Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Head Bearings

Hello All,

I have a 1981 XJ650 Maxim. The steering head bearings need replacement.

I have rebuilt bikes in the past and installed roller bearings. I have no plans to fully rebuild this bike and was wondering if it is possible to just replace the individual ball bearings, upper and lower, without fully disassembling the front end. I was hoping I could easily pull the top triple tree, loosen the stem and drop it enough to get to the individual ball bearings keeping the original races.

Any thoughts or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Larry
    Larry
    1979 XS1100SF
    1981 XJ650 Maxim
    1981 XS650 (Frame off rebuild/mild custom)
    1981 SR500 (Pristine Stock Original)
    1979 XT500 (Configured as a TT500)
    2008 HD Sportster (With Texas Ranger sidecar)
    1967 Honda 305 Scrambler (Frame off restoration)
    1966 Honda S90 (Frame off restoration/My first bike)

Originally posted by Roadman48 View Post
    Hello All,

I have a 1981 XJ650 Maxim. The steering head bearings need replacement.

I have rebuilt bikes in the past and installed roller bearings. I have no plans to fully rebuild this bike and was wondering if it is possible to just replace the individual ball bearings, upper and lower, without fully disassembling the front end. I was hoping I could easily pull the top triple tree, loosen the stem and drop it enough to get to the individual ball bearings keeping the original races.

Any thoughts or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Larry
    FWIW, never mix new bearings, ball or roller type with used races. They all, sooner than later will start creating unnecessary wear on both roller type or needle type rollers. Bearing races should ALWAYS stay with their mated roller or needle type. Good try, but 'no go' my friend. Besides, with roller type, the roller cage has to be removed WITH the bearings and re-installed the same way, as a new unit. No gettin' around it in either case.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I tried to replace steering head bearings once with the front end still assembled and it was a B*tch. I ended up stripping the trees anyway so after that I just start the job that way.

The bearings are an assembly and you cannot just replace damaged rollers anyway and it would be a bad idea if you could...

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
      X