crack in the fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crack in the fender

Got out to the garage this morning, and noticed a fresh crack right up the front fender. I don't know how it got there. but it was about 1 inch long this morning, and after a 20 mile ride, its now about 3 inches.

I'm thinking of taking it off the bike, patching it with some JB weld or something similar, letting it set, and putting it back on. Just want to get anyone's thoughts before I start. Any techniques? Anything to look out for? I don't even know what caused this. This is on a 2005 Honda Shadow Aero, fiberglass fender. I wanna do this right the first time, to avoid paying the local shop a hundred big ones to patch it up for me. Here's a pic

http://llamakc.org/gallery/garagesale2k4/aas

1979 XS1100 Special

Cracked Fender

Suggest you drill a hole in the end of the crack first to prevent it growing longer.
    Then remove the fender, work from the inside a lay 2 or 3 layers of fiberglass to reinforce the entire area. Then fill the crack outside with a good quality body filler. (bondo) Block sand the entire area back to it's original shape. Prime and paint.
    When remounting make sure the mounting bolts from fender to fork legs are not putting extra stress on the fender, trying to flex the curvature of the fender flat. If it appears that stress is being placed on the fender enlarge the mounting holes slightly or place some shims (stainless steel washers between the leg mounting points and the fender.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"
    92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

You could try someone who does plastic welding.
      OR...further to Ken's reply, I'm no expert, but if the crack is fresh and mates up cleanly, one method to repair is:
      1) Remove the fender
      2) Carefully and litely apply some good (epoxy?) glue in the crack to get it to bond (work from the underside if you can so it won't show on top, and be careful not to get any glue on the top and paint of the fender where you can see it). With a good glue it should only take a few drops to bond the crack so it is almost invisible from the top.
      Then, reinforce the crack from the underside of the fender (out of site). Make sure area to be reinforced is clean of course.
      3) On the underside of the fender, cut and lay a strip of fibreglas drywall tape over the crack. This is the tape that's sticky on one side and has a mesh-like appearance.
      4) Apply a lite coat of epoxy resin a couple inches wide over the taped crack. This is the resin/hardener used in fibreglas body repair kits. You can get a small can of it at most hardware or auto parts stores.
      Let this set up over nite and then put another lite coat of epoxy resin over the area. You could do a couple layers of 3 & 4 of you wish. Using lite coats is better than glopping it on real thick. You can then sand smooth, mask and spray a coat of black paint under there to finish it up and hide the repair. It's up to you. You're working on a brand new machine, so I guess you have to weigh the risks of attempting repairs yourself. If glue or resin gets on painted surfaces = more work. Your decision. Your results may vary. Good luck.
      Dennis

Comment

Cracked Fender

Brock, I just reread your original post. Missed the fact that it is an 05 first time around. If the fender shows no damage beyond the crack and you are the original owner I would shoot back to the dealer and start to "squeak" real loud.
        If this crack developed on it's own through normal road vibrations then either the fender had some form of flaw in it or the mounting to the fork legs was putting some kind of abnormal stress on the fender. This should be a warranty claim.
        Lots of luck. If the dealer is worth dealing with in the future he will replace the fender under warranty or you point out to him that this is the last bike that you will be buying through his dealership. Be pleasant with him but "firm".
        Ken/Sooke
        78E Ratbyk
        82 FT500 "lilRat"
        92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

Thanks to everybody who replied and to brock for posting this original thread. This bike is mine, and brock and I are friends who ride together often. I'm in the hunt for an '80 XS11 right now and brock has bragged about the friendliness and knowledge of this forum.

I was unable to get the fender warrantied. I'm not surprised by this because the local shop here is straight-out a pain in the butt. To be honest, I'm fine with this. I am cool with doing the repair myself. I'm going to fix the crack

myself. I probably won't get to the top side until later this winter. I'm thinking some custom paint job at that time.

I have one question. When I drill the hole, do it do it at the END of the crack, and about how big? I understand the purpose but am not sure in its application.

Once more, thanks. I hope to contribute something back, and soon.
          1980 Yamaha XS11 (...soon)
          2005 Honda Shadow Aero (VT750)

Comment

Cracked Fender

I would go with a 3/16 drill bit right at the very end of the crack. Examine the area to be drilled under a good light and possibly use a magnifying glass to ensure you are at the end of the crack.
            If you drill before the end the crack will continue to grow.
            Ken/Sooke
            78E Ratbyk
            82 FT500 "lilRat"
            92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

Well? how did it turn out? can we see some "after" shots? Any good advice for someone who wants to do this next time?
              1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Yep. I'll go take some pics.

Comment

One question.....does that bike have a fork brace??
                  Garry
                  '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                  outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Yes it does. I took some photos and will post with a link to them. FWIW the repaired fender looks similar to what it did with the crack. Because the material is plastic, there is a white line marking the crack on the top. I bought a Bondo fiberglass repair kit at an auto parts store, drilled out the hole on the underside of the fender (where the crack went 1/4" longer than shown on top) and began patching. I did 4 pieces of the cloth and let it cure. The opposing sides of the crack matched up well. The fender has held up well.

I'm considering getting a fender ornament to cover up the crack, but for right now I'm satisfied with a scar.

When I took the fender off, I left the fender brace on and I realized that in a worst-case scenario I could probably adapt a different fender with a bit of tweaking.

Comment

Fiberglass won't stick to plastic, it will peel off. Have it (or do it yourself) plastic welded.
                      I went throught this with my (Pacifico) fairing.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks for that info. I'm going to remove the fender today and take a look at it.

Comment

Cracked Fender

How about adding a adhesive vinyl stick on transfer. An eagle/pinup/dragon, what ever turns your crank. It will hide the previous repair AND help hold it together. Just an idea rather than spend big $ on another fender.
                          Ken/Sooke

Comment

Working...
                          X