Yamaha Niken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Niken

So I just descovered the new Yamaha Niken and it's just wild!
    Im not one for trikes, but this one has me curious. Does it ride like a bike? Or is awkward to handle? I think it looks a little crazy, but if it stands on its own, it may be a good option for those with bad knees and the like who want to keep riding but dont want a polaris or harley conversion. Thoughts and opinions?

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sp...g/models/niken
    1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Originally posted by sethhope View Post
    Thoughts and opinions?
    Can't see that catching on. Too expensive to buy, too expensive to fix, too bloody stupid all round.

Comment

Can't see that catching on. Too expensive to buy, too expensive to fix, too bloody stupid all round.
      Look at the Piaggio, doing very well in the EU.
      Cycleworld just did an online article on the bike, and it shows it doing a wheelie.
      https://www.cycleworld.com/surprise-...MPID=ene053118
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

And what Piaggio would that be?
        They ain't doing that well in the UK as I can't recall seeing one. The EU? Maybe with trendy Parisians and Italians who know fook all.
        So Cycleworld did an article showing it doing a wheelie. And?

Comment

Oh I get it. Fell for that one. Very good.

Comment

These are not available through dealers. You call Yamaha and say you want one and they reserve one for you. They will all be delivered at the same time. Someone I know went with Yamaha to Austria and rode the thing together with a bunch of journalists. He wrote it does not compare to anything else available and you can easily punish sport riders in the twisties if you can ride a bike decently. Cornering clearance is limited not by the front end but by the footrest lying on the ground in corners. The damn thing can even wheely! Check youtube.. lots of movies from Austria ...
            With this thing Yamaha wants to prove again they can build something different, something nobody else tried before. Just because they can ...
            I want one !
            XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
            MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
            Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
            Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
            Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
            Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathh View Post
              These are not available through dealers. You call Yamaha and say you want one and they reserve one for you. They will all be delivered at the same time. Someone I know went with Yamaha to Austria and rode the thing together with a bunch of journalists. He wrote it does not compare to anything else available and you can easily punish sport riders in the twisties if you can ride a bike decently. Cornering clearance is limited not by the front end but by the footrest lying on the ground in corners. The damn thing can even wheely! Check youtube.. lots of movies from Austria ...
              With this thing Yamaha wants to prove again they can build something different, something nobody else tried before. Just because they can ...
              I want one !
              After watching a few reviews, i kinda agree with you! Really different, but overall pretty awesome!
              1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

I don’t understand the “fell for that one” in response to the wheelie? Stupid me?

Here is the Piaggio, a bit different, same general idea however been around for probably 10 years or more? http://www.piaggiousa.com/pscooters/mp3.cfm

Funny this thread shows up, I passed one (Piaggio M3) going the other way on my ride yesterday.

IMO, the Can Am Spyder is the ticket for guys that can’t ride two wheels confidently or comfortably anymore. Rode one when they first came out 10 or 11 years ago, they are an absolute hoot and with the triple cylinder engine (vs the Rotax Vtwin they used for many years) are probably even more so.
                Last edited by Bonz; 06-05-2018, 08:49 PM.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                X