Comment

Working...
        X