Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 SECA 650 - Taking all my time.... Back to XS11's SOON!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '82 SECA 650 - Taking all my time.... Back to XS11's SOON!

XS11 Friends,

It's been a very long time since I posted here and I certainly do miss my XS11 relationships. Wanted to say hello and give ya'll an update.....

I started a new job just over one year ago and it has been INCREDIBLY demanding. Money is good but not entirely sure the STRESS is worth the $$$.

In addition, I decided to re-live some of my younger days and am working hard on my new bike the '82 XJ650RJ SECA.
    • I had one of these before my relocation to Georgia and it is one of the very few bikes I wanted to own again.
    • These were only offered in the USA for the 1982 model year and are VERY sought after.
    • I found this one in Orlando and it needed a TON of work but was generally complete.

Unlike my XS11's (currently 4, plus a couple parts bikes), this will be a TRUE RESTORATION. No Harley parts, no real mods (other than SS brake lines for safety purposes), original color, factory decals, etc. etc.

Very Unfortunately, the parts for this machine are EXTREMELY hard to find, as a result of the one-year-only production in the U.S. However, the XJ650RJ was offered in Europe for several years and many of my parts are coming from England. Thankfully, Chacal over at XJBikes.com offers a very wide variety of well made reproduction parts without which a restoration of this machine would be totally impossible.

With the demands of the new job my time for play has been limited to the restoration of this machine. I wish I could share a photo but since the Photobucket ordeal I have no idea how to get them over here.

There is a thread at XJBikes that shows much of my progress with some photos....
    http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/thread....116394/page-5

https://youtu.be/Kh8nalvgsYE

Hopefully, the machine will be 100% and ready for the Vintage Yamaha Rally (VYR) in Stecoah, North Carolina (formerly known as XS Southeast). This year's event should be incredible with a few small changes including a bike show and a much wider variety of Vintage Yamaha Motorcycles in attendance. Jeff, Marty, Paul K., Mike A., Mike P., Brent H., Nancy and myself are meeting every other week to organize a STELLAR event this year.

I hope to see many of my XS11 friends at VYR-2018!!! And yes, I will be bringing a couple XS11's in addition to the SECA!!

Sincerely,
    Last edited by kboehringer; 03-11-2018, 10:04 AM.
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Hey Kurt! This one?

I'd like to add here that Chacal at http://xj4ever.com/ is a very generous supporter of our rally.(www.vintageyamaharally.com) He is also a strong supporter of the XS1100. He has a lot of parts for it.

Kurt's bike is looking awesome!

Thanks to XJBikes.com for hosting the photos.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Thanks Marty....

The bike looks a little more complete than that slightly older photo and it is running pretty good.... Had to split the cases to repair the starter clutch and the frame has been powder-coated while the motor was in a zillion pieces.....

Sure wish it had Mikuni carbs (like the XS11) rather than these Hitachi's. Very different than the BS34s.

KURT
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

I have two of their faster brother: 650 Seca Turbos. Junk bikes in my opinion.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Kurt, good to see you back and participating here again!
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I can picture that impeccable SECA in the NC curves already. It's really noteworthy.

I hope to have a chance to ride with you this year.

Thanks for dropping in to say 'hello'.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Kurt, Nice to know you at least have a little time! I know what you are saying about job stress! I was just relieved of mine three weeks ago so I get to look again.
              Ian, If you don't like them, send one out West! I put a LOT of miles on one of those when new, until a drunk driver found me.. No, they didn't handle that well, but once you knew the lag time for the turbo they were FUN!!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

In ‘83 Yamaha had a little kit available for the Seca Turbo to reduce the turbo lag.

Comment

The kit that my dealer installed was a "boost kit". 12psi at full boost, and 3rd gear 60 to 90mph on one wheel, in about 2 seconds! This was after my one day break-in ride.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG

Comment

Yamaha used blow-through carburetors right? Or was that Suzuki on their turbo? Honda and Kawasaki had fuel injection.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

You are correct! the carbs were a "blow through" design.
                      Stock was 6psi boost, the kit was 12psi. I don't remember how they handled the fuel, though. Been too many years now....
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Brought my XJ650 to the last meet I attended a few years ago. Its a special but it was a blast to ride on the dragon with that brand new set of E3s. Think you will enjoy it once you get it road worthy.
                        wingnut
                        81 SH (Daily Ride)
                        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The Dragon....

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
                          Brought my XJ650 to the last meet I attended a few years ago. Its a special but it was a blast to ride on the dragon with that brand new set of E3s. Think you will enjoy it once you get it road worthy.
                          Wingnut,
                          The SECA is a slightly different animal than my other bikes. I owned one back in the 90's and I'm looking forward to this one being completed. This was the very first bike offered (by any manufacturer) with this "European" styling.

It's my plan to make a run on the Dragon with it! Unfortunately, with so many bikes in my stable (Currently 9) it's difficult jumping from one to another as the; braking, acceleration, cornering, etc. is all sooooo different from one machine to another.

The Dragon is best when one is on a bike they are VERY comfortable and experienced with. Gotta know the bike AND THE DRIVERS limitations before going GONZO on The Dragon!

Kurt
                          Kurt Boehringer
                          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Very true but can you think of a more fun thing to do than build a old bike back to its former glory then spend the next 6 months learning to ride it well? There are better places to air out a 650 but the dragon is one of the best say on a Wednesday afternoon about 5 when you have the road to your self. I like the looks of the SECA and it will get thru the twistie path very well. Hope to see you with it up there.
                            wingnut
                            81 SH (Daily Ride)
                            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Quick Update.

Bike is running great..... About to move to my next project "Pensacola" 1979 XS11SF - Custom Build (too far gone for restoration).

I HOPE to have the XS11SF ready for VYR (Vintage Yamaha Rally) also.

Hopefully, I can figure out how to post a photo of the next one to undergo refurbish/awakening.

KURT

Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky