My FJR1300 ride......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My FJR1300 ride......

Saturday morning,......Chris the neighbour is slightly peeved off that the dealer who was s'posed to have his used K1200LT-c ready for him to pick up, had in fact flattened the battery cos he hadn't turned the GPS off correctly, then tried to start the bike. Result was a welded in starter motor relay (which is a well documented effect). Anyway "how about a loaner bike?" says Chris ...and not some piddly 250cc thing either.....

"ok"...and out from the showroom comes the FJR1300, with about 400kms on the clock. brand spanking new....

"wanna take the bike for a ride?" Chris casually mentions to me
    "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????????????????????????...ok "

Couldn't find out to start the flaming thing.....Chris had used the kill button, something I never do. Verrry zippy motor, motorized screen (same as the K12), no side luggage or top box, no ABS, but shaft drive ....single turn signal switch thingy again....

Off outta the street and awayyyyyyyyyy. The suspension is a lot "spongier" than the telelever of the K12, especially if you get on the pix a bit. But streets ahead of "The Tardis's" suspension, but there again, even the wheelbarrow felt better......

How strange the handlebars felt...sorta smallish..as everything else felt really....no music to ride by........really miss my music....major invention that. Didn't bother to try an do a wheely although Chris said he did in 3rd,...accidentally.

Dunno what the cost is $18,000-$20,000 Oz maybe (1/2 that for USA equiv). Street bike maybe for the everyday hop around town???

Dunno if I would buy one, compared to what else is floating around for the price....but nice to say I have got around to giving it a twist of the throttle, and yep...had to get a photo...soon to be posted.

Phill

I stopped in at the Yammy dealer in Reno Nevada on a layover yesterday. The sales rep told me that deliveries had been pushed back to November 02 for those who preordered at $500 US for the priviledge. The next models available will be 2004's. No word as to additional color options etc. Bandit note - $7399 takes a 1200S out the door. Phil, did you happen to notice what setting the suspension was on? I read that "soft" is horrible and "hard" is pretty good.

Deano
    still looking
    Deano K.
    FJR1300a
    82XJ (now Kirk's)

Comment

Originally posted by Deano K
      Phil, did you happen to notice what setting the suspension was on? I read that "soft" is horrible and "hard" is pretty good.

Deano
      still looking

Hi Deano,
      Funny you should say that, Chris is about "twice" the weight I am, and just before he gave me the bike he flipped the rear suspension preload, from "hard" (which is where he has everything set, all of the time) to "soft", by some little lever on the LHS, just a bit lower under the seat. On Beryl, you actually have to flip up the rider seat to get to the preload adjuster, but not on this one....

I was more talking about the front suspension, as I didn't get to go anywhere really apart from the suburban roads, which have a 60kph speed limit, (a quick blip up to 120kph and then on the pix was "tested"...............(I did pick my location well though....)

In to work by 05:00 this morning and I see the "newish" K1200LT-C in Chris's driveway on the way past...sooooo the FJR1300 is back in the showroom I presume.

Phill

Comment

Deano, Phill, I read a review somewhere that said a lot of really nice things about it, comfort and power and brakes, but they thought the handling was a good notch below the competition
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Since I'm pretty interested in these things, I've been reading every review that I can get my hands on. What seems to be a recurring theme are two complaints. If you're tall (Mike) you won't like it because of wind buffet. (Not a problem for me) The second is the lack of adjustability for the rear suspension. You've got a choice between mooshy and not-quite-so-mooshy. BUT when you read how they arrived at this conclusion it's after some pretty hard riding, which is emphasizing the SPORT portion of the Sport-Touring configuration. It's not a pure sport bike. It's designed for a more upright (read that less fatiguing) riding position. In any event, I expect that Yamaha will be forced to address the rear suspension issue in order to improve what appears to be largely a winner of a bike at a great price point.

Wishin' I'd preordered 2 - as rare as they are...
          Deano
          Deano K.
          FJR1300a
          82XJ (now Kirk's)

Comment

well Deano, upgrading the suspension wouldn't be the end of the world - you might recall I got dissatisfied with the B12 suspension, and put progressive fork springs and a progressive rear shock in it, so it's not a deal-killer.
            Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Oh yeah - no argument there. It possible that there's even some aftermarket stuff out there for the back end. (I don't know) What I do know is that it would be pretty easy for Yamaha or aftermarket to improve on it. From what I read, the front end is fine. I read the phrase "infinitely adjustable" which sounds emotionally correct rather than technically, but evidently they liked it.
              Deano K.
              FJR1300a
              82XJ (now Kirk's)

Comment

FJR 13

Hi guys

I'm new to this e-stuff so be patient with me. I came steamin' into my local dealer last summer with all the stuff I'd read about the FJR, all excited like, and babbling about when would we be gettin' 'em here in the States. He gives me a dumb look...
                This past April he ordered one for himself.
                3 August I see the new machine sitting out front, he meets me at the front door holding the key up, and says, "Be careful with my baby." Being the farther of daughters, I know what he means.
                The bike is a great big howler! It sits lower than my K bike or 78XS11, seating position is on the comfy side between R1 and K1100LT. You wrap yourself around the tank (I'm 5'9", and 180 lbs). Handling seems good enough (But then again, I live in Iowa), suspension is more firm than the K, I wouldn't call it mushy.
                The windshield could be larger, instead of that arty shape they decided on, but I'm spoiled by the K bike. The engine is the star of the show, and they could sell tickets for a ride. Beg a ride, it's a real treat. Wish I had $11,500.00 laying around here.

Thanks

Comment

So yer sayin' that your local dealer ACTUALLY forked over for one of these things on the faint hope that somebody might actually buy it???? I'm being slightly incredulous and sarcastic because none of the Fargen Bastege dealers around Portland thought of such a novel idea and instead said - "If you want to see one you have to buy one." Now there's a fine bit of mental decrepitude for ya!!

Deano
                  Still waiting for a free sit

Comment

CRAP! I see I'm not logged in as myself but as a younger, smarter and more hansome version. See YA!!

Deano

Comment

Originally posted by koehlerk
                      CRAP! I see I'm not logged in as myself but as a younger, smarter and more hansome version. See YA!!

Deano

Aha,.........so it's the much much older, much much more wrinkled version huh....nahhhhhhhh no one in their right mind would let such an olde sit on an FJR 1300, let alone play with the keys in it...hehhehehehehehhe

Phill

Comment

Working...
                      X