Klr 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klr 650

This been my main ride for last 6 years after neglecting my XS1100 for some time. Going to be changing that this year.

Was non-running, sitting in a garage for years, picked it up for $1300. Cleaned carbs, flushed brakes, and new battery and rubber and it was good to ride.

Did the doohickey on it. Progressive Suspension front springs and rear shock. Paint. Crash guards and luggage racks. Offroad lights. Bunch of other farkles.

Very fun bike. Not very comfortable on long rides. And extremely uncomfortable two-up, but damn is it fun to be able to go almost anywhere with it.

1980 XS1100SG
    1998 KLR 650

I always thought the KLR was a pretty good long-distance mount, people use them from coast to coast and pole to pole.

Maybe the newer one has better protection from the elements and that's what makes a difference, yours looks like the first generation.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I've done two Iron Butts on the XS1100 and know for sure I would not be able to on the KLR the way it is. Maybe you can make some changes like a windshield, highway pegs, bigger front sprocket etc. to help with fatigue but that sort of defeats the purpose of an adventure bike in my opinion. This thing is vibrating your teeth (slight exaggeration, :P) at 75mph. I know guys have definitely ridden KLR's coast to coast and pole to pole but not so sure they were putting 12-16hrs a day on them and actually doing long distance riding so much as taking their time and having fun exploring.

There isn't any changes on Gen 2 that would help either... wind still going to get you, engine still going to be wound out on the highway. I can assure you, it's not a good long-distance mount... when I think of a long-distance mount, I'm thinking Goldwings or a big cruiser with a windshield, highway pegs, throttle locks, etc.
      Last edited by thebottle; 04-27-2020, 06:41 AM.
      1980 XS1100SG
      1998 KLR 650

Comment

Nice iron butt riding, I can totally see the difference between an iron butt and riding a few hundred miles a day. Didn't understand the context in which you're referencing.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Oh okay, see what you mean now too, .

KLR is a pretty great bike though, good at everything not great at anything. But very versatile... I've really enjoyed it. I've done a few legs of the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail, that is about 50/50 on and off roads. I'm always pretty sore after riding trails... has never been so hard for me to get on a bike the next day, but it's so fun... I'd like to get and see some of these:

https://ridebdr.com/

Would really like to do the Utah trail from that link. Thinking of doing the van thing in a couple years but want to take the bikes, the XS1100, KLR 650, and wife's NX250. Thinking I will do it then.
          1980 XS1100SG
          1998 KLR 650

Comment

Working...
          X