FJR1300a "new-to-me"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FJR1300a "new-to-me"

Didn't want to step on Kurt's thread so I started my own!

I just wedged into my garage a 2011 FJR1300a (~25k miles)
    The current technology makes this thing buttery smooth.
    It has all the stuff I wish my g had (hard bags, quiet exhaust, ABS, adjustable windscreen etc) Not to mention the fuel injected horsepower!
    Damn near did a "stoppie" with the first grab of the front brake.
    The grandson of my XS11g

It was a craigslist deal and a wonderful transaction with a new found friend.
    He insisted we do a test drive - he rode his burgman and I the FJR.
    We left San Francisco, down the freeway, west over the mountains to highway 1 to the coast, had lunch in half moon bay then back to SF.
    A 100 mile test drive!

My XS11 keeps her spot in the garage and will stay local. The FJR will see the touring miles.

- Not pictured is the factory trunk
    1980 XS1100 Standard (G)
    Original Owner
    Stock plus:
    K&N air filter, Supertrapp 4x1, Techna-fit SS brake lines, TC Fuse Block, TKAT Fork Brace
    ...dirt and grime from several states.
    -------------------
    2011 FJR1300
    1978 SR500

Wow - very nice. Seems a lot of XS'ers are picking these FJR's up!

Here's to many happy miles.
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Yeah, there has been a good run of them being bought by folks. I would seriously look at the C14. I think they're a more roomy riding position based on having ridden them both at a dealer over the years, however the C14 is supposedly more top-heavy. I did not notice the top-heavy however I am a taller guy with plenty of legs to flat foot and then some. I would suppose with aftermarket accessories either riding position could be made to fit about any size person.

I do like the extra .8 of a gallon the FJR carries. I think any bike that has "touring" or "tourer" in its name should carry 6.5 to 7 gallons. I had an ST 1300 for a year and 7.7 gallons was a blessing for staying in the saddle on long stretches when I wanted. That bike was short on personality, per se, however it was a good working machine.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
        Yeah, there has been a good run of them being bought by folks. I would seriously look at the C14. I think they're a more roomy riding position based on having ridden them both at a dealer over the years, however the C14 is supposedly more top-heavy. I did not notice the top-heavy however I am a taller guy with plenty of legs to flat foot and then some. I would suppose with aftermarket accessories either riding position could be made to fit about any size person.

I do like the extra .8 of a gallon the FJR carries. I think any bike that has "touring" or "tourer" in its name should carry 6.5 to 7 gallons. I had an ST 1300 for a year and 7.7 gallons was a blessing for staying in the saddle on long stretches when I wanted. That bike was short on personality, per se, however it was a good working machine.
        Bonz,
        IIRC, that was another difference between the two bikes.
        The FJR1300 has a bit more fuel capacity, but gets around 10 mpg less than the C14... so it actually has less range.
        The C14 has 6.1 gal capacity, but gets 48-50 mpg...almost 300 miles on a tank.

Ekim,
        Congrats on the FJR!
        Welcome to the expanding sport touring club!
        Looks nice!
        Bob
        Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 04-09-2017, 06:24 AM.
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

My bad on the tank capacity. I looked up on the Kawasaki website and it said 5.8 gallons for the 2017 C 14. Maybe the earlier ones had a bit more?

I checked fuelly.com, looks like the C14 as reported by owners gets a few more miles per gallon which is pretty cool for the extra size and performance that engine does have.

In my opinion guys that ride like we do tend to take care of and maintain their equipment in the grand scheme of things and know how to be efficient with milking the most out of every gallon.

With the SG, 39-40 mpg is the norm since the ACCT mod. It was 37-39 mpg with the stock tensioner even when newly adjusted.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Edit: D'oh! That's a really clean looking FJR! E-shift or minimal options?

The cam chain messed up the gas mileage? I kept mine adjusted a lot more often than the fine manual said so I never thought to check mileage but you're right, it would get all laggy and start to dog out and that would do it.
            Last edited by 3Phase; 04-09-2017, 08:24 AM.
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

Nice machine Mike! Now we need to do another day ride, if you don't mind being next to a C14 of the same year.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I am getting just over 40 mpg around town. Not sure what i could get if i tried to conserve, or long highway miles. I hit reserve right at 200 miles with 1.6 gallons left. So my range if I chose to push it that far is around 265 miles per tank. Plenty far enough for me to want to get off the bike for a few min. The FJR is just fricking fantastic so far. Such a joy to ride and so damn quick. Congrats Ekim
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

40 mpg around town is dang good, IMO. My 80 SG only does 40 mpg on the best day on the open road.

The response with Fuel Injections is so instantaneous, and manufactures have really smoothed it out so it feels much more like a carburetor than an on/off switch. My 2003 V Strom 1000 model was really glitchy. I added a fuel controller to it and it helped a lot. My 2004 Honda ST1300 was a different beast and was dialed in very smooth from the factory.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Bonz,
                    I hadn't heard that Kawi changed anything with the tanks, but my '11 holds 6.1 gal.

Maybe they stop filling the tank when it gets to the bottom of the metal insert to arrive at 5.8 gal. Mine has a warning tag on the tank that says filling into that insert can cause evaporative issues... but never had a problem...

My last trip back from Canyon City averaged around 48. One trip out to Zion and back I consitantly got 50. That was the trip with Brent on his red Harley.
                    Every stop, he averaged 1 mpg better with that old carb'd twin with 51.

Harry,
                    Is your '08 carbed? You mentioned "hitting reserve"...
                    I thought an '08 was injected...
                    Sounds like both bikes have similar range.
                    I hear ya about trying to hang in the saddle that long, though!
                    I'm sure you and Greg will agree that coming back from Canyon City last year, it was so dang hot I couldn't last more than 100 miles... just to get a bottle of water and take some gear off! Yikes...
                    Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

On my injected ST1300 when the low fuel warning came on, that was considered reserve. Harry is new to the fuel injected phenomenon so he still calls it reserve when his fuel warning comes on. :-)

With the fuel pressure used in fuel injection, a petcock would be a serious weak link in my opinion.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                        Bonz,
                        I hadn't heard that Kawi changed anything with the tanks, but my '11 holds 6.1 gal.

Maybe they stop filling the tank when it gets to the bottom of the metal insert to arrive at 5.8 gal. Mine has a warning tag on the tank that says filling into that insert can cause evaporative issues... but never had a problem...

My last trip back from Canyon City averaged around 48. One trip out to Zion and back I consitantly got 50. That was the trip with Brent on his red Harley.
                        Every stop, he averaged 1 mpg better with that old carb'd twin with 51.

Harry,
                        Is your '08 carbed? You mentioned "hitting reserve"...
                        I thought an '08 was injected...
                        Sounds like both bikes have similar range.
                        I hear ya about trying to hang in the saddle that long, though!
                        I'm sure you and Greg will agree that coming back from Canyon City last year, it was so dang hot I couldn't last more than 100 miles... just to get a bottle of water and take some gear off! Yikes...
                        Bob, you are correct, it is fuel injected. The fuel gauge hits empty after 5 gallons. At that point the odometer changes and starts counting up. Not sure why they thought that would be more helpful than telling you how much fuel you have left. But, i know it is a 6.6 gallon tank. So when it hits E have a "reserve" of 1.6 gallons.
                        Harry

'79 Standard
                        '82 XJ1100
                        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

That sounds similar to the C14.
                          Kawi thought it was a great idea for the display to change when the fuel guage hits the last bar, and it begins to toggle back and forth between "low fuel" and a pic of a gas pump. When this happens, you lose all other screen function...

Fortunately, a fellow C14 owner and forum member BDF invented a bypass electrical harness that stops that and alows you to still see miles to empty and all the other data. I bought one, and it's way better.

I'd far rather see miles to empty than a stupid low fuel warning only.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                            That sounds similar to the C14.
                            Kawi thought it was a great idea for the display to change when the fuel guage hits the last bar, and it begins to toggle back and forth between "low fuel" and a pic of a gas pump. When this happens, you lose all other screen function...

Fortunately, a fellow C14 owner and forum member BDF invented a bypass electrical harness that stops that and alows you to still see miles to empty and all the other data. I bought one, and it's way better.

I'd far rather see miles to empty than a stupid low fuel warning only.
                            Yup, this just stays on empty and starts showing you miles you have gone PAST empty. I guess so you can have a contest to see who has gone the furthest past E. Miles to truly empty would have been a much better piece of information to have.
                            Harry

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Another Grandson of the XS11!

Originally posted by ekim View Post
                              Didn't want to step on Kurt's thread so I started my own! I just wedged into my garage a 2011 FJR1300a (~25k miles)
                              Don't worry about stepping on my toes.... Glad to see another enthusiast on a great ride. I took mine for a ride last weekend and then came home and drove my Green XS11 around the town. It's not hard to find the room for one of these.

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                              Wow - very nice. Seems a lot of XS'ers are picking these FJR's up!
                              I'd love to hear the estimate of owners of BOTH FJRs and XS11s. I bet there are quite a few.

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                              Yeah, there has been a good run of them being bought by folks.
                              If your love the XS11/XJ1100 your are probably a in-line 3 or 4 cylinder guy. The only real choice to maintain a happy Yamaha family is the FJR. I'm personally much too old for the R1, R6, R3. The FZ07 and FZ09 look pretty cool and my son may be getting one from mom & dad for college graduation in July! Otherwise it's a "pretend a Harley" V-Twin.

KURT
                              Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                              1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                              1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                              1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                              1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                              1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                              1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max