No announcement yet.

Rough Day Working on the Daytona . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Day Working on the Daytona . . .

Had it all planned-out! Trailered the bike down to work, and had today and tomorrow broke-down into what I wanted to do. Everything mechanical today, including: brake pad change, chain and sprockets, oil change, coolant flush/fill, and apply rim tape.

Well, after I cut the chain off and grabbed the new JT 45T sprocket, it became apparent that Bike bandit sent me the wrong one. Must have been one for a DSSA, despite being for my "CE". Called 'em up, and they said they'd express ship me the right one. No big deal, mistakes happen. I was mad at myself, as I read someone mention that you had to pick a certain model, as odds are u'd get a DSSA sprocket.

Moving onto the brakes . . . Get the caliper swung-out, open-up new package of EBC HH pads, and they're the wrong pads. Bike Bandit again! It's apparent that their database is not correct, so I won't be using them anymore. The fronts were correct.

Why do I smell gas? Look around, damn fuel tank is leaking from the overflow. Makes sense, got the tank cocked, and it's full. Wait, what's that? The CPC metal fitting on the bottom is leaking like a faucet. Can't tell if it's from the threads or front of the fitting. Ughhh!! Order two, as I got those in a bag from the P.O. They looked used, so maybe there was a reason they were not on the bike . . .

Getting the front end put back together, can't get the damn axle to slide into the other side without hitting the shoulder of the axle bolt. Forks are obviously not straight. I use the forklift to lift the front end up to take weight off it. Works like a charm, and the axle goes in. Weird the axle comes out the other side so far. Wait, the rotor is touching the forks . . . Read the manual twice . . . Spacer? Spacer?? SPACER??? Where is the freaking spacer??? I've been riding a bike for the past year with no freaking spacer on the bike!!! Made me so damn mad! Found a axle & spacer for $15 on Ebay from some dude in New York. Ughh!!

So, tomorrow is all electrical stuff, and oil change. Coolant flush/fill will have to wait till next weekend. I guess I'll be working on this bike all throughout the week, as the parts arrive.

I have patience, and that's important when it comes to doing things right. No short-cuts.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Oh, man, how did the front wheel stay in place with no spacer? Was it just aligned straight and even in the forks, then held with ... what?
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      Oh, man, how did the front wheel stay in place with no spacer? Was it just aligned straight and even in the forks, then held with ... what?
      Must have just been aligned straight. Weird! But, SCARY!
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Caliper

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        Must have just been aligned straight. Weird! But, SCARY!
        Very scary !
        Could the caliper and brake pads have held it in position ? ? ?
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
          Very scary !
          Could the caliper and brake pads have held it in position ? ? ?
          That was my thought. No excessive wear on the pads noticed after changing them. I guess I got lucky for once.
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
          X