1980 gs1000g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 gs1000g

I'll hopefully be looking at a CL-find GS1000G for $400. The owner claims it was restored 7 years ago, but has not been started in 2 years.

So, factor-in tires, battery, and oil, and selling it in the Spring for $1200+, I could still make a profit. I already have a GS650L, and a GS750 with an 850 engine, so nothing new to me.
    Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 10-11-2015, 02:44 PM.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Deal.

Sounds like you talked yourself into it!?!?? Good luck...
    1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
    2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

Yup, picking it up tomorrow.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

So, I ended-up grabbing this for $400. Needs the carbs cleaned. I'll grab a new seat cover and re-upholster it, change the oil in the engine, middle and final drives, check the valve clearances, look at the need for caliper and master cylinder rebuilds, and look-over the electrical.

1979 XS1100F

Comment

You will fix it and ride it. Then, you won't be able to part with it. I now I wouldn't want to get rid of it. You could make a case for the GS being better than the XS.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Lol, I have too many bikes as it is Marty, but I think I'll ride it for a trip or two and realize it's just like the other two GS's I own. Only cool thing is the gear indicator.
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Well, today I decided that I would rebuild the GS with my younger brother over the Winter, and give it to him. He's young & dumb, and will probably kill himself (my biggest reservation), however I feel like it'll be fun toget him involved and see how maturely he handles of the responsibility of owning a motorcycle.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Ian,

Sounds like a good way to get him involved ...

Has your younger brother ever ridden a motorcycle before?
                Marco

Current bikes:
                1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                1979 Honda CBX
                2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Yeah Marco, I let him ride my bikes every now and then. He's never really had the funds (or whatever the excuse) to own one. He stays current with his CY endorsement.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                  X