Yamaha factory demo day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha factory demo day

I recently spent a couple of hours at a Yamaha dealer demo day.

Below is what I rode and what I thought. Keep in mind that I spend most of my time on a 2003 FJR1300. Its a rocket ship above 3000 RPM.

FJ09
    Unimpressed with low end torque. It felt like it was gutless until you were above 5000 RPMs. The ride was ok and handling was ok.

FZ10
    Same a FJ09. Unimpressed with low end torque. Did not seem to be any fun below 5000 RPM.

XSR900
    This bike was fun. It was what I expected and had low en torque. There was a significant buzz in the handlebars and foot pegs.

Riding these bikes let me know that a new Yammi is probably not in my future.
    82 XJ1100 - sold
    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

I recently rode a couple of FZ09's. I thought they were rockets. Of course. I'm trying to navigate an unfamiliar motorcycle on very crooked mountain roads. They certainly make my XS11 feel like an old truck. The FZ09 is comfortable even for my 76" height. Twist the throttle and it takes off like a shot. Grab the brake and it stops right now.

Maybe it's not my cuppa tea either, but it sure seems to do what it's designed to do. I'm getting more and more believing an 883 Sportster is fast enough.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
      I recently spent a couple of hours at a Yamaha dealer demo day.

Below is what I rode and what I thought. Keep in mind that I spend most of my time on a 2003 FJR1300. Its a rocket ship above 3000 RPM.

FJ09
      Unimpressed with low end torque. It felt like it was gutless until you were above 5000 RPMs. The ride was ok and handling was ok.

FZ10
      Same a FJ09. Unimpressed with low end torque. Did not seem to be any fun below 5000 RPM.

XSR900
      This bike was fun. It was what I expected and had low en torque. There was a significant buzz in the handlebars and foot pegs.

Riding these bikes let me know that a new Yammi is probably not in my future.

FJ09 and XSR900 have the exact same engine, and gearing, regardless of bike weight there should not be that much felt difference based on the numbers. Hmmm...

Comparing to an FJR1300 (your other bike, yes?) definitely a difference in torque but compared to each other, not so much.

FZ10 is a 140 hp/78 ft/lbs with around 55 ft/lbs at 3000 rpm in a bike that weighs 140 lbs less than an XS1100 or 200 lbs less than an FJR1300.
      Having just rode Bigfoot's (Harry) FJR at the Colorado rally, it is strong however anything with 200 pounds less weight, shorter gearing and 55 foot pounds of torque at 3000 RPM shouldn't pale by comparison when talking low end torque. Were the engine computer's set in sport mode and not one of the softer modes?

Yes, just very interesting how those comparisons stack up. Thanks for sharing the info, just goes to show you have to ride the bikes and the numbers don't always tell the story.
      Last edited by Bonz; 07-22-2017, 12:58 PM.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

What the WHAT?????

You rode the FZ-10 and saw it as no different than the FJ-09? They're not even the same bike! And, if u meant the FZ-09, even that compared to the FZ-10 is a different animal.

The FZ-10 has a detuned R1 crossplane engine that has more torque than the R1. It wants to rip wheelies all day! That bike was crazy fast! The FJR was very linnear. Absolutely no surprises. Rode on rails. I'm surprised by your analysis.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The interesting thing to note was that the FJR and the FZ-10/R1 modes are opposite of each other I believe (I might be wrong, it might be the FZ-10 and the R1). The "Standard" mode is the most detuned, and "B" is fastest, and "A" is in the middle.

I rode the whole line, it was fun! Only one absent was the V-Max. No passengers allowed on R1 & FZ-10.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

If we could just get them to bring over the XJR1300 from Europe. I would get rid of all 3 of my bikes then.
            Gene (Florida)
            1980 XS1100SG
            Accel Coils
            4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

On the first two bikes, I pressed the MODE button repeatedly and goosed the throttle at stop signs.

By the time I got to the XSR900, I asked for some instruction to see the tiny little mode LCD before we departed the parking lot. I set the XSR to STANDARD and left it there. The XSR was the only one of the three that lifted the front wheel without any help from the clutch.

Maybe the other two bikes were in RAIN mode all the time. Don't know.

None of them felt like something I would want to ride all day long.
              82 XJ1100 - sold
              96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
              2000 ZRX1100 - sold
              2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

"Standard" mode is basically the bike on training wheels.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

That XJR would be be like a slightly more powerful XS11 compared to a FZ-10. Absolutely not even in the same class.

That FZ-10 is a fire-breathin' dragon!!
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

If your just looking at weight and HP....Your right. I have a Hayabusa with a Turbo for that.

Maybe I just like the old school look.

I would love to have an upgraded brake system, fuel injection, 5.5 gallon tank, chain drive, large back tire, and a nice header option.
                    Gene (Florida)
                    1980 XS1100SG
                    Accel Coils
                    4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Yeah, the XJR is a big old air-cooled lump that while weighing a decent amount less than the XS1100, barely puts a 100 horsepower to the rear wheel but has 80 foot pounds of torque max with mucho torque down low right off the bottom.

Every road test or review I have read about the FZ09, FZ10 and even smaller FZ07, say they are wheelie machines in the lower gears without a problem and then some.

Yamaha has hit a good combination with those three bikes. I see oodles of the FZ07, FZ09 and FJ09 running around out here in Colorado.

Truthfully if we want a bike that approximates the XS1100, the Honda CB 1100 fills that bill in spades. My wife's uncle has one and he has ridden my SG a good bit as well. He says the Honda is just a more refined and better handling, much more fuel efficient and overall modern version of the XS. However the Honda does not beat the XS1100 in the quarter mile by any road test I have read.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                      X