xs650 thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs650 thoughts

i found an 81 xs650sh today at a bike shop today. its missing some parts(head light,side panels, airbox ,etc). the guy says it has an electrical problem. when the key is on and you touch the plug wire it shocks you and it wont start. He wants $150 for it as is. I was thinking of pulling up in a truck and offering him $100 for it. does this sound like a good idea? my wife wants a bike and i want a 2nd one to ride when i'm working on mine. I have already looked at my favorite shopping spot (ebay) and there seems to be plenty of parts around for it. Any imput would be great. Thanks
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

Hi,
    I think i would keep looking. If you are going to buy an old bike that needs work, at least buy a whole bike. The XS650 is the most mass produced bike ever sold in the USA. You can find one forgotten about in a garge for $300.00 or under if you look. Parts are plentiful for these bikes.
    good luck if you do buy it. Offer him $50.00 if it has a clean title, tis what i would do.
    Bill Woods
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Shawn,

I have had a XS650 for 20 years - bought it new. It's a complety different ride from your XS11. It VIBRATES a lot and feels like it weighs half as much as the XS11, even though it is only about 100 lbs lighter. But all of the downers considered, I still love to ride it. It was a copy of the Triumph Bonneville without as many hastles.

If you decide to get it, I will be happy to help you get it running. Plenty of parts on Ebay and new parts at :

www.650motorcycles.com/mikesxs.html
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

how well does the parts cross over between all the diffrent years?
        Shawn
        78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
        78 XS1100E Parts
        www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Re: xs650 thoughts

sksxs1100 wrote:
          i found an 81 xs650sh today at a bike shop today. its missing some parts(head light,side panels, airbox ,etc).
          I have a complete '81 650 Special partzer in the garage. It was a daily driver until the engine seized. If you buy this one, let me know what parts you need and I'll make you an XSellent deal!

Bill K.
          1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
          1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

With this much parts and stuff... go get it...
            Don't forget to bargain...

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

well, talked to him again today and he has no titile. I also talked to the DMV and found out how easy it is to get a new title. So i'm going with a truck on Saturday and offer him $50. If he dont take it then he's an idiot. did some more looking at it today while i was there... there ain't no way those lawn mower repair guy will ever get it running...lol
              Shawn
              78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
              78 XS1100E Parts
              www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Shawn,

Here is a web site that will get you started. At least you can find out what year it is. Good luck!
                www.yamaha650society.com/Year%20by%20Model.htm
                Bill Murrin
                Nashville, TN
                2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

Shawn,

I found another web page that could be very useful to you and your new 650's electrical troubleshooting.
                  www.650motorcycles.com/KenMaxwell.html
                  Bill Murrin
                  Nashville, TN
                  2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

well i did it... i went and bought the 81 xs650sh for $70.. i will need parts...lol but am going to try to get the title first before i spend alot of money on it. it should be a good trouble shooting night mare but i can do it...lol. more on it later, just waiting for Dad to come by so we can unload it.. now i'm off to fix the 1100(gas puddle under it)
                    Shawn
                    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                    78 XS1100E Parts
                    www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

my first xs

My first xs was a 650 xpecial 2, i think an 80...

rode the heck out of it.. till the kids came along.. then closed the business.. and it 'had to go'

Heck i saw one of those things kinda rough sittin on the side of the road withh a for sale sign yesterday too..

Lots of those things out there. .and yes it does vibrate.. maybe thats why the ex liked to ride so much.. errr nevermind
                      jeff "Wags"
                      Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                      79sf rusty
                      79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

well i finally got "Little Sis" at the house and into surgery. God the guys at the shop i got it from were idiots. The battery negitive was tied to the battery box, which is rubber isolated from the rest of the bike. So i got that temp fixed and got the starter curcuit to work, now just have to let my old battery charge and see if it will turn over by the starter. I did get some pics of her before i started. i hope this link works as i have no place to upload them to besides yahoo.

http://photos.yahoo.com/rhiamyst
                        now back to surgery....
                        Shawn
                        78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                        78 XS1100E Parts
                        www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

ok... she has a starter problem...prolly some busted teeth some where. she has spark.... an with the help of a little starter fluid...SHE WILL START. now i just have to clean the carbs and try to start it with gas in the carbs. I have had the bike home less than 3 hours at this time and i have it kicking off... the guys at the shop where i got it had it for a long time and coulnd't get it to even try to start... guess they need to stick to little lawn mowers......LMAO

now off to pull the carbs...
                          Shawn
                          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                          78 XS1100E Parts
                          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

IT LIVES.... finished cleaning the carbs today (not a perfect job). fed her some fuel...alittle starter fluid and Bam.... she started and ran.... shut her off and she started without any more starting fluid....still need to sync the carbs... but have other things to take care of before i go starting her any more... like oil leaks and mechical noise from cam area... i dont know if the noise is normal or not so i'll tear into and find out.... more to come....
                            Shawn
                            78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                            78 XS1100E Parts
                            www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

XS(650)ellent

Looks like she needs bout the same amount of work as mine... well... mine is alredy polished up... and waiting... tommorow is the big day... engine back in the frame after at least 6 years...

The bike looks great (yours), clean er up and give em hell...

LP
                              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
                              X