70's chopper project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70's chopper project

As much as I like my XJ, I've been thinking for a while about building myself a traditional 70's style chopper. I want something in an older (obviously) chain-driven bike, either a twin or four cylinder. I'm leaning towards the old Honda 450/500 DOHC twins, but I'd like to find something with a bit more displacement to haul my big a** around. Maybe a 550/750 four. Leaning toards a Honda, since I'm most familier with those and know they're dependable, but would consider other brands too. A lot depends on what I find and the price. After all, I'm just an opportunistic "bottom feeder"!
    Anybody have any good suggestions for a project? If so, why do you recommend it? And what would you do to mod it? And if you happen to run across any likely candidates in my neck o' the woods, please let me know.
    John
    82 XJ1100J
    "eXJunk"

The XS650 twin or one of the earlier models of the same bike is about ideal. They're light weight, have pretty good power and run forever. Even better, they made them for over 10 years.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I agree with Geezer. The XS650 SPECIAL is plentiful and cheap. I recently bought one in a car salvage yard for $30 and had another given to me. The parts you remove are usually marketable on eBay.

There is a lot of support for the 650 on the net. Do a "google" search and you'll find plenty of customs. There's an interesting chopper on this site: http:www.cyclepsycho.com He's also a good parts source.

The earlier XS650's are becoming popular to restore. I've had my SPECIAL for 21 years and the longer I have it, the more I like it.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

After sseing the chop and drop done on the XS on these forums I think fall of 2005 I am going to get creative with my 79 cb750K. It looks pretty raggedy but DOHC has a real nice power curve. Plus it is chain drive so no swing arm to get in the way of a big fat tire.
        I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

I should have figured I'd get the Yamaha-slanted response from this group! Seriously tho, there are two problems with going with the XS650. First, I'm really looking for something more "period". In other words, a bike from say the mid sixties to the mid seventies. I figure that pretty much leaves the XS bikes out. Second, those bikes just aren't real common around here. Mostly you find Hondas and Kawasakis, and I've never really been into Kaws. That's why right now I'm mostly thinking Honda 450-500 twins or 550-750 fours. Who knows what I might run across tho. What did Yamaha have before the XS series that might fit my criteria? Or for that matter, what did Suzuki have? Mostly what i've owned over the years have been Hondas, so my knowledge of the other brand's offerings is pretty poor.
          John
          82 XJ1100J
          "eXJunk"

Comment

Yamaha came out with their 650 in 1969 as the 1970 XS-1. The bike remained in one form or another through 1984. 1983 was the last US model.

If you were to build a chopper from a XS650, the only difference between the Special and standard frame is the position of the rear shocks. I say this because 650 Specials can be had for as little as nothing. The standards are becoming more popular as restoration projects.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Talk about a 70's chopper project. Check out the thread I started called the Ugly Duckling This is a 1970 XS650, It's came along way so far but still has a long way to go. I'll update that thread in a couple of weeks, after I get her running.
              S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
              1-big XS patch
              1-small XS/XJ patch
              1-XS/XJ owners pin.
              1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
              2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
              1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
              1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I been thinkin' lately just how cool an FJ chopper could be!
                Garry
                '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

How about a "water-buffalo" chopper? The old (Suzuki?) 2-stroke, water cooled 750. That would be unique.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

there is a coast guard sailor comming by tomorrow to check out my 2 78 cb750K's for parts for his chopper project. . 2 750's , 1 cl175, 1 gt500, and 1 250 dirtbike... all parts bikes...lol
                    Shawn
                    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                    78 XS1100E Parts
                    www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Working...
                    X