Eythenol scum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eythenol scum

Left gas in my Xj 550 too long. Have dreaded ethanol scum everywhere. What will dissolve this stuff? Been using ultrasonic cleaner with Zep degreaser and Berrymans. Pilot jets are welded in now.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Carb Cleaner

I like Berryman's for said purpose.

How did the bike sit? I leave my bikes for 4-5 months during winter without draining the fuel bowls and have not had problems (yet).
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

webbcraft, at this point I suggest you remove all internal pieces of carbs as possible. Then, since I presume you have an ultrasonic cleaner, buy a jug of the REAL Pine-Sol, no generic. Put that, full strength in the ultra-sonic cleaner along with carbs and all the associated pieces in the ultra-sonic for a period of time. Remove and wash all pieces with hot water. This should be of help as several others here have done this with excellent results.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Bike was parked about 2 months. I kick myself for not taking it out and running it. Carbs were in a box when I got and have a ton of time getting it going. Was a strong runner. New paint and seat and hours polishing neglected chrome and aluminum. Was getting it ready for sale with 80 degree days here. It’s a fun bike but too small for me. Need to see if I can extract stuck pilot jets now then try the pine sol trick. It was a “free” bike, if there is such a thing.😂

Comment

Two Months- Wow!

Yikes! I'm shocked it could gum up in 2 months. I've awakened all my bikes this year, even though it's still snowing in Detroit. I didn't have any casualties.

Hopefully that Pine-sol will solve your woes.
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Here in Can'taffordya I've watched the gas turn colors in a tank within a month! You REALLY need to be aware of the crap they call gas now. Use the B12 Chemtool to clean the carbs. I have a plastic tank for tuning, so I would put strait B12 in it, hook it up to the carbs, try and start for about two 30 second bursts, then let it soak for two hours before trying again.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ok. Pinesol and ultrasonic did a good job. Stuck pilot jets came out with #1 screw extractor, 5/64 drill bit and some heat. Sweating bullets on that job. Now, new pilot jets, enricher boots, triple clean and reassemble. Then put carbs back, dial em in and put a for sale sign on it😅

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                Here in Can'taffordya I've watched the gas turn colors in a tank within a month! You REALLY need to be aware of the crap they call gas now. Use the B12 Chemtool to clean the carbs. I have a plastic tank for tuning, so I would put strait B12 in it, hook it up to the carbs, try and start for about two 30 second bursts, then let it soak for two hours before trying again.
                The carbs were so gummed up the slides would not move.

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150 View Post
                  Ok. Pinesol and ultrasonic did a good job. Stuck pilot jets came out with #1 screw extractor, 5/64 drill bit and some heat. Sweating bullets on that job. Now, new pilot jets, enricher boots, triple clean and reassemble. Then put carbs back, dial em in and put a for sale sign on it😅
                  Good to hear the Pinesol resolved your issue.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    Good to hear the Pinesol resolved your issue.
                    I'm not convinced the pine sol cleaned em out good enough. The scum the gas left is some tenacious stuff. I have some skin dissolving, old school berrymans I'm going to soak em in for a short time. Then blow em out with spray cleaner and air. Have to round up the pilot jets.

Comment

I'm sure you know this already, but don't let the throttle shaft seals soak in the Berrymans or they may leak afterwards.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        I'm sure you know this already, but don't let the throttle shaft seals soak in the Berrymans or they may leak afterwards.
                        Agree......those O-rings and others internally don't agree with a lot of cleaners, specially Berrymans.

Comment

Agree......those O-rings and others internally don't agree with a lot of cleaners, specially Berrymans.
                          Yamalube works great and won't hurt the carburetors. It's especially good with a heated ultrasonic cleaner.

GOOGLE SEARCH: ACC-CARBC-LE-NR
                          About 3,350 results (0.62 seconds)

BOATS.NET
                          Yamaha Carburetor Cleaner (32oz bottle)
                          Price:$10.35
                          List Price $12.99
                          You Save $2.64 (20%)

AMAZON.COM
                          Yamalube Carburetor Cleaner Dip 32 oz.
                          Price: $15.93 & FREE Shipping

-- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Interesting........learnt' sumtin' new today......wasn't a wasted day afterall.

Comment

Interesting........learnt' sumtin' new today......wasn't a wasted day afterall.
                              That was me when I got tired of playing with homebrews and hand tools with elbow grease and decided to at least try the stuff designed to do the job.

Pinesol is less expensive but I don't like the way it smells and makes everything else smell too.
                              -- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X