Honda ST1100...back again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda ST1100...back again

An opportunity came up for me to buy back my former ST1100...I wasnt gonna do it but at the asking price is about as cheap an entry to the Sport Touring genre' as one could possibly find anywhere...short of being gifted a bike ...So like Brant and Dean...the ST1100 will again take up a prominent role in my daily riding and SwampThing will be kept in the stable relegated to XS rallies and occaisional dayrides... So maybe i'm good for another 10 years of riding...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Ben, you still have to ride the XS when we go riding.
    Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
    Current rides:
    80 XS1100SG
    82 JX1100
    83 Venture Royale
    86 V-Max

Comment

Just because photo...

1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by mlew View Post
        Ben, you still have to ride the XS when we go riding.
        Absolutely but now I no longer feel constrained in my abilty to go cross country if i so desire...and I do...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Where was the pic of the train taken?
          Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
          Current rides:
          80 XS1100SG
          82 JX1100
          83 Venture Royale
          86 V-Max

Comment

Downtown Sanford NC
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
              An opportunity came up for me to buy back my former ST1100...I wasnt gonna do it but at the asking price is about as cheap an entry to the Sport Touring genre' as one could possibly find anywhere...short of being gifted a bike ...So like Brant and Dean...the ST1100 will again take up a prominent role in my daily riding and SwampThing will be kept in the stable relegated to XS rallies and occaisional dayrides... So maybe i'm good for another 10 years of riding...
              Good choice again Ben. Just be sure to initially remove the left side panel, unplug and clean those contacts to the VR...then add a dob of dielectic grease and plug back in. Also, remove that regulator and clean backside of it and the heavy mounting plate. Mounting plate IS a heat-sink for the regulator......will definitely save you from replacing regulator or alternator in future. Also, change the fuel filter(right side of fuel tank as I'm sure you know) and use nothing but an OEM Honda fuel filter.
              BTW, having the STeed, designed specificly for fast, trouble-free, 50+mpg, and LD rides..........have it haul your butt and the rest of you this direction.......Westoc here in G. Junction end of Aug.(26-30) would be a good start!
              Last edited by motoman; 05-22-2016, 05:14 PM.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

All things are being considered Brant...but again making no promises... Theres a fellow St rider about 60 miles from me who has helped me work on this bike in the past...he has the most immaculate 3 bay garage with enough space for 5 full sized cars...full insulated...AC in summer heat in winter...built in hydraulic floor lift...Extremely skilled and knowledgeable...I'm in good hands...
                Last edited by madmax-im; 05-22-2016, 05:26 PM.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

All things are being considered Brant...but again making no promises... Theres a fellow St rider about 60 miles from me who has helped me work on this bike in the past...he has the most immaculate 3 bay garage with enough space for 5 full sized cars...full insulated...AC in summer heat in winter...built in hydraulic floor lift...Extremely skilled and knowledgeable...I'm in good hands...
                  Nice Ben.......ya got a sharp STeed rider up in same town where Marty lives also......ooppps....thats S. Carolina.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    Nice Ben.......ya got a sharp STeed rider up in same town where Marty lives also......ooppps....thats S. Carolina.
                    Close...thats N. GA...in Dahlonega...Tom Vincent(aka Vinny) is the man!!!
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Close...thats N. GA...in Dahlonega...Tom Vincent(aka Vinny) is the man!!!
                      You got it.........he be the one I was thinkin' of.

Comment

You got it.........he be the one I was thinkin' of.
                        i knew that...LOL
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Good choice again Ben. Just be sure to initially remove the left side panel, unplug and clean those contacts to the VR...then add a dob of dielectic grease and plug back in. Also, remove that regulator and clean backside of it and the heavy mounting plate. Mounting plate IS a heat-sink for the regulator......will definitely save you from replacing regulator or alternator in future.
                          Not on his Brant. It's an '01.

Yep, way to go Ben. KEEP IT...

Riding it to PA?
                          Last edited by DeanR; 05-23-2016, 04:15 AM.
                          80 SG
                          81 SH in parts
                          99 ST1100
                          91 ST1100

Comment

Hey Dean..the ST isnt in my possession as of yet...will be trailering SwampThing up to Coudersport...see y'all Friday!!!
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                              Not on his Brant. It's an '01.

Yep, way to go Ben. KEEP IT...

Riding it to PA?
                              Oh yes.......it's aged enough, and wouldn't care to get stranded somewhere on roadside, better do those preventative maintenance little chores.

Comment

Working...
                              X