• 2018 Yamaha Niken

It gets interesting at 1:06

https://youtu.be/2CGYukjM4Vg?t=15
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
    It gets interesting at 1:06

https://youtu.be/2CGYukjM4Vg?t=15
    It looks like a Decepticon with an Imperial Stromtrooper....

Yamaha Europe says it's a fuel-injected '850 triple with chain drive.

I guess it's different from other 3-wheel clonemobiles because it might be able to lane share if you absolutely had to scare the skis out of everyone.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Chain drive seems a bit clunky amongst all that technology. Or it's smart enough to lube and adjust itself.
      1980 xs1100SG "Silent Killer"
      1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
      1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"
      1960 HD FLH Duo "Blue" (w/family in Sacramento)
      1986 Honda CMX 450 (51hp rat sleeper) SOLD

Comment

Looks hotter than the Piaggio...

Ken Talbot

Comment

Yeah..its hot..it looks like its hoot to ride..The Piaggio is a scooter the NIKEN is a motorcycle...
          I find it amazing that Yamaha is pushing their envelope...I am surprised they are going to production on this thing..I havent seen any prices yet..
          While it may not be my cup of tea. I find the new technology is pretty cool..
          I would love to take one for a ride on some twisty mtn roads..
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
            It looks like a Decepticon with an Imperial Stromtrooper....

Yamaha Europe says it's a fuel-injected '850 triple with chain drive.

I guess it's different from other 3-wheel clonemobiles because it might be able to lane share if you absolutely had to scare the skis out of everyone.
            I seen first hand how you Californians split lanes...zipping by at 75 mph or better..that in itself is scary enough...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I seen first hand how you Californians split lanes...zipping by at 75 mph or better..that in itself is scary enough...
              Notice 3Phase said "LANE SHARE" NOT"LANE SPLIT" ! There IS a difference according to California laws. Scott and I do not "zip by at 75 mph" when lane sharing, we are NOT organ donors waiting for our turn.
              I just read the article this morning about the bike, and think it MAY be something to keep me going as I get a little older and need just a bit more help. It also seems like the front end would not wash out as easily when you hit that patch of sand in the corner.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ah..Thanks for claryfing that Ray...I was ignorant to the differences as we just dont do either here...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ah..Thanks for claryfing that Ray...I was ignorant to the differences as we just dont do either here...
                  Lane sharing on that three-wheeler could be done, at least the dimensions look like it's physically possible but you'd have to get full cooperation from the other drivers to share the right of way and sometimes the answer is no.

It's covered under the Basic Speed Law.

CODE TEXT
                  VEHICLE CODE - VEH
                  DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
                  CHAPTER 7. Speed Laws [22348 - 22413] ( Chapter 7 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 1. Generally [22348 - 22366] ( Heading of Article 1 amended by Stats. 1959, Ch. 11. )

No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.
                  (Amended by Stats. 1963, Ch. 252.)

There is a maximum speed differential that is considered safe for any vehicle to pass another vehicle in traffic but it's been a long time since traffic school so I don't remember the number. That means you're not really supposed to go zipping by slow or stopped traffic at 70 in your car or truck even if the posted limit is 70, not just when you're lane sharing on your bike.

They tried to pass a law here that would impose a 15 MPH speed differential for motorcycles but it never happened.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

The lane splitting i saw was in moving traffic at posted speeds oxr better..thes guys were squids..Theres alot of that going on out there..People doing what they want without regards to their own safety or that of others or abiding by the laws...
                    You try lane sharing and splitting here and you're likely to get shot or run off the road by some stupid redneck..
                    Last edited by madmax-im; 10-30-2017, 05:47 AM.
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The lane splitting i saw was in moving traffic at posted speeds oxr better..thes guys were squids..Theres alot of that going on out there..People doing what they want without regards to their own safety or that of others or abiding by the laws...
                      You try lane sharing and splitting here and you're likely to get shot or run off the road by some stupid redneck..
                      That new Yamaha looks like it could be tons of fun, I might have to get a Niken if they do sell 'em here in the US of A. It looks a lot better than a Piaggio scooter, a trike, a Spyder or a Slingshot.

Break

Squids are squids but why compare and contrast reckless, possibly felonious, driving to lawful driving? It doesn't really work for me. Hopefully, the Highway Patrol will pick up the organ donors before they hit anyone else or cause an accident trying to avoid them. An ambulance/Medivac flight or a CalTrans street sweeper picks up the failed squids that slip through the CHP's net and a good steam cleaner will get most of them out of wheels and undercarriages.

I'm well aware that 49 out of 50 States hate motorcycles and would ban them and the riders from their roads entirely if they could but it's not just homicidal rednecks in other States that try to get away with murder or attempted murder.

Some clownboy here in town lost his freakin' mind last week when I filtered up next to him at a red light on my XJ11. When the light turned green, he stomped on the gas and tried to run me into a Suburban that was just completing a late right turn through the light into the lane. The Perp jumped straight into an attempted vehicular assault and murder charge for a completely legal activity, then tried to get in-your-face-froggy again at the next stoplight before he felt he'd done his civic duty and scurried away. Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave.

We also recently passed a law that makes intentional failure to yield to an overtaking vehicle into attempted murder. Speeding up or maneuvering to cut off some poor barsteward instead of allowing them to merge is no longer an amusing pastime and a minor traffic infraction, it's a straight up felony.

Darn California liberal laws.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

Glad I live in that one state out of 50 that values the motorcyclist. There are signs posted far and wide to be aware of 2 wheeled vehicles and literacy here is on the rise so I feel very safe lol. Sounds like you big city boys need to haul your scooters out to a safe riding environment or at least retain a lawyer before you can twist the wick.
                        1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
                        1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"

Comment

Originally posted by Barbarosa View Post
                          Glad I live in that one state out of 50 that values the motorcyclist. There are signs posted far and wide to be aware of 2 wheeled vehicles and literacy here is on the rise so I feel very safe lol. Sounds like you big city boys need to haul your scooters out to a safe riding environment or at least retain a lawyer before you can twist the wick.
                          Heh, lawyers are a universal scourge. Bleh.

The anti-homicidal-maniac laws apply Statewide in California, not just in the city. We've had motorcycle signs all over the place for years along with driver awareness programs. In Arkansas and the other 48 anti-motorcycle States, y'all have to suck it up and sit in traffic, we don't and we won't.

And thinking about Arkansas: on my way home from Kentucky this year, a kindly gentleman named Charlie Davis took a "Before" picture of me and my XJ11 all dressed up for rain near Ft. Smith when I was getting ready to leave Mc Donald's and get back on the interstate.

Video on Onedrive with the thumbnail on Photobucket

Charlie Davis from Arkansas
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

I get what those laws are about. A motorcycle rider that passes stalled traffic needs to be protected from someone knowingly opening a car door to wipe them out. That's just an ornery thing to do. The majority of close scrapes in my 52 years of street riding have been from the ability to become invisible. Thought it was a superpower at first but promptly realized it was not to my advantage. Glad I don't have to watch out for drivers trying to crash me on purpose around these parts. But then again I can't imagine putting myself up against a car on purpose, especially one that wants to get there ahead of me.
                            1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
                            1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              That new Yamaha looks like it could be tons of fun, I might have to get a Niken if they do sell 'em here in the US of A. It looks a lot better than a Piaggio scooter, a trike, a Spyder or a Slingshot.

Break

Squids are squids but why compare and contrast reckless, possibly felonious, driving to lawful driving? It doesn't really work for me. Hopefully, the Highway Patrol will pick up the organ donors before they hit anyone else or cause an accident trying to avoid them. An ambulance/Medivac flight or a CalTrans street sweeper picks up the failed squids that slip through the CHP's net and a good steam cleaner will get most of them out of wheels and undercarriages.

I'm well aware that 49 out of 50 States hate motorcycles and would ban them and the riders from their roads entirely if they could but it's not just homicidal rednecks in other States that try to get away with murder or attempted murder.

Some clownboy here in town lost his freakin' mind last week when I filtered up next to him at a red light on my XJ11. When the light turned green, he stomped on the gas and tried to run me into a Suburban that was just completing a late right turn through the light into the lane. The Perp jumped straight into an attempted vehicular assault and murder charge for a completely legal activity, then tried to get in-your-face-froggy again at the next stoplight before he felt he'd done his civic duty and scurried away. Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave.

We also recently passed a law that makes intentional failure to yield to an overtaking vehicle into attempted murder. Speeding up or maneuvering to cut off some poor barsteward instead of allowing them to merge is no longer an amusing pastime and a minor traffic infraction, it's a straight up felony.

Darn California liberal laws.
                              Because the laws allow lane sharing and splitting so while it is legal there are plenty of people who are taking advantage of the situation..Making it legal only gives further potential for abuse ..which it has...
                              And protective laws or not..ignorance even in your state can get you killed..as you so well illustrated in your own experience...laws wont protect you when the azzhat is trying to kill you...
                              Last edited by madmax-im; 10-30-2017, 04:53 PM.
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X