Triumph: Switched Relay Splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph: Switched Relay Splitter

Howdy. So, the setup right now is a terminal strip block coming off the battery via 8 awg wire (positive and negative). One half is negative, the other half is positive.

Coming off of the positive half are six or seven in-line ATC fuse holders, going to six or seven individual relays (also having switched power fed into them), which in-turn feeds power to my numerous accessories.

The goal: clean it up. It's a lot of wire under the seat, which also means many points of failure. First thing I will do is swap-out the terminal strip block for a ATC fuse block (like what TC sells for the XS). Then, I'd like to use the terminal strip block for grounds only, or taking everything to the battery.

I guess there is no way to get away from using so many relays, which is causing a lot of the wire mess.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Btw, everything that has been added needing a relay includes:

Voltmeter
    Fuel Computer
    DC Cigg. Adapter
    LED Foglights
    HID headlights
    Scorpio Alarm
    Adaptiv TPX Radar Dector
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Let me ask this:

Okay, this may sound bizarre, but hear me out for a second:

If I had a single relay with the battery ground going to #85 on the relay, battery + power going to #30, switched power from a lighting circuit going to #86, then the output of #87 going to a fuse block, which I would then send the output of every fuse to the accessory's positive connections, could I get away with using only one relay for all of my accessories? I believe the relays are 30 amp relays. I'm wondering if the draw will be too much on that circuit, using just one relay?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I'll work for a while but it's not what you want, Ian.

Fuses are basically resistors. Resistors in parallel are not a good idea for fuses and putting the output of all the resistors onto one wire to run everything is an even badder bad idea.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post

Fuses are basically resistors. Resistors in parallel are not a good idea for fuses and putting the output of all the resistors onto one wire to run everything is an even badder bad idea.
        Noted. So, looks like I have to stick with multiple relays. Okey dokie.
        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Well, stick with the correct, multiple, fuses for the circuits and don't twist 'em all together.

What kind of Trumpet are you playing with? You may be able to get rid of a few relays and clean up the wiring but it'll change the fuses you have to use when you combine circuits. Try not to put a low-current circuit with a higher one on the same fuse and relay or vice versa.
          -- Scott
          _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

My Daytona 955i Centennial Edition:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-N...w?usp=drivesdk
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Ooooh! Yeah!

Ian, that's, like, a fine piece of performance art there!
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

Lol! Thanks. It's a fun bike.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Ian,
                  You have the makings of a museum in your shed
                  Of course you might have to keep some of them for a few more years

Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                    Ian,
                    You have the makings of a museum in your shed
                    Of course you might have to keep some of them for a few more years

Phil
                    Lol. 3 garages worth of bikes. 29 bikes.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post

So, ran this setup by an electrical engineer at the shop today, and he says to fuse the relay, and I should be good to go on the setup I have in-mind. However, he also referred me to the following, which I thought was pretty cool:

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=10
                      http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...PC-8/pc-8.html
                      http://pdm60.com/
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Nice links, I like the boxes! Your EE friend is correct, of course and fuses are supposed to be put in series with whatever they're protecting.

I took a quick look and found Triumphrat.net. There's no schematic or srvice manual at this link but the folks seem clueful:-
                        http://www.triumphrat.net/daytona-de...g-diagram.html

I have no idea how the relays and other circuits on your bike were done or who designed the electrical system for Triumph. Control circuits can get complicated and I don't even want to type the "L" word for one notorious British company.

Since you're changing the wiring/relays:

You can use two fuses, one low-current fuse for the relay coil and a larger fuse to protect the load.

You can tie the relay coil to the load circuit's fuse.

You can fuse only the high-current load and let the relay coil hang ten like Yamaha did for the XS1100 Headlight relays by feeding it straight off the alternator.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

So, the boss says to fuse the relay, then the switched output of the relay would be okay to goto the fuse block.
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Everything I'm doing is coming off the battery to power the relays and accessories.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

If you don't have one already, find a factory service manual and the wiring diagrams.

Keep in mind that newer vehicles have computer controls can be very temperamental and expensive to replace. There can be subtle anti-tamper designs and circuits alongside some not-so-subtle anti-theft circuits that require a dealer to unlock.

Just be careful, even the most basic circuit design discussions can get very close to arguments empirically specifying beer, wine, ale, or whisky as the correct beverage to serve with your haggis on Burns' Night:-

https://www.matchingfoodandwine.com/...r-with-haggis/
                              -- Scott
                              _____

Comment

Working...
                              X