Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove rear brake caliper on 79 XS 1100 Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove rear brake caliper on 79 XS 1100 Special?

Simple question and I did a search, how can I remove the rear brake caliper off my 1979 Yamaha XS 1100 Special?

Does the rear wheel axle need to come off?

My front and rear brakes are sticking I was trying to remove and put a c-clamp on it and trying to fix it the poor mans way.

I removed the 1 bolt and the nut on the stud on rear caliper, and I can't see anyway to pull the caliper off.

Anyone perform this before?

Thanks.
    79 SF

There is a screw with a shank that goes through the pads that must be removed from the wheel side of the caliper. A phillips head. Look through the wheel from the opposite side and you will see it.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

BTW....this section is for discussing bikes other than 11s
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks Greg, I am not sure how I posted it on other bikes, I thought I did it on the XS discussion forums. Should I re-post it?

BTW - I did see that screw earlier before I posted this thread, but it looked like a flat head screw to me, which I tried to turn counter clockwise and it would not budge, but then again, I had no idea what I was turning. I will try and post an image of it and thanks for replying.
        79 SF

Comment

Yeah, I think it may have a slot too. At any rate, the caliper will not come off without removing it.
          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

So here is the pic - is it a screw that actually turns out or is it a spring that goes through the brake pads, again thanks for replying.

[IMG][/IMG]
            79 SF

Comment

Here's the right side.

79 SF

Comment

Photobucket doesn't work anymore but I know what you're talking about.

It's a screw and it needs to come completely out.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Oh wow, that sucks, it worked for a little while, the photo pics, I will try to remove that screw tomorrow and report back.

Thanks Greg.
                  79 SF

Comment

Hello Greg, I got the rear caliper off , it was real easy on day 2 (day 1 rain delay, tarp'ed bike in driveway for more room) with a large flat headed screw driver, the rear caliper has one slotted threaded screw that screws through the brake pads and into the caliper from the back side of rear caliper. Was able to c-clamp rear caliber piston and watched the rear master cylinder fluid rise when compressing it in with c-clamp. The front brake calipers are spongy at brake lever. I have to pump handle and then calipers stick, but the Pistons hardly rise, I'd like to rebuild the two fronts and the one in the rear, though the rear works great now.
                    79 SF

Comment

BTW, if you need to lube the caliper slider, don't use grease. Grease will lock it up for sure. Use a silicon grease like electrical dielectric grease of all else fail, RCBS cartridge case resizing lube...

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Thanks Geezer, it didn't occur to me then, but I should have cranked down on the brake lever at handle bar in an effort to extend the pistons on the dual front brake calipers on my XS 1100 Special, I assumed the other side was the one giving me trouble and reinstalled the right front caliper only to find the left side at a normal height. I will have to save it for another day. Rear Brake works great now. As you know, these bikes are heavy and with a sticky brake, oh man. My Harley (2 of them) are so easy to push.

Also I am going to try and put up some pictures so others like me may learn, let me know if you can view them from your browser. I can view them from mine, but maybe its because I have a Photo-bucket account?

Again I appreciate your reply.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                        79 SF

Comment

79 SF

Comment

Working...
                          X