Harley Factory Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Factory Day

Today was demo ride day at the local Harley dealer. My neighbor who owns a Honda CTX 1300 and I rode some V twins.

I rode two bikes

750 street bike
    Cramped. It gave me a sore hip. The bike needs to be longer. I am only 5'8". A really tall person would probably not be able to ride it. Parking lot maneuvering caused the bike to shake in the forward direction. The V twin motor is erratic at very low rpms.
    The transmission was awesome. No click during shifting. The high gear is only for the freeway. I loved the transmission. I wish I could have this trans on my XJ1100.

Sportster 1200
    The bike shook my bones, vibrated my feet and blurred my vision. I cannot believe people actually like to ride these things. During a slow easy sweeping curve the bike was noticeably weaving. Ugh. Blech
    82 XJ1100 - sold
    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

BFD...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
      Today was demo ride day at the local Harley dealer. My neighbor who owns a Honda CTX 1300 and I rode some V twins.

I rode two bikes

750 street bike
      Cramped. It gave me a sore hip. The bike needs to be longer. I am only 5'8". A really tall person would probably not be able to ride it. Parking lot maneuvering caused the bike to shake in the forward direction. The V twin motor is erratic at very low rpms.
      The transmission was awesome. No click during shifting. The high gear is only for the freeway. I loved the transmission. I wish I could have this trans on my XJ1100.

Sportster 1200
      The bike shook my bones, vibrated my feet and blurred my vision. I cannot believe people actually like to ride these things. During a slow easy sweeping curve the bike was noticeably weaving. Ugh. Blech
      It's a Harley ,suppose to do that.!!!, The more I ride my friend s the more I want one.!Peace.!
      1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
      2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

Originally posted by tomcos67 View Post
        It's a Harley ,suppose to do that.!!!, The more I ride my friend s the more I want one.!Peace.!
        Which model Harley does your friend own?
        82 XJ1100 - sold
        96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
        2000 ZRX1100 - sold
        2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

I have ridden several model of bikes. I owned a 76 xlch kick start only. Yes they vibrate a bit and yes dont bother using your mirrors at speed. Its not for everyone. You ride what you like. My Vstar has some shake but not real bad, My gold wing had no shake at all. I did enjoy all of them for what they were. Ride what you like and wear a big smile.
          81 LH in process
          09 vstar 1300
          only allowed 2

Comment

Ever wounder why all the HD riders have the nice looking ladies on the back? Vibrations??
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hmm. that's the best explanation yet!!

It all makes sense now.......

I See The Light...

but i still hate the 1200 sportster that's in the garage.

i can ride my seca 750 any distance any day of the week and not have a worry about breakdowns or issues.

the 12... it's record distance without a breakdown, 7 miles. (1997 12 custom)
              50,000 miles and from everything i've torn into, 50K on a HD equals 300K on a jap bike.

previous owners did Zero maintenance on that bike.

it had a rough life, so it's not fully HD's fault.
              But i do have fun blaming them.

once a year i think it would be cool to ride a HD, so i work on it, drop another $500 in parts and it runs for another few miles.
              (6 years now)(i'm a slow learner)

i like to ride, i'll stick with war pig, it's never let me down.
              1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
              1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Well I did a little better on my hd. Most rides were about 150 to 200. Now when I got there I did need to adjust the chain. For the 2 or 3 years I had the sporty I only replaced 1 speedo, a horn, and 3 sets of motor mounts. Lol
                81 LH in process
                09 vstar 1300
                only allowed 2

Comment

I rode to Sturgis and almost all the way back on my 73 shovelhead. One of the panheads broke down on the way home. The flathead would have made it too. Great trip but I don't think I could do it again. Especially now that I don't drink. The Jack Daniels helped pull the knife out of my neck every night!
                  Tim
                  1979 xs1100sf black.
                  1973 Harley fx.
                  2005 Honda 450x.

Comment

Which model Harley does your friend own?
                    Sorry .!Didn't see post till now.My friend has 2005 Dyna superglide bobber style .Straight handle bars ,reach.I feel like I got beat up when exiting bike. No wind screen. But fun for short distance if u can afford.Peace.
                    1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
                    2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I rode two bikes

750 street bike

Sportster 1200

Did you happen to see or get to ride their new model that is radiator water cooled? It had just come out bout a 1 1/2 earlier in limited supply at that time.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                          ....lol.....good one Brian. Now that bout' covers it for the most part. Hope your doin' well..........through you again, would like to see your three friends here in this part of the country again.....still remember..they sure were a hoot to visit with when I met them in Green River, Utah and led them down to Moab, Utah to the RV/campground park!
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi there Brant. Jim still talks about that, and he's been back to Sturgis a couple of time since. Next year he's talking about doing Route 66 coast to coast, and trying to talk me into going with him. Thinking about it, but you dont have XJR's over there, and I wont be ridin' no Harley. Might have to borrow someones XS....
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                              Hi there Brant. Jim still talks about that, and he's been back to Sturgis a couple of time since. Next year he's talking about doing Route 66 coast to coast, and trying to talk me into going with him. Thinking about it, but you dont have XJR's over there, and I wont be ridin' no Harley. Might have to borrow someones XS....
                              Hi Brian,
                              Coast to Coast is an awesome idea.
                              However Route 66 goes from Chicago to LA about 2400 hundred miles...all the way
                              Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                              X