Add-on cooling fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add-on cooling fan

Has anyone successfully installed a 12v cooling fan on the oil cooler? If so, can you share your work and part sources?
    It's getting hot down here...
    Thanks
    Carpe Diem!
    1980 XS850G
    1973 CT70

I would look in an ATV Salvage yard. Some quads like the Yamaha Big Bear have factory fans on the oil cooler. Might be a good place to start.
    Bill Woods
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

fans

I did add fans to my cooler and the source was free. I used computer fans that are 12 volts and measure about 3x3 inches. I put a pair of them behind the cooler so they don't block air flow and get less water on them in the rain. They have been through several wet rides now and 4-5000 miles and are still working fine. I wired em to a switch that I flip on when I am stuck in traffic or rolling slowly. The power source is off when the key is off cause the fans are so quiet that it would be easy to leave em on. I have no idea how much good they do, but it has to help! These fans should be pretty easy to come by and cheap, even if you have to buy em. Kind of hard to photograph, but I could try. If anyone wants photos, PM me and I will email them. I have never added photos to these posts, and don't feel like figuring it out tonight.
      Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

I decided to try this myself. I have a couple of 3" fans I can play with. They don't pull a lot of air but maybe enough so I don't heat up so much at a red light.

There is a 12v powersource that is switched and unused (possibly for running lights (blue wire). Just wondering how you mounted the fans?
        Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Yeah, the fans don't move too much air, but I figure it is equivalent to rolling a few mph and it has to remove more heat than sitting still would. I picked up a piece of about 2" aluminum angle and mounted over the top of the cooler so the angle hung down behind the cooler. Then I cut arches to match the fans and bolted the fans to the aluminum. All the box fans have mounting holes in each corner. I uses some rubber grommets in there to isolate the fans somewhat from vibration. Today I was at Northern Tool or whatever they are called, used to be Northern Hydrolics, and they have these fans for $3 each if anyone needs one......

Comment

Just wondering if you ever got the fans mounted. I will be doing some maint soon and could take some photos of my installation if it would help.

Comment

I actually got a couple of fans and started to try it. Then I got sidetracked with other projects. I hope to try it again soon and see how it works out.
              Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Working...
              X