Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got BMW

Anyone on here have a BMW?
    I have a 78 R100rs that over the years has been converted to more of a RT type bike, Luftmeister fairing, RT bars and Corbin seat.
    81 XS11

I had an R1200RT until last November. I owned it for 6 years, 2007 model with about 78K on it IIRC when totaled. I bought it three years old with 8K on it. My problem is with the later bikes like I had, BMW made some poor engineering choices and the owners paid for that. They also would NOT do any recall unless pushed by the US Government, including fixing a fuel pump leak do to poor design practices.
    I do have a good friend with an 1100 flying brick, RT style. He loves the bike, and has had very little to do on it but tires and ride. So I think the OLDER BMW seem to be a little better than some of the newer models, depending on the year.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

In my research of BMWs..I have found that the mid to late 1990s K1000 and K1100s LTs and RTs... aka...Flying Bricks are the most durable goods and reliable bikes they ever made..by the time you get to the next generation of K bikes..the quality and reliability just wasnt there ...and IMO hasn't been ever since then...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

BMW has actually gained a reputation for being one of the most unreliable bikes currently made. Mine is a 78 and just keeps on running, Although replacement parts are stupidly expensive.
        81 XS11

Comment

My riding buddie's step-dad has a 1980s K100 that he has owned since the 1980s. He has mad riding skills and his bike looks cool. He does all of his own maintenance. He accompanied us on a 3-day camping tour last year on his K100.
          82 XJ1100 - sold
          96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
          2000 ZRX1100 - sold
          2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

BMW's

I have a R1200 LT, a R1200 C and a R1200 GS. The GS is my favorite of the bunch. With a 37" inseam, it's the perfect seat height for me. The C is a nice bike, just needs a real seat! The LT is agile and quiet, but if there is rain in the forecast, I'd rather ride the Ultra Classic. I agree parts are expensive, but usually easier to find than some of the old rice burner parts.

Comment

Working...
            X