XSR900 New to US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XSR900 New to US

So it appears that they have brought the XS series in some capacity to the US. Has anyone ridden an XSR900? Supposedly it is their attempt at a throw back to the 70's bikes. I have watched a a couple review mocies and it looks impressive.

79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

I recently rode an FZ09 here in the mountains. It isn't exactly my cup of tea. Managing all that power isn't all that much fun for me.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Yamaha must have their head up their azz...first off that doesnt even come close to 70's styling and secondly if they are into new retro bikes...then why is it we cant get the XJR1300? That is the next generation of the XS1100 but we dont get it here...I'm not impressed..YMMV
      Last edited by madmax-im; 05-23-2016, 06:20 PM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        I recently rode an FZ09 here in the mountains. It isn't exactly my cup of tea. Managing all that power isn't all that much fun for me.
        Interesting. What is it about the power delivery that isn't fun? Looking at the dyno charts, the FZ doesn't quite make as much peak torque at any point but it gets close to the XS1100, and doesn't pass the 85 hp mark (about what I see the XS1100 made at the rear wheel) until around 7500 rpm.

Granted, the FZ-09 peaks at 105-110 Hp depending on the dyno chart, but what I think you are experiencing (and you probably realize this already) is a far superior power to weight ratio even when riding below 7500-8000 rpm. As the FZ weighs 418lb wet, about 200lb less than an XS1100.

What I have experienced with FI bikes is the quickness with which the engine responds to throttle input, even when tuned to be less abrupt at throttle tip-in. A jerky throttle response from a glitchy fuel injection map is no fun.

I had a 2003 VStrom 1000 that was twitchy at low throttle openings, more because of the leanness at cruise which a Dobeck FI module from Holeshot Performance set to Dale Walkers specs fixed completely.

In the end, nothing beats a good set of tuned carbs for buttery smoothness and "right" feeling response.

As an example, my ZRX1200 puts out a good bit more horsepower to the rear wheel than my buddy's 2015 R1200RT (New BMW liquid cooled boxer twin) and about the same torque. His bike weighs about 100 lb more than the ZRX fully fueled, and I weigh about 100 lb more than him, so the power to weight is real similar. In a roll-on from the same road speed and engine rpm, below 4000-4500 rpm the BMW walks away from the ZRX because of the instant response from fuel injection. It is a bit humbling, and that is where I see FI being an advantage (response at any time and any rpm, carbs can't be perfect everywhere, all the time, just ain't remotely possible). However from 4500-5000 rpm on up, the ZRX leaves the R1200RT kicking and screaming in it's wake.

The ZRX whoops my 80SG at any speed, any gear. From that perspective it's my wrist that controls what either bike does, which brings me back around to wonder if it's the fuel injection characteristics that are spoiling the FZ-09 for you vs all-out too much power. Which can we really ever have TOO much?
        Last edited by Bonz; 05-23-2016, 10:21 PM.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
        X