Suzuki Re5 rotary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Re5 rotary

I was at a guys house the other day and I looked in his barn and there is a Suzuki Re5 rotary motorcycle sitting in there. it looks like it hasn't ran in a very long time. Not sure yet if he wants to part with it but I don't think I want it. Too complicated for me.
    81 XS11

I'd have it in a heartbeat. Seriously collectible.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

They had a short run.

This photo was taken at the fall rally in Suches, 2007.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Thanks Marty,
        That was the only time I ever have seen one in the flesh so to speak.
        Of the three BSA/Norton in England DKW in Germany and Suzuki in Japan this was the only one to make it to mass production , although only 2 years.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Wankel engine in these. Had a friend that owned a Suzuki Wankel but I never rode it. Supposed to be very smooth power output but wear on the rotary tips did them in. Norton also made a twin-rotor version.

Arctic Cat came out with a Wankel-powered snowmobile at about the same time that didn't stay in production long.

And, of course, Mazda produced a series of Wankel-powered cars (RX8 was the sport version) and possibly a small truck. Wankel engines have an interesting history.

These are not rotary engines; those engines are a class where the crankshaft is stationary and the pistons revolve around it.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
            These are not rotary engines; those engines are a class where the crankshaft is stationary and the pistons revolve around it.
            Both of those technologies are referred to as rotary engines. The early one where the odd number of cylinders rotate around the crank fell from favor many years ago. It was obsolete by the early 1920's.

Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Let me jump in my Way-Back machine Mr. Peabody. My first "real" job, (40 hour week, an actual paycheck) was at a Mazda Dealership when the rotary cars hit this side of the pond. RX2's, RX3's, RX7's, coupes, sedans and wagons. While I was relegated to prepping cars, dumping trash and cleaning windows, one of the techs (mechanics back then) had a RE5. I remember it being a weird looking and sounding bike. I was riding a ancient Suzuki TS100 and thought it was the machine to have. He did spend a lot of time after hours working on it and I learned a lot of non conversational English from him. It disappeared one day and he showed up later on a new BMW twin. When I inquired about the RE5, he said he wanted to ride a bike more than wrench on one. It fell into disfavor as did the RX series of cars, absolute buggers to tune and rapidly failing apex seals made em smoke worse than my 2-stroke Suzuki. I will say, the RX cars were surprisingly fast for there size and would rev to 7k in a heartbeat.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

My Wankel Story

My father moved from New Departure Hyatt Ball Bearings in Sandusky OH to Delco Moraine in Dayton to work on the Wankel engine for GM.

GM paid $56M for the rights to build it.

Dad got a patent on the Apex Seal.

One night Dad brought home one of two prototype Vegas with the rotary engine. He had a blast at stop lights. Folks had no expectation that a Vega would blow the doors off them and wind out past 20k RPM.

About 256 days before production started, the project was cancelled (~1977) because it was estimated that it would not meet the 'upcoming' 1981 emissions.

Ancient history now.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

About 256 days before production started, the project was cancelled (~1977) because it was estimated that it would not meet the 'upcoming' 1981 emissions.

Ancient history now.

.........Thanks,.....Ralph Nadar.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                    My father moved from New Departure Hyatt Ball Bearings in Sandusky OH to Delco Moraine in Dayton to work on the Wankel engine for GM.

One night Dad brought home one of two prototype Vegas with the rotary engine. He had a blast at stop lights. Folks had no expectation that a Vega would blow the doors off them and wind out past 20k RPM.

Ancient history now.
                    Hi Mike,
                    That is a cool story. Thanks for sharing.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post

One night Dad brought home one of two prototype Vegas with the rotary engine. He had a blast at stop lights. [FONT="Arial Black"]Folks had no expectation that a Vega would blow the doors off them and wind out past 20k RPM

Ancient history now.
                      Ditto on the unsuspecting souls that took on a RX2 or RX7. The rotary Mazda wasn't well known at all and looked like any other Datsun or Toyota. No low end power to speak of but get em past 45k (sound familiar) and they were rockets. Speed shifts were your friend
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                      X