1983 V65 Magna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 V65 Magna

Hello friends. Been a few years since I had to sell my beloved 79 special. But I just picked up a V65 today.

Its in pretty good shape, no drop marks, no rust, starts and runs fine no backfire or hesitation, no tears in seat. 29k miles

I feel like something is wrong, its not making enough power. It feels the same (acceleration and speed wise) as both my 79 specials. I hadnt rode in awhile so of course I didnt notice it at first, but after a couple hours of getting use to it, I think somethings off.

Has anyone here owned both bikes and rode both of them hard? On paper, the V65 has more HP and weighs less, enough so that I should be able to feel the difference, but I dont.

Either this is all in my head, or theres an issue with my bike. It doesnt stutter, backfire or have any black/white smoke, and I verified it has the correct carbs for the model year (vd70a). My specials werent loud bikes at idle, but they screamed at WOT. This magna sounds dull and quieter at WOT, like a strong moped lol. Maybe I have a clogged exhaust, or dirty air filter, or??? Im going to do a full tune up and adjustment, what other things should I look at that would make the bike slower but not give off any typical warning signs that something is wrong, except of course the bike feeling a bit slower than it should?

Both bikes

I have 2 79 Specials and a 85 v65 Magna. I am not sure the Magna is any lighter, but it is a damn site faster. I have been through the carbs in the magna and that is probably what you need to do. Riding differences are very distinct. The magna puts the bars and gauges up high and center and the bike rides a very tight line with no flex at all. The suspension is taut and unforgiving. The XS is way more comfortable on bumpy roads. The Magna with overdrive, handles 80 mph freeway with no huffing or puffing and a lower RPM than the Specials. The XS specials look and feel like motorcycles. The Magna is like some semi ugly , very advanced for its time , chiseled out of rock, 2 wheeled locomotive. Care must be taken when carving turns with the Magna, it has a tendency to take the direct line in a turn as opposed to the slight understeer of the XS. You will grow to like the Magna and be fond of the Yamahas.
    79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
    85 Honda v65 Magna
    70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
    02 Road King (retirement gift)
    First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Agree

I agree with vedger

I have two XS11s and a V65. I rode the V65 a few miles before I took it apart to go though it. It is very noticeably quicker than the XS11. Also, the V65 seems to have power at all RPM, more so than the XS11.

The posture of the V65 was quite awkward at first- feet forward and arms up high like a chopper. I hope I get used to it when I get mine back on the road.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by adam79 View Post
        Hello friends. Been a few years since I had to sell my beloved 79 special. But I just picked up a V65 today.

Its in pretty good shape, no drop marks, no rust, starts and runs fine no backfire or hesitation, no tears in seat. 29k miles

I feel like something is wrong, its not making enough power. It feels the same (acceleration and speed wise) as both my 79 specials. I hadnt rode in awhile so of course I didnt notice it at first, but after a couple hours of getting use to it, I think somethings off.

Has anyone here owned both bikes and rode both of them hard? On paper, the V65 has more HP and weighs less, enough so that I should be able to feel the difference, but I dont.

Either this is all in my head, or theres an issue with my bike. It doesnt stutter, backfire or have any black/white smoke, and I verified it has the correct carbs for the model year (vd70a). My specials werent loud bikes at idle, but they screamed at WOT. This magna sounds dull and quieter at WOT, like a strong moped lol. Maybe I have a clogged exhaust, or dirty air filter, or??? Im going to do a full tune up and adjustment, what other things should I look at that would make the bike slower but not give off any typical warning signs that something is wrong, except of course the bike feeling a bit slower than it should?
        Haven't owned one, but first thing needed to be checked is the valve adjustment. No shim under, valves adjust just like automotive 'old school'....adjusting screw with locking nut. If valvetrain is exceptionally quiet, that would be my first suspition, as I have rode one recently that had the same symptons.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Well, it grew on me, and I think I have the issues narrowed down. I thought the xs11 Special was uncomfortable.. but this thing is very awkward. I will need to change the handle bars at least and the grips, the handle bar has zero curve, its just like a bmx bicycle, and the grips are super thick. I think it's an 83 only type bar/grip setup. Im 6'2" and I cant ride for more than 30min with out getting sore. That's not a huge deal though, I can change bars/grips.

A normal bike that would've driven me away outright, but this thing is freakin fast between 7-10k rpm. I've been lifting the front tire easy at 6k rpm from stop, and can goose it in 1st and lift tire.

Now, the reason I know its fast now is because I took apart and cleaned the master cylinder and slave cylinder, then bled them. After that, it felt faster, but I can now notice definitely that its either slipping or not getting fuel at high rpms. at least thats my most educated guess. If you watch rpms, and hammer it, it carries kinda smooth all the way to about 6k or 7k, then the power just cuts out and the gauge doesnt climb smoothly.. it goes quick then slow then quick then pause then forwards (all within a second or 2, and it carries like this until past 10k).

So, I've got my suspicions.

Symptoms:

RPM flutter and loss of power up top.

slight smell of clutch, nothing major though.

backfire anytime its in gear and i let off the throttle. Again, not horrid, but its guaranteed.

clutch bar on handle bar is very firm.

I can hear a tapping noise with my stethoscope inside one of the valve covers

The exhaust buzzes on the left side after warm, between 2500 and 6000 rpm, confirmed with stethoscope

Suspicions:

Possibly my hydraulic clutch system needs more than a cleaning, it needs a rebuild kit. It may not be pushing the clutch hard enough and causing it to slip under heavy load/high rpm

Possibly glazed or bad clutches, and also bad clutch spring

Possibly fuel filter and/or air filter

Possibly ignition control boxes failing

valves need adjusting

carbs need rebuild

What do you guys think? Im going to put the easy stuff first, filters. Then rebuild the master/slave cylinders. Im hoping its just faulty seal in one of the cylinders or air trapped that's causing clutch slippage. As for the backfire, The carbs probably need rebuilding. From what I've read the VD70a carbs are viewed as more complicated than the mikuni carbs on my xs11. Ive rebuilt my mikuni's before, and many here have too, but on the V4 forums it looks like many of those guys suggest rebuild service from a member called Billy C.

Comment

If you decide to DYI the carbs

You have many good ideas about what might cause your problem.

FYI. I am preparing to start cleaning my V65 carbs in about 1-2 weeks from now. I think you may find this link helpful:

http://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5459

Erratic at high RPMs seems like clutch slipping or plugged main jets in the carbs. The main jets would be the biggest orifice and least likely to be plugged?

It's good you went through the clutch master and slave- mine were unbelievably gunked up.

Another idea about your problem is whether or not the coils are getting enough juice at higher RPM. Connectors are clean?

Just thinking aloud...
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
            X