2003 fjr1300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 fjr1300

It has been just about a year since I bought my 2003 FJR1300 with 45k miles on the odometer.

I have only driven it about 2k miles in that year, just now starting to get comfortable with the size, weight and height of the bike. Its a big bike and not easy to push around the garage and driveway. U-turns are much more difficult than with the XJ1100.

This year I plan to have multiple camping trips on this bike in the NC/TN/VA mountains.

The beauty of this bike is fuel injection, immense power, OEM luggage, good looks.

Happy new year to everybody on the forum!
    82 XJ1100 - sold
    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Always sad to see such a big big with so much potential, de-tuned. I know the potential of the engine, and I guess I don't see why they give the option to have a "sports" package. Even the R1-based FZ-1 can be programmed differently,
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

De-tuned from what potential? The FJR1300 makes @130 hp at the rear wheel and at or over 90 ft/lbs of torque.

Sure, it can be tapped for more power with a full exhaust system and power commander or similar, but most bikes have that potential as well.

Realistically, the period tests have the FJR1300 at 635 lbs wet weight, and the XS in period test was just over 600 lbs. My 80 SG confirms this, 605 lbs wet on a local scale. I don't know that I could tell 35 lbs difference between the two? Maybe it is how the weight is carried.

Super bike though!
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

hi Half Century,
        I find the same difficulty maneuvering my Concours .
        I am told it has to do with the steering rake of the Sport Touring type bikes.
        mines a bit top heavy too compared to the XS. That might be the massive 28 litre fuel tank that lets me go and go without refueling.
        roll on spring when we can get out and ride
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

The C10 is a heavy bike, 670-ish lbs wet weight, and with 7.7 gallons of fuel, would be top-heavy when filled up for sure.

I owned an ST 1300 for a while and it was not a slow handler or difficult to maneuver around the parking lot. It was 727 lbs wet. However Honda may have done a better job of putting the weight low and central compared to other bikes.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            The C10 is a heavy bike, 670-ish lbs wet weight, and with 7.7 gallons of fuel, would be top-heavy when filled up for sure.

I owned an ST 1300 for a while and it was not a slow handler or difficult to maneuver around the parking lot. It was 727 lbs wet. However Honda may have done a better job of putting the weight low and central compared to other bikes.
            Well, as you know, they did.........Majority of fuel tank is under seat...ST1100, all 7.4gal. of fuel is under seat. Least that lowers center of gravity somewhat.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks for the comments and observations.

I am 5'8" and it is a challenge to push the bike around the driveway. Pushing the bike backwards into the garage is almost frightening. What I ended up doing that works is to grab the rear grab bar behind me with one hand and the other hand on the handlebar and to push with both feet to get the bike to roll backwards. It works.

From a power standpoint the bike wants to wheelie if the throttle is twisted too aggressively. I cannot imagine wanting or needing any more power. The acceleration is much much more than the XJ1100.

I have been looking at the Motus brand as a pie-in-the-sky dream bike. I might even take a trip to Alabama on the FJR some day to visit the Motus factory and test drive a bike and maybe see if they can build a bike to suit my inseam. Just a dream today.
              82 XJ1100 - sold
              2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Yeah, 130 hp at the rear wheel plays 85 hp at the rear wheel. 90 ft/lbs torque plays 65 ft/lbs. And the FJR isn't even 100lbs more.

Love those Sport tourers!
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

2006 fjr

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
                  It has been just about a year since I bought my 2003 FJR1300 with 45k miles on the odometer.
                  !
                  I've a 2006. It can be a bit to push around but I manage. Hope to see you at XSEast 2017 at Twin Falls WV over Memorial Day.
                  Darrell
                  78E
                  80G project
                  06FJR

Comment

Riding

I am about 2:35 North of you in SW VA, about an hour from Mt Airey. If you are going to be anywhere close sometime, PM me, and we can meet up and ride. Lots of good roads up this way. My road sofa is a 04 Ultra Classic I bought new. 820 lbs dry. Well over 1200 lbs two up and loaded with gear. It only goes backwards if Im sitting on it!

Comment

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
                      I've a 2006. It can be a bit to push around but I manage. Hope to see you at XSEast 2017 at Twin Falls WV over Memorial Day.
                      This is the first I have heard of this rally. Thanks for the pointer. I will let you know if/when.

Cheers!
                      82 XJ1100 - sold
                      2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by 2manybikes View Post
                        I am about 2:35 North of you in SW VA, about an hour from Mt Airey. If you are going to be anywhere close sometime, PM me, and we can meet up and ride. Lots of good roads up this way. My road sofa is a 04 Ultra Classic I bought new. 820 lbs dry. Well over 1200 lbs two up and loaded with gear. It only goes backwards if Im sitting on it!
                        My FJR is a beast to push around. It is almost too much weight/width/height for me to handle when not rolling forward. Some day it will be too much. In the meantime, I really like riding it.

Last year I rode the BRP with a neighbor and his step-father. We camped just off the BRP very close to Floyd VA. I believe that is in your neck of the woods. We started in Burlington NC, rode to Blowing Rock NC to camp overnight. The second day we were on the BRP all day stopping near Floyd. The third day we were on back roads home to Burlington NC. It was my first time motocamping. We had a blast.

If you want to plan something, I could probably talk my neighbor into a multi day trip that would take us up to your area and meet you there. It would have to be during/after March spring break. He is finishing his PhD and doing his defense in March. He rides a Honda CTX1300 and he has skills.

Cheers
                        82 XJ1100 - sold
                        2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

This past weekend, my neighbor and I camped at Willville campground in Meadows of Dan VA. We set up camp and then went for a ride.

In Floyd VA my neighbor contracted a flat tire. After he plugged his tire, we went to an auto parts store to get a pressure gauge to keep track of his plugged tire. On the way to the auto store, my FJR1300 shut off while on the street riding.

We had to have it towed to the campground and work on it there. The owner helped diagnose and he had parts. The problem was a 1/2 dead ignition switch. He gave me a paddle switch, some wire, and some faston connectors. I was able to install the paddle switch and the bike started and ran.

We finished our 3-day stay and we drove home. The MacGyver switch worked and allowed a very pleasant ride home instead of a second ride in a tow vehicle.

The ignition switch is a known problem in the FJR1300. That was discovered after some Googling.

C'st la vie!
                          82 XJ1100 - sold
                          2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

HalfCentury,
                            I totally understand where you're coming from about the bike's weight.

My C14 weighs in at 677 lbs. dry and empty...

I've learned never to pull into a down hill sloped parking space head on...

Either these darn sport tourers need to go on a diet, or they need a reverse like a GW! Lol...

(Doesn't help if your short in the inseam when you're trying to back up... especially on gravel! DAMHIKIJD... )

Sorry to hear your ignition switch failed you! Good you got it figured out and was able to get it going again.

I sure enjoy riding mine, though...despite it's weight.
                            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Ignition switch success and warning

Ordered a NOS switch from Fleabay. The small connector was incorrect so I swapped the old small connector into the new switch wiring. Now the bike starts and runs. Saved about $110 buying the NOS switch. Very happy

Here is the warning. If you have a Gen 1 or Gen 2 FJR1300, you should read some the FJR forum threads from pre-2010. The ignition switch is a known weakness. Lots of current flows through the fat two wires and the switch has a tendency to fail. The savvy riders recommend that you always carry the necessary items to hot wire your ignition. It involves lifting the tank, propping it up and plugging in a hot wire arrangement of your choosing. I will be carrying these items from now on and the tools to get the tank in the air.

cheers and happy riding your FJR
                              82 XJ1100 - sold
                              2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Working...
                              X